I ran a red light, hit someone - until I didn’t - but they almost got my father-in-law for $8100

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is sad but your starting point these days has to be: if someone you don’t know phones you up then it is probably a scam of some sort, and hanging up is probably the safest thing to do.
    My mum got scammed a year or so ago — someone claiming to be calling from their internet provider who managed to wheedle out enough info to get logged into her bank account and tried to take £20k: luckily the bank’s software systems tagged it as a suspicious transaction and put it on hold, and my mum was getting suspicious too by now. She hung up and called the bank and the transaction was cancelled: no harm done, and she is very suspicious of any callers she does not personally know now — useful lesson learned.

Wildcard_35 and Greggorios like this.
  2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Same thing happened to my wife's grandfather... he got a call saying his grandson had been jailed for some reason and needed money asap...

Except his grandson (my wifes cousin) was deployed as a MP (of all things) in Afghanistan at the time.

But, he almost fell for it. Thank goodness he still had enough sense to realize it was ********.

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Glad to hear he didn’t send the money anywhere. My folks are getting older. I never thought they’d ever fall for any kind of scam, but I don’t know any more. The human brain is a funny thing.

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I'm sorry your father in law was so gullible, because this was an obvious hoax and he's likely to get victimized if he's willing to give money someone based on a phone call. Obviously -- or not obviously, I guess -- a real lawyer would have put the client on the phone to confirm the validity of the request for a retainer.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

When I obtained power of attorney for my dad I found that he had;

Three insurance policies on his washing machine (all with the same company), none of which he had claimed on when his washing machine broke down.

His house was insured twice with the same company.

He was paying £18 a month to the water company for a policy which insured his central heating and gave him an annual boiler service. He did not have central heating.

His drive had been re-surfaced, it sank such that the sump and exhaust of his car scraped on the tarmac.

The double glazed units of all his windows (just the glazing, not the frames) were replaced at a cost greater than the original windows three years earlier. The more efficient glass would apparently cut his heating bills by between 2 and 5 percent, giving a payback period of up to 200 years!

His house had been put in trust at a cost of £8k. This would avoid paying any any inheritance tax on death. Only the house was not even worth a third of the tax threshold.

He lived on his own three miles out of town, I think that he was lonely and liked talking to salespeople. An intelligent man, but dementure took its' toll.

I cancelled the policies with the insurance and water companies and managed to get him refunds, but I could do nothing about the others.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

My daughter got engaged to a wrong ‘un some years back. Everyone tried to tell her but she wouldn’t listen. Helped her max out two credit cards and get a rental apartment in her name before she finally saw sense. Yeah, I bailed her out, initially by paying off the cards and telling her she needed to pay me back, interest free. She moved back in with Mum, found herself a decent bloke about a year later and I wrote off the debt. We’ve all made mistakes. She learnt by it so all’s well.

7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

You could buy a half decent guitar for $8100...

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The scammers keep getting more and more sophisticated. I get annual training on phishing and various scams, and I still have to stop and think very carefully on some of these.
    Lately I've been getting very convincing emails from a provider like Amazon or Verizon saying my membership has changed, or a package has been mailed. I think, "oh no, someone stole my identity",
    and I start reading the email. The email is designed to get me to panic and start clicking on the links.

Luckily I know better than to click on anything, and I also know how to look very carefully at the web address which usually gives it away. If I still think
    it might be real I go directly to the website using my own google search and browser, never clicking on any hot links provided in the message. So far it always turns out to be bogus.

That's the key-- if someone calls you, texts you, or emails you, never reply by using the links they provide. Tell them you will contact them directly, separately. When you call, text,
    or email the real McCoy they quickly let you know that someone was trying to scam you and they weren't trying to contact you.

But the frequency and sophisitication keeps ramping up. Those guys in Nigeria, Russia, China, or home grown right here know that they can send out 10,000 texts or emails and if they
    only snare 1 person they win. And they definitely target the elderly. They probably bought the AARP mailing list from a hacker and so know exactly whom to pursue.

9. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

This scam is such a big problem in Japan that they have posters warning people not to fall for it. Some ATM machines have warning sticking as well.

Chunkocaster and Greggorios like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

First my "grandson" called and said how he had gotten in some trouble and needed about four thousand bucks to keep out of jail and keep the incident off the record. I told him that's pretty funny since you've got a rap sheet as long as a truck drivers tale. Then my "granddaughter" called she too had an accident problem. I told her now honey, your brother just called a few days ago, and now here you are. You two must be about the worst drivers in the family. I posted on this a little while back when it happened.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I got a call a few weeks ago from one of those double numbers you can't call back. I felt kind of bad because I wasn't in the mood to play and when the guy said high grandpa, I told him you ain't my grandkid, and I ain't sending you no four thousand dollars. After I hung up, I wondered if it might have actually been my oldest grandson, cause last time I actually did get a call from him it was a double number. The hotel where he was staying didn't take incoming calls.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

"got a call saying his grandson had been jailed for some reason and needed money asap"

Mom got that call, too. "Hi, grandma, this is your grandson. I had an accident etc. etc."

Mom played along and listened to the spiel.

Then she said "I'm just glad you're not hurt, Joey. Where should I send the money?"

When "Joey" answered (you have to know how mild mannered and soft spoken my mom is to truly appreciate the following) she said:

"I don't have a grandson named Joey so get the h*ll off my d*mn phone". CLICK

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

You need a better spoofing app for your friends cell Mike... :twisted:

If my kids get jailed, he is staying in for one night at least. ;O

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a debt that I paid off to a law firm. I made the payments online and when it was paid off the account shut down. But soon after I started getting calls that the debt had been sold and a new company would start taking my payments. I told them to send me written documentation which never came. When they called again, I asked them again for the documentation and they said they'd sent it. I told them when I got the paperwork they'd see my money. It never came. They still called me for a while after that and I just hung up on them.

My relations know better then to call me to help them with money. It's more likely to be the other way around. :D

Toto'sDad and Greggorios like this.
  15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had that happen on a second Mortgage. My lawyer that did my closing for my sale testified at the guys trial. He sold a package of $300,000.00 to ten different investors or groups, Of paid off mortgages that he was already satisfied with payment. He went to jail...

Paul in Colorado and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He’s 89 and my MiL is 92. Cut ‘em some slack . This might be the start of some “confusion”. We were trying to ascertain that today...

17. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear but glad you all caught it in time. I just don't get it...These scams that prey on the elderly aren't new. Been going on for some time. You'd think that someone would get smart and start throwing the book at the one's the authorities catch and then paste their pictures all over the news and papers.

18. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear that..

My mom almost got scammed $5500 on a car sale in Craigslist about 12 years ago. Thankfully she asked me if she was getting a good deal.

Lo and behold, it was a “retired airforce” residing in Europe wanting to sell their car.

Folks like this should be detained behind bars.

Among the thousands, there’s quite a few that fall for this..

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Amen, Mike......I believe in Karma, and everyone who "mocks" the elderly for lost mental faculties will one day get that disrespect back in spades. Even the "How in the WORLD did they fall for that nonsense" comments are unkind. Some of these scammers are incredibly convincing, and I know how gullible some members of my family would be to their lies.....

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's about time someone set up a trustworthy business that hunts these scammers down and passes their information on to their victims or potential victims. Home address etc.

I'd be tempted to make an overseas trip just for the satisfaction of dishing out some heavy justice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.