Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I need to strip one layer-BUT-save the one below

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by keenanj, Mar 17, 2012.

1. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Put back together

Time to think about electronics and hardware. Ha

Attached Files:

2. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]

Dude, you did an outstanding job!

… although a nice 60’s P90 would sound and look great in the neck … I might be compelled to put on my shade tree mechanic hat and install a Stat pickup --- seriously, either one would be killer

3. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Thanks bro... I think that's the way to go. I'm going to meditate for a couple days, but I think I want to start with some 66 humbucker in the neck. Someone mentioned Albert Collins and I like that. I want to use the pick guard. I know it's semi- sacrilege to put in a 'bucker, but damn, the routing is done and the pick guard is hacked. Also, if I hate it, I can easily reverse it, just pull the thing out and try to get it back to single coil. I would really hate to not use the pick guard cause there isn't much original to THIS guitar. In other words, even if I get pristine '66 guard, it means not using something from this guitar that I have. The other option would be a P90 like cover over a single coil. It would be odd, but it is a thought.
    PS-If anyone is relicing a guitar, I'll send you pictures of what wear looks like. HA.

4. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Fender Decal Policy

Here is what I got from Fender in case anyone is interested/has the same issue.

Attached Files:

5. dean

dean Friend of Leo's

Thanks for posting that note from Fender - that's what I thought the deal was with decal replacements.

As far as your guitar, I think you've done a marvelous job of removing the paint. When you showed the " before" guitar, I didn't think you would have a chance of saving anything on that neck. The body showed promise, but the neck looked like a disaster waiting to happen at the first touch of sandpaper - those decals can be so fragile. In the end, your treatment of the neck butt stamp was perfect, and I can't believe how nicely the decal turned out. I'd definitely leave it as it is - it just oozes coolness!

And I'm still of the opinion that the neck pickup rout should be eventually filled and rerouted to original specs - but that doesn't need to be done immediately. Maybe after all this work, you should find a standard pickguard and vintage replica parts and get that sucker in playing shape. After all that work to get to the original finish, it would seem a waste to not make it as close to standard as possible. But at this point, whatever you do can be reversed or modded without altering what you already have.

You've done a wonderful job with this Tele - you should be proud of the restoration job, so far. Keep it up!

Dean

6. sketchanderase

sketchanderase TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Champlin, MN
    Amazing job! That headstock is perfect the way it is. Body is a bit overworn, but original makes it worth it. I also like the worn case it's in, I just had bought the same case with a Tele that has it's dings, but is nowhere near as cool as yours.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    I'd think about shooting a touch of clear over that decal to preserve it and play it the way it is. Great job on tackling the impossible. So nice to un-do the paint modifications that somebody else certainly regrets.

8. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2010
    vancouver
    Great work here, keep it original, decal and all!

9. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    I may have to. I don't think I want to, but there may be no choice. It is flaking and if I do nothing, it will lose pieces. I guess I could put it in a glass case, but that ain't happening. We'll see what happens. I really don't want to, but it may be necessary. When it flakes, the whole thing (outline + green) comes off.
    Luckily, I've been doing so much work (the kind they pay me for), I've not touched the tele in a week. It's given me time to read and think. I think I'll take on the case and meditate a little longer on the routing question.

What's nice about taking a few days off is appreciating the forum. This would not be nearly as much fun without this place. It literally reminds me of the feed store I would go to as a kid with my dad and they would talk shop (grain, tractors) for hours.

10. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Great work, I think it looks great as it is. Try to get some equally rough looking hardware!

11. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    The case...

The case came out great.
    I mild parts lube for the metal and hot water and liquid detergent for the case. The case is tolex so I had to use a scrub brush to get into the grooves. No problem. I may use a leather cleaner at some point for the ends. There is a small rip, and two missing rivets on the back hinges, but it opens/closes fine and the two latches work, as does the center clasp. I left it a touch dirty and didn't use armour all or a wax because glistening does not seem correct. But, it is in amazing shape. I used a standard vacuum for the inside. It does not need cleaning beyond that.

Attached Files:

12. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    higher res

this pic should be higher res. Still having a tough time with the uploader, but that is my error in picture resolution.

Attached Files:

13. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Just ordered parts and getting work done with this awesome, awesome luthier...
    His name is Ian Kelly, great shop, great guy.
    http://www.kellycustominstruments.com/
    His work started with drums, but he now customs builds. What made me go with him was the size of his eyes when he saw the telecaster....
    I am going with a seymour duncan humbucker and a texas special single coil. The nut is being finished and that's it. I'll post sound files and pix.

14. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    What a great story! I'm sure we all hope we get a call like that one day!

Great results, too. I think it already looks wonderful now it's back to something like it's former glory.

Good work.

15. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2012
    thorne bay alaska
    You have done a fine job here. I also think the party that you got it from did a fine job in putting the piece into the right hands. Your work will be ( as if it isn`t already) a lasting reward. Thanks for sharing this story and documenting it so well with photos. Take care. Bob

16. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    USA
    This is awesome. Robert Spencer is right, it is a lasting reward.

More pix and write-ups please!

17. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    I agree about keeping the pickguard. Part of the guitar's history! Stick a humbucker in there and play it hard.

18. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    DONE (for now)

With the help of Ian Kelly in Little Falls, NJ...
    IT SOUNDS SICK! Plays awesome.
    The fret board is smooth, straight, and fast. The body is light, comfortable.
    More twang than you can image. WOW!
    Thank you...

Attached Files:

19. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    USA
    Praisealuujah! Another happy ending.

Now let us hear it sizzle!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.