I need a beach guitar. Fender Malibu Player small body acoustic?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bluego1, May 8, 2019.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I need a “beach” acoustic. My only acoustic is a giant 33 year-old Mountain (Japanese Martin knockoff from back in the day). Hella big sound. But hella big guitar. I love the look of this Fender. Has anyone played it?
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I played a version from about 2010, but the same basic size. It was boxy and thin, but I've been more impressed with the larger versions of this particular run I've played in stores (the Sonoran).

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I believe this new California series is just the Malibu, Redondo and Newporter.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

The Redondo then.

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

That does look cool.....but have you thought about one of those Rainsong guitars? Composite materials, supposedly impervious to moisture. (?)

oceanblue, Chuckster and Bluego1 like this.
  6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Never heard of them. I’m not really looking to use it on the beach, necessarily. Just want a smallish acoustic that is comfortable for taking anywhere like that. Campfires, just sitting on the deck, etc. My big dreadnought is just too bulky.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

I recently played a friend's Rainsong and was very impressed. A little weird-feeling at first, but it grew on me. Not cheap, his model listed for $2200 USD, I believe.

Bonus points on his for the MOP shark silhouette fret markers.

Bluego1 and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

My suggestion would be a Little Martin or a Taylor Mini, depending on your nut-width preference.

Tonetele, Bluego1, studio1087 and 2 others like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

UH!!!!...didn't realize they cost that much. You could buy 10+ used Yamahas for that! ;)

Bluego1 and Chuckster like this.
  10. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Get a Taylor Big Baby. Decent guitar sound. Not a flimsy pretend guitar.

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Martin LXM that I’ve taken on my scuba trips. They’re indestructible and they’re easy to travel with. They’re warm sounding. I like the black. I call it my mini Johnny Cash Guitar. They come with a nice backpack. Affordable.

[​IMG]
    I also have one of the Martin LXM Felix the Cat models for picnics and bonfires. Fun travel guitars. Nice for noodling on the couch late at night. Comfy.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

One thing I have learned by living on the Oregon coast (north of the 45th parallel) where the beaches are anything but tropical, is that acoustic guitars & beach bonfires in a cool climate make bad bedfellows.
    The reason being is that it is quite warm near the fire, and jacket weather everywhere else after dark. I have heard more stories than I care for about horrible noises of self destruction coming from inside gig bags & cases as folks were walking away from the bonfire and the guitar cools awkwardly and quickly. Acoustics do not handle the extreme sudden temperature change well at all. To combat expensive repairs on expensive guitars, I only buy cheap guitars to take on our beach. My current beach box is a factory buyout clearance model I ordered from Guitarfetish. It says "Pinlin" on the headstock, and is actually pretty okay for the $40 + shipping I paid on sale. I replaced the tuners, and yes it is cheap, but it plays & I won't have to endure the emotions that go along with a damaged guitar of value. Maybe folks in FL, SoCal, and Gulf coast states have better luck on their warmer beaches.

jvin248 and Bluego1 like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

For the beach I would look for a used Ibanez or Alvarez, maybe a parlor sized.
    I own a Taylor koa gs mini but they aren't cheap enough to sacrifice to the beach imo.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Taylor GS Mini or Martin Dreadnought Jr. Both small enough to grab and play comfortably on the couch, but big enough to not sound so boxy and toy-like.

The GS Mini comes with one of the best padded gig bags in the business if you want to throw it in the back of your vehicle to take on a road trip.

Chuckster, Chunkocaster and Bluego1 like this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I have one of the cheaper-end Redondos. It's pretty well made and the sound is loud and bright if that's what you like. Looks cool too. I got mine for about £220 in a sale, including a discount voucher on top.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Since this forum is mainly dedicated to Telecasters, what about a Fender Telecoustic (second hand of course since they've been discontinued...). Or may be a Stratacoustic... The neck is typical tele (or Strat) and the body is "fiberglass ?", so it can withstand a day or more at the beach. For sure the body is small and the sound out of it would have to compete with the waves...

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

gretsch jim dandy is a good knock around guitar.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1.

Go on your local CL and buy any acoustic that is under $40/$50 and then get a fret level and setup done on it. You'll have the playability of a $1,000 guitar and you won't need to worry about it -- if it breaks you can just reach into the CL river and fish out a second one.

19. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Check out Peavey's parlour guitar. Really nice looking, comes with a gigbag, $300.

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.