Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I need a delay pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gmountain, Nov 12, 2017.

1. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    One? In addition to a couple of the ones listed so far, I have the Red Witch Titan (three analog delays in one, in series or parallel), the Red Witch Violetta and the EHX Canyon, which has many choices in one including reverse for serious fun.

Having read through some of the suggestions, I find myself needing a delay too. Specifically the Keeley Caverns.

Check out more suggestions here: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/which-delay-do-i-need.767670/

2. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2012
    marysville
    Just picked up a Flashback Mini today. With the toneprint app, you have more delay setting than you will ever need. Very fun pedal

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Always start with a DD-3, and move on from there only if you have a really good reason.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    jimbach and AngelStrummer like this.

4. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I was getting complements at my gig last night for the combination of my blues driver and the TC flashback delay and so I was motivated to learn a little more about it. So today I was exploring the various TonePrint presets that you can get online with this pedal and it’s pretty amazing. It also has a usable looper. With this versatility I think it’s a great pedal for the price.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Are you looking for anything in particular? What style of music?

Thing is, you may as well ask what's your favorite food. Thousand posts, thousand different answers, with little to no context.

I have four on the board. A brand new Empress Echosystem (big digital beast), Maxon AD-900 (4 chip), Boss DM-2w, and a Wampler Faux Tape Echo.

The Wampler is up for sale. The Maxon and Boss are both very nice sounding analog pedals. And the Empress ... I'm still experimenting. I have a feeling I'll just sell it in a few months, but I wanted to mess around. To see if I can get the same sounds I get with each of the others (I could set them as presets), which is varying degrees of slap, from bathroom tile smack! to laggy two-repeat Travis-picked stuff. Additionally, I want to experiment with some longer delay sounds.

Frodebro likes this.

6. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Nothin too fancy but I love these and they never go off my live pedalboard

1. Boss DD-7
    2. Boss RV-3
    3. Zoom CDR MS70
    4. Zoom G3 MultiFX
    5. Subdecay Echobox Modulated Delay

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Limited experience, quirky tastes, so not sure how much help I'll be.

Didn't like the Boss DD-3. Way too digital sounding.

Found the Analogman RDX20...okay. Useful, certainly, but still...kinda digital sounding. It also died on me after fairly light use; gotta send it out to get fixed and then sell it.

Recently got a very used DanEcho (the metal-cased one). LOVE IT. It can do modern delay sounds well enough, and its controls are dumb-simple. But it does the slapback/echo/tape side of the delay range very well. Very warm and analogue sounding.

The Sun Studios sound down a rainy alley is my kind of delay, and this little tank nails it.

studio likes this.

8. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i bought a cheapie nux time force on craigslist more for the cheapie looper feature in it, but dang, its a pretty sweet pedal.

9. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Flashback on my big board.
    Flashback Mini on my small board.

At home, I love my little Dano PB&J. It looks like a toy, but I think it's one of the best-sounding delay pedals I've ever heard.

Others that I have - and I like them all:
    Danelectro Reel Echo
    Danelectro FAB Delay (for whatever reason, I really like what Dano does with their delays)
    Digitech Time Bender
    Ibanez "Soundtank" Echo Machine (EM-5)
    Ibanez "Soundtank" Delay (DL-5)

As others have said, a little context would help in the recommendations.
    What music are you playing? How do you plan to use the delay pedal? Have you owned/tried any?

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Belle Epoch. I'm not much of a delay person above slapback, so I'm hoping and waiting to be inspired by all it has to offer that is well over my head at this point for songwriting. Yeah, I know, no help from me.:rolleyes: It does have a nice preamp though.:cool:

11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Moog MF Delay - the thing just oozes with tone - if you can find one used for a good price, it is an excellent analog delay.

Takes a bit to dial it in, but once there....oh man....ooooooooozzzzzzzz

12. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I run a Replica for digital, and use its brown mode for darker, more analog-sounding repeats. Then the Alter Ego v2 for a Swiss army knife of modulated delays. I've yet to add a tone print to mine, but plan to add a clean 2290 in its empty slot.

13. grilldanmo

grilldanmo TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    I'm also in the market, with my eyes on the EHX Canyon, the Flashback 2, Carbon Copy Deluxe, and DOD Rubberneck.

The first two offer the most options from a sonic perspective, having multiple voices. The second two are analog, but with some great expression options.

I'm leaning towards the Flashback w/ the Mash and three tone print slots. Then maybe picking up one the analogs in the future...if it seems useful or necessary.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Interesting... I bought a MF Delay and it seems to be a one trick pony with a slap / hard repeat, the drive function sounds better to me than the delay. I was going to sell it but maybe I just don't know how to set it for a good sound.

I have played an Ibanez AD9 for years at gigs and I also like the Carbon Copy.
    Also I have a J Rockett Alien Echo but I need to rearrange my board or make another board to use it at gigs.

15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I have a TC El Flashback. I used to have the TC El Flashbackx4, but it was just too much pedal, much more capability than I needed.

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

The DOD Rubber neck is awesome but I truly love my Nova Delay.

I REALLY want a DD-500 though.

17. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I have an Ibanez de7, a T Rex Reptile and an Artec adl 2.

18. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Mooer Ana Echo is really pretty good, and not just for the price.

19. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 22, 2011
    Northwest Iowa, USA
    Digitech Digidelay for simple stuff with clean repeats. Seymour Duncan DejaVu Tap Delay for more complex or analog-sounding stuff.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    An ancient Boss DD-2 that gives me my spacey echoes, and a Catalinbread Belle Epoch, which is there as much for its cool preamp as the psycho slapback. I'm still learning all it can do...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.