Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I need expect advice - is this Telecaster fake?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by samjbrowne, Jan 21, 2007.

1. samjbrowne

samjbrowne NEW MEMBER!

Jan 21, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-inst...ar-bass/Electric-guitars/auction-85316806.htm

I've come here after a recommendation from thegearpage.net - you guys are the true experts on teles.

Can anyone tell me if the tele in the above link is real or a fake? There are several things about it which make me question the authenticity, including the writing on the headstock, the bridge and the finish.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?!

Thanks

Sam, New Zealand

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Looks like a perfectly fine Made in Japan (MIJ) tele with their Foto-Flame finish, which is actually a photograph under the poly finish that simulates a flamed maple top. These were made in the 90s. No pic of the back, but there should be a small "Made in Japan" at the bottom of the neck on back, with a serial number. The bridge has been changed to a black plate style, and the input jack changed too, but these are minor things, that can be changed back if desired. If the price is good, this can be a great tele for you; nothing indicates a fake to me, looks like a real MIJ Fender to me.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Gryffinaura

Gryffinaura TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Looks pretty authentic to me, agree with what was said above.

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I do think it's an authentic Fender MIJ 50's RI. I don't think it's Foto-Flame. I have one similar that actually has a thin (~ 1/8 in) cap front and back.

............... 52 SB Body Front.jpg
    ............... 52SBConttrolCavity.jpg

6. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    I have to disagree about the foto-flame, Jack. I think it's definitely foto-flame. Compare:

[​IMG]

And this one:

[​IMG]

The longer, dark, offset "figure" lines are the obvious giveaway. You can see the exact same figure in each guitar top.

The neck doesn't not appear to be a foto-flame neck, though.

7. Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    No offence to anyone but .... why would anyone bother to "fake" a guitar worth only a few hundred bucks?:confused:

8. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  9. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Oh no !! .......................... looks like I have a Foto-Flame. [​IMG]

Well ............ at least mine doesn't have any of the cracking associated with Foto-Flames and I don't have the Foto-Flame neck.

A '52 RI with a faux maple top ................ What will the Japanese think of next. Looks like a candidate for a re-paint.

10. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yep... Sure looks like it...

11. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    Jack, I must have mis-read your post, I thought you knew yours was a foto-flame and were questioning the one in samjbrowne's post!

Of course, I could be wrong, but the figure does look familiar.

12. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    I doubt this is a mattery of fakery. It's more a matter of trying to figure out whether it's an intact factory guitar for the most part, or more of a partscaster. I think it's probably more of the former, with the exception of the bridge and jack. It's a little hard to say whether that neck was stock or not.

13. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    No doubt about it ................. the New Zealand guitar and mine are both MIJ Foto-Flame guitars. The picture below shows the same pattern.

......[​IMG]

14. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    Well, aren't they going up in value? You could have a retirement gold mine on your hands. :lol:

15. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if there was a warranty...

on those Flames to the original owner...

If mine cracked I would be after Fender..

There were American FFs too?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.