Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I never realized how cruel cancer is...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AndreDanican, Oct 12, 2017.

1. So sad! My condolences sent your way.

Cancer should be a word for the middle ager- single people, to find "that person" so your not alone.... !
    Love is real, can be ragged, is worth laughter in every precious breath.

2. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

3. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

My sincere and deepest condolences for your loss!

I've known 2 people who have been taken by pancreatic cancer, and its never a quick painless way to go.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Condolences to you and your family. :(

I hated the 12 rounds of chemo, the 25 radiation treatments, the blood transfusions, the baldness, the bouts with pneumonia from chemo and radiation, the not-so-nice nurses, the financial drain, etc. But, knock on wood, I'm still here. :)

Commodore 64 and AndreDanican like this.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    My deepest condolences.

I feel I am slowly becoming desensitized to all this.
    It's much too frequent and much too close to home.

Am I indifferent about my feelings towards my loved ones?
    No, I continue to love them the same, but with a greater
    respect for the life we have here on this earth.

Cancer has taken some mighty good folks I know and love.
    I guess that's the quest in my mind, how do I justify losing
    good decent people to cancer while there are cruel and
    dishonest people laying traps for the innocent in a healthy body?

Some parts of me can only rationalize it to a spiritual issue. Caught in the middle.
    A battle of sorts. We become casualties of a war we can't see, therefore
    have no defense against it.

I agree with the comments of the treatments just making matters
    more complicated. But this is the research we are funding and
    have to accept it's outcome.

I lost two great family members, husband and wife within a year
    of each other from the same cancer and the suspected cause
    was the same medication prescribed to both for a totally unrelated condition!

Maybe this is our Black Plague?
    Our entrance into our own extinction?
    Rambling thoughts indeed.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Bob Dylan:

Soon as a man is born, you know the sparks begin to fly
    He gets wise in his own eyes, and is made to believe in lies
    Who will deliver him from the death he's bound to die?

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Sad to hear and as I have recent experience I can relate.

A week ago we buried a close friend who lost his life to some very agressive brain tumour(s). In a few weeks we will celebrate his 48:th birthday. Without him...

7. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Very Sorry form me as well! as i mentioned in another thread i hope one day they find a cure for this nasty disease.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It is a cruel disease for the person it takes and for the people who grieve the loss
    i can only speak for myself everyone has their own experience of grief but for me after my mother passed for a long time any happy memories always came second to what i witnessed
    time will eventually take the edge off the rawness you will be feeling hang in there
    you have my deepest sympathy

9. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2014
    Montreal
    So much loss and grief in this thread! A common theme is whether treatment is worth it. For my Dad, the second round of chemo nearly killed him (I guess that's what it's supposed to do???). He never recovered his strength after that in spite of better and encouraging CT scan results, it was a long downhill slide until the end. There is an element of trauma present in may of these posts, "remember the good times", the images burned in my brain from the last weeks are hard to shake and common unwanted at moments. I know this will lessen over time.

Gibson likes this.

10. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

*Apologies for using your post as a starting point,,,

My Mum had a long run with cancer... started with ovaries where they took out all that stuff out as well as her Pancreas and Bile duct.... making her an instant diabetic when she woke up...

Well, she lived a good 20 yrs or more after that.. managing quite well with dad's help... went around Australia a few times towing a caravan or on bus tours, went to NZ 3 times.... had a good time with friends...

..though it did freak me out watching her stab her finger a lot taking blood sugar samples.. she did them like a trooper smiling at my discomfort......

Until the cancer came back and there was nothing left to chop out really.... she just slowly faded away and looked like a young girl toward the end, size wise ....she had always been a bit plump in my memory.. I remember it was her old hands that told the story...

Never once did she complain about pain or take any chemo/pain killers.... I held her by the frail shoulders and implored! Mum, you have to tell us if you are are in any pain,,, we can get help for that...

Never once did I see her in pain or grimace... she just lost the strength to even raise her arms to read a book, just got slowly eaten away...mostly pain free......

She died at home next to Dad, in bed,, He said she just stirred a bit, took a long soft sigh..then died....

No ambulances or hospital emergency wards.... just died quietly at home in her own bed... followed by a visit from her doctor to handle the rest in a dignified way.......

I rest easy knowing my Mother was taken by the big C and never suffered in the way many others do...

I had a tumor removed from my Colon last year,, all recent tests give me an all clear.... I've tested the waters too..

Everything gives you cancer, I guess....:rolleyes:

Lord knows the crap I've breathed in at work/play over the years... my lungs are still fine...

My Auntie smoked all her adult life.. died of dementia complications...none of which were due to her lungs....

a few tunes that come to mind...

AndreDanican likes this.

11. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I am so very sorry for your loss.

12. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Peace and comfort to you .

13. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Meister

I feel your pain, I lost my son (39) August 2016, then my wife this past February both to cancer. We do what we can to survive, and we do all we can to help. Stay strong

AndreDanican likes this.

14. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear. Just found out yesterday my sister in law in Germany has terminal cancer.

15. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    I'm sad to hear about your Dad, it's gut wrenching, my Mum was taken
    by cancer and now my sister is slowly succumbing to it too.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Along with others during my lifetime, I watched my mother die, it's not a pretty sight. If they have issues from blood loss, they often go into hypovolemic shock, if they have heart issues they go into cardiogenic shock, neither is a pretty sight. The stuff on TV where Hank Voight hip shots the bad guy and he falls over dead? Not likely, I have a friend who shot a guy who was robbing his mother at a store they owned, hit him center mass with a twelve gauge loaded with #4s at twenty feet, the guy lived long enough to get off not one, but two shots at my buddy. Fortunately the shooter must have been shutting down and missed my friend with both shots.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I was on my way to his house the night my son died when his wife called and said neither of them were feeling well, and that she had their son move her recliner into my son's room and would I mind waiting until the morning to come over. A short time later she called and said that my son went into shock and died. I have beat myself up many times for not going on over there since I knew his time was nearly at hand. By the same token, I've seen so many die, I'm honestly glad I didn't see my son leave this world, but I did see him enter it. I liked the first part of that movie a lot better.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

18. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2009
    Norwood Ohio
    I'm going through stage 4 aggressive Melanoma right now. By the time it was diagnosed it had spread to my neck,lungs, liver, and bones. Fortunately I'm going to the best Melanoma oncologist in the city, who happens to be a major supporter of blues. (He sponsors the acoustic piano stage at the local blues festival). I played his wedding reception 3 years ago. And to top it all off he has a Gibson L-7! Chemo is kicking my a#% big time. But I think it's God's way of redirecting my life back to music and mentoring young musicians. I'm going to beat this!!!

19. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    Andre,
    Sorry for your loss. I've been there, too. I will say that a lot of times I feel my dad is still with me (and he died 35 years ago). And I remember him mostly as he was before he got sick.

Take time to heal. It ain't easy.

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Sorry for your loss. Cancer took my father away as well. Not a forgiving disease. Seems sometime the treatments are worse than the desease though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.