Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I need a new body

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hastings, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    I have a Mexicaster 2000, poplar, maple fretboard. The guts are all upgraded, and the neck is very good for me, but I have never thought that the body resonated as well as some alder Teles do. It's OK, and the sound has been described as 'punchy,' but it weighs about as much as my Labrador Retriever. If I buy an alder body, is there way of guaranteeing that the neck and new body will fit together as well as the old combination did? Is a Tele a Tele is a Tele, if you know what I mean? If the fit is not as good as the old one, there's no point to doing it.
    Thanks for any wisdom.

2. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    As long as you buy from a very reputable source, everything should fit just fine. Even your less reputable sources generally get a basic tele pretty much perfect. A company like Warmoth is a sure bet for a perfect fit. If you're looking to spend less than that, we can recommend other sellers that are nearly as safe to bet on.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Presumed this thread was connected to today's fake news on a head transplant

No good sense from me on guitars: best of luck

4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Mine is pretty ruined too, but for aesthetics I probably need to stick with USA made.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Before you do major surgery to your guitar try loosening all four neck screws a half turn then retightening them. This will seat the neck firmly in the neck pocket, and may improve the guitar's resonance. I won't do anything about the weight, of course, but it's a cheap thing to try.

As far as fit goes, stick with MIM or MIA parts, and you'll be okay. The Modern Player parts aren't interchangeable with MIM or MIA parts, and some of the MIJ parts don't interchange with either.

Are you sure it's a poplar body? Most poplar bodies weigh about as much as a potato chip.

6. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Mexicasters were poplar in 2000, and are not popular now, IMO.

Warmoth has unfinished alder bodies for $175. That's acceptable. BTW, their poplar is $30 cheaper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.