Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I need to strip one layer-BUT-save the one below

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by keenanj, Mar 17, 2012.

1. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Folks... I hope all is well, been here a week and have gotten tons of great info and parts. The quick deal is last week I got a call from a friend who knew I played and she told me she found a guitar in her attic. It is a 1966 Telecaster without hardware. The hardware was put on another guitar back in the 70's. In the 70's this guitar was also painted. So the Tele has a topcoat of Black (mystery paint) with some other colors pinstriped on the back.
    The person that painted it appears to have taped some of the original finish around the pickup (ie, I think he just covered the pickup instead of taking it out when he painted). I see tape shapes. It looks like blond was the original color. I am posting pix next....
    SO: How do I get the black off and preserve the blond? Thank you.

2. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    PIX

Attached Files:

3. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    More Pix

Attached Files:

4. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    In the Mountains
    The best I can do is give the thread a bump.
    Wish you the best of luck.
    I have a pic of my dad in the 70´s playing a blue ES-335.
    I wish I could co back and say nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    The 1969 in PG was a strat with xtra white painted on

Oddly, I am reading my new Premiere Guitar issue and someone had a 1969 with the same 'issue'. It was gold, and someone painted white over it. There was a technique used known as wet-sanding used to get it off. They used words like 'painstaking' and 'excruciating' in describing the work. HA! Labor of love.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

6. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    Wet sanding is exactly what it says, sanding with water soaked sandpaper. First of all, be sure to use a sanding block to stay flat. I googled wet sanding and there were different opinions about what grit to start with. Personally, I would start with 800 grit, which is probably not abrasive enough, but will give you an idea of the where you are with the thickness of paint. DO NOT RUSH !!! Remember, you can always go to a stronger grit, but if you sand too much, you can't go back. Be sure to get sandpaper that is wet/dry labeled, not the cheap stuff. Start by working the area that will be under the pick guard. Edges are particular vulnerable to sanding through, so be even more careful there. If you TAKE YOUR TIME, you may end up with a pretty nice original finish. No matter what, you still have a 1966 Tele. Again, I cannot stress enough how slow and steady is the key. Do not be in a hurry. Post some pics as you progress.

Good luck, Mike

Forgot to mention, Fill any screw holes with wax so the water does not get into the wood under the original finish. It could swell and damage the paint, blister/crack/peel, etc…….

7. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Thank you... Been looking up wet sending too. Looks safer than a chemical treatment. I am going now to an autoshop to get some of paper. Mike, I would never have thought about the wax in the holes! Wow, thank you.

8. Hop2it

Hop2it Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Hingham, MA
    try using different solvents on a rag, starting with latex paint thinner work your way up to acetone if need be. it looks like a crappy, can spray job & if the guitar wasn't sanded before painting it should come off. if it was sanded before painting the original finish won't be in very good shape. i bought a deluxe strat for short money once because the kid who owned it sprayed it gold . i was able to peel most of the paint off with my fingers then used goof-off to remove the rest. beautiful trans red finish underneath.

9. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Wet-Sanding works. THIS IS GOING TO WORK.
    -Using 400-1000 grit paper from an autoparts store
    -I started on the back with a small section. I moved to the front to see if someone may have sanded, it looks like no. In other words, the original finish is intact.
    -It took about 4 hours to do what is in the pix, but I think I can drastically speed up once I figure out how long I go with the 400 for. I'm being very conservative.
    -Thank you for all of your help!
    Here are some pix

10. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Guitar back before sanding

This is the back of the guitar

Attached Files:

11. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    400 Grit LIGHTLY

Using 400 with a sponge as a block, going slowly for about 10 minutes

Attached Files:

12. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    About an hour in...

This is switching to 800 and 1000grit. Always wiping-about 1 a minute and soaking the sand paper. At this point, I see the original finish and get really excited. Can't believe this could work

Attached Files:

13. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    The back and the front

The first pic is the back after 2 hours. I see it's going to work and the blond looks pretty good. Obviously, this will not be in perfect shape, but it is damn awesome!
    The next 2 are the front. I wanted to know if the front was the same. Luckily it is. Total time, 4hrs, so not impossible.

Attached Files:

14. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2010
    North Dakota
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product! Good luck.

15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Keep it up. Personally I'd just break out with 220 and sand dry until seeing the color and then switch to 320. Just stop when you get to the original color.

Many ways to skin a cat. Good luck with bringing it back to original.

16. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Looking good so far..

Keenan: This looks like very hard work and I want to share a story from my childhood. You will see why in a minute.

My Dad owned a automotive repair shop in Tulsa. When my brother and I were growing up we got to work on our own cars after hours when Dad was not conducting business. We each had a key and would go down to the shop at all hours.

One project I was working on involved cutting angle iron, I don't even remember what I was working on but I managed to knock over a new areosol can of Krylon paint.and as my luck would have it, the can fell on the fresh cut corner of the metal angle iron I had just cut in the chop saw. It punctured a hole just large enough so that the can started spinning around and spewing a nice even spray of black Krylon paint on anything that was close.

I grabbed up the can and tried to hold back the paint stream while I ran to a 55 gallon drum we used as a trash can. That contained the majority of the paint except for the long black racing stripe I had painted all down the side of my Dad's Cadillac.

I didn't try to wipe it off right away but I did try to use different types of compounds and buffing polishes to get rid of the evidence of my stupidity and bad luck.

Now the point of my story is this. After over an hour of buffing and polishing to no real good result, I decided to try various solvents and paint thinners to see if I could accelerate the process. Low and behold, something I tried, and I really can't remember now what it was, worked like magic and did not harm the GM paint underneath the "racing stripe". I believe the car to be enamel paint from the factory and lacquer paint in the can. I must have had some lacquer thinner or something. I got all of the paint spray cleaned up in just a few minutes. I got to keep my key to the shop after all (that time anyway).

So the point of my story is why don't you try some other paint solvent products on a part of the body and neck that won't matter and see if you can remove the black paint without hurting the underlying original paint.

One thing to try if you have not done so already is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You may be sceptical , but I used that sponge with just water on one of the dry erase bulletin boards at work that had be written on by a permanent marker and it cleaned it off when no other solution would. We had tried alcohol and goo Gone among other things. The Magic Eraser appears to be some kind of super fine abrasive and impressed me with the results.

I'm looking forward to more pictures of your progress and a beautiful result. Have you given this guitar a "name" yet? Something worthy of the effort put into the resurrection?

Lost_N_Austin

17. keenanj

keenanj TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2012
    new jersey
    Here was my plan. Stop after 4 hours, post pix and get advice! My ears are open.
    a) LostnAustin... I thought that story was going to end with either something blown up or you in jail or both. HA. Much better ending. I may try something now that I know that the original is in good shape and I know what it 'feels' like. Under the cloth, you can feel when the black is gone. I have a light thinner and a neutralizer. OK, I'm paranoid here-ha. I'll pick up the eraser, if nothing else it will help clean up after my 5 year old. I will try on the back by the neck plate.
    b) 220 grit. I can either do that or up the pressure on the 400. I am literally using a wet sponge and no pressure. The theme is caution for now but as I get a feel I think I can amp it up. The wet sand paper is awesome, I never used it.
    NAme. As of now Georgia, cause the guy who owned it and died was George.

18. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Yeah, what a great project you have .Be super careful. Keep us up to date .That's going to be a beauty when done

19. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I certainly can't knock you on your progress. Please post some more pics as the original finish continues to emerge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.