Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I must have done something wrong to deserve this

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ

That's nothing! Friday our microwave died (LG); blew the kitchen breaker, I went a reset it, but the microwave wouldn't come on. Ok, so wife wants a larger one (Panasonic), which we order from Amazon. They say it will be here Sunday. Ok, we'll live without a microwave til Sunday.

New microwave arrives on Sunday. I get it out of the box and set it on the counter, we open the door and guess what?! The interior paint is peeling and flaking off! So we call Amazon and start the return process and order another one that will arrive after Christmas. Hey! We can live we'll just have to use the range.

Two hours later the bake element in the rage (GE) shorts out and dies. So Monday morning(Christmas Eve), there's a mad dash to see if we can find an appliance parts place that has the element. Luckily we find one that's only a couple of miles from the house. Get the element and I have to install it. It's only 15 mins work, but I've got my head stuck in a greasy oven that wife hasn't cleaned in a while. Nasty job all around, but at least we can cook!

Wednesday, I'm replacing a sprinkler head in the yard that crapped out due to age. Turn the sprinklers on for a test and nothing comes out. But there's a huge jet of water shooting out from under the hedge and a big hole is blown out of the lawn. Looks like a break in the irrigation main, better call the sprinkler guy. He can't come out until the first week of January. Ok.....

Thursday the new microwave shows up. Hey! What's this hole in the side of the box? Pull the new microwave out and the entire right side is smashed in. Best we can figure is someone must've hit it with the forks on a fork truck at the warehouse. Back to square one...*SIGH*

So, OP; you'll have to pardon me when I tell you to take your piddly little broken refrigerator and, well, you know.....;)

telleutelleme likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I have a Hitachi air conditioner that is 38 years old and still works fine. It's outlived 4 new air conditioners I've purchased since getting it. My washing machine, dryer and dishwasher are all 23 years old and still working fine although the dishwashers plastic latch broke so I've been jamming a paint stirrer in it for a few months to keep a tight seal on the door. Newer appliances are poorer quality these days.

The Gov bang on about saving the environment but it doesn't take a genius to see they are the ultimate hypocrites. Globalisation alone has contributed massively to pollution and waste materials etc. Governments and their large corporation overlords won't be happy until the entire planet is littered with their garbage and resembles a third world country only equipped with the latest shiny disposable tech gadgets. The constant push for increased populations also proves how full of it they all are when it comes to saving the environment.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    TD I love the way you sneak these little amazing tidbits in: are you tryna tell us you had the authority to choose a dryer? o_O

Toto'sDad and moosie like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    We built our house shortly after we got married. At around the fifteen year mark, everything died at once. Even our well pump got blown up TWICE that year due to lightning strikes. Really? My wife and I were dazed by the whole thing. "Honey..." "Crap, what died now?"

The only thing that has made it through without a whimper is our Panasonic microwave. We've had it 34 years. I seem to recall it costing over $400, but that doesn't seem right. Anyway, I distinctly remember that I was a carpenter, and I moonlighted a Saturday and Sunday, framing a guy's garage floor. Paid me cash, and we bought the microwave. We use it constantly, always have. My wife says we should get a newer one - she thinks they're more powerful, etc. No way am I tossing something this reliable ... heck, it's like family :lol:

I just did the math: Everything went after fifteen years. We've been in the house thirty-one. Oh no...

5. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    We had to replace our fridge and freezer in the summer, they were barely six years old.

6. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    Appliances aren’t what they were 30 years ago, but they’re also a lot cheaper. You can still buy appliances that’ll last 25 years; just not at your local discount store, and not for $125. Moosie mentions paying $400 for a microwave 34 year ago, and that may be right. Back then a microwave was a major purchase.

I grew up with a GE electric oven and range- I’ll bet a lot of you guys did, too. When I bought my house 31 years ago it came with one of those GEs that must have been older than me, and it still worked. Repair parts were available, too. Probably cost as much as a cheap car new. Since then I’ve owned two gas ovens, and I wonder if that GE isn’t still being used somewhere ;-)

7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Here I thought my wife was the only one who did that... I thought she got it from her mom, who pre-cleaned the house when a maid was coming over to, yep, clean the house. They looked at me like I was daft when I asked why they were cleaning up, when that was the maid’s job... apparently you can’t appear *too* messy... :confused:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    telleutelleme likes this.
  8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Somewhere 30 years ago, someone was saying, "you know, stuff these days is just junk. They make these dryers to last 30 years these days, and that's all you get. Just throw them out after that like were all have a money tree in the front yard. "

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston

They say things come in threes, so thanks for taking care of the other two.

bluesky1963 likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I humbly beg the apology of you, my wife, the saleslady, and the guy who carted off the refrigerator on his bicycle if I inferred that I actually picked out a dryer. My sole part in this scenario was that of the payer. That was even foiled when I asked if the lady would like a credit or debit card, my wife says, "I'll write a check for it." Neither myself or the saleslady said a word.

I did though sneak in going to the small store. We just happened to be passing by the little store that I like to shop at for appliances. I swerved in before my wife could even object. Like a true gentleman I opened the car door, and she was half way through the door before she realized we might be doing something ( I ) suggested! ;)

Jupiter likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I bought my wife a Maytag dryer that lasted more than 20 years when they were still built in the U.S. Not without an incident though. I bought it at a small store I actually used to work at in another town, and had it drop shipped to our house. When it got there, my wife was all exited, THEN, the guy unloading it from the truck pushed it out on the lift gate of a two ton freight truck, and kept going. The dryer went splat on the street. The lift gate was still level with the floor, it was quite a sight. My wife was devastated, but all ended well, the replacement was fine. It was also the fanciest model they had at the time, and performed perfectly until its demise more than twenty years later.

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    My old Whirlpool above-stove microwave died last year (after 8 years), and I went to Abt Electronics and bought a Frigidaire microwave that matched my kitchen cosmetically. I didn't want to deal with removal and installation, so I paid an extra $220 for a four year extended warranty that included in-home installation. That seemed like a lot at the time, but now I'm glad I did. The less than two year-old Frigidaire burned out Thursday, and Abt was just here earlier this morning with a brand new one. So, I can't say too much for Frigidaire, but I will say that Abt are good people and they honor their warranties.

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    12 years ago, I bought my first washer as a new homeowner. The sales rep. At the time said they only had two mechanical washers left, and they would soon be gone because of the amount of water they use. That was the end of long lasting repairable washers. We're on washer number 2 now, but I've been replacing the bearings in the dryer.

I recall Clark Howard saying that manufacturers have always spent the bulk of development costs on the low cost simple models, and you're playing with fire if you buy the complicated machines due to ego making you think you're entitled.

Mil has bought for washers in the time we've had two, and all have been more expensive than either of ours.

The dryer has had its bearings replaced twice by me at a cost of $26 each time. It was $380, and I figure it's dried about 3000 loads. My wife is crazy when it comes to laundry, so is her mother. Figure 3 loads per person per week.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

had the hot water heater go a couple weeks ago... it just started leaking and instead of just 'waiting it out' I called a guy and had him come and do it. It is the first one I haven't done myself... we have some wacky return system in this house that look like more than I wanted to hassle with (and be without hot water) we had a ton of family coming for the holidays, so, I just bit the bullet... gotta say, the dude that installed it is an artiste when it comes to beautiful copper work... I'm happy... and poorer, but, it looks to be quality work. If we get 10 years out of it with our water quality, I'll be pretty happy.

ALL of my appliances have been replaced this year... I love the new ones and only one dead one out of the box... so, all good! the fix was no big deal and it works perfectly now...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    cape cod
    ex and i bought a kenmoore fridge in '92,still running.we'll never see that kind of performance again.at least cars and trucks last longer and run better than ever.just too pricey.

16. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    Don't trade that tube amp in for a Kemper just yet!!!!:)

Toto'sDad and RLee77 like this.
  17. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Sorry to the OP and I hope it fixes easy and stays well. But I did something that I never thought would come out to my advantage at first. Skepticism galore. I bought the extended warranty the first time for my Kenmore adding 265.00 to the price....then extended it again for 285.00 for another 5 years giving me a total of almost 13 years. The fridge quit, never to be revived again because parts were not even made anymore. I received a brand new 1250.00 fridge with absolutely not one more cent out of pocket. That was 6 years ago. That is the only time I have ever seen that work.

18. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    It's probably just a Bug in the Software somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe not.

Lost_N_Austin

Toto'sDad and voodoostation like this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    The store personnel swore they had run that returned fridge for a couple of days with no issues, noise or otherwise. It's possible that it wasn't leveled properly in the home of the original purchaser.

In regards to "over the stove" microwave ovens... when doing a kitchen remodel years ago, three different bidding contractors advised us against that location. The heat from the range and oven can cause premature failure of the microwave oven.

20. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    According to my appliance service guy, the shorter lifespans and less sturdy components have nothing to do with the big box stores, and everything to do with government energy efficiency standards.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.