I pimped my CE2 clone!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MatchlessMan, Jan 17, 2015.

1. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

I recently bought a kit-built true bypass CE2 clone for a very good price via eBay. Whilst the sound was lovely, there was some intermittent noise plus clearly audible clock breakthrough, and the pedal looked very drab and unfinished:

[​IMG]

After a bit of research I realised the clock noise problem (audible even when bypassed) was caused by the input signal running the whole length of the circuit board between the input socket and the footswitch, passing close to the clock circuit on the way. I replaced this with a run of screened cable. The builder hadn't done a great job on some of the solder joints, so I replaced a few of the flying leads. While I was in there I swapped out the 100nF cap in the LFO circuit for a 68nF, increasing the speed range into Leslie territory. (I don't much care for the really slow chorus speeds anyway.)

These changes sorted the noise problems and got the pedal sounding how I wanted. I had thought of adding a vibrato mod and depth control, but TBH it now sounds so perfect there would be little point.

Now to the case. I rubbed it down with wet-or-dry and sprayed a few light coats of Plastikote sky blue enamel. A friend gave me a sheet of laser-printable waterslide decal. I grabbed the 'CE-2 Chorus' legend from a pdf of the user manual, pasted it into a word document, and added RATE and DEPTH above. After applying the decal, I baked the case at 110C for 10 minutes and let it cool before rebuilding.

I replaced the generic kit knobs with a pair that look like early Boss ones.

In a final act of semiconductor snobbery, I swapped out the CoolAudio 3207 chip for a NOS Panasonic. It made absolutely no difference to the sound, but gives me a warm glow inside!

Here's the result, a cheeky homage to an 80s classic:

[​IMG]

This is the first chorus that I have loved, rather than just tolerated or even hated. Boss got so much right! First gig tonight...

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very nice! Want.

Love the boss features. I really like those cheapie knobs it came with though for whatever reason. Save em!

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great before and after pics. Turned out lovely!

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! Simple and elegant! Nice job!! I'm starting down the pedal building trail and love to see how guys paint them. There are some hilarious pedal paint jobs out there.

5. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

I never throw out components!

Thank you guys. Off to set up for tonight's gig :)

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Those cheapie knobs are the same knobs on my way-to-expensive Hermida Zendrive...

7. clapton

clapton TDPRI Member

Roland uses some similar ones on their amps. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.