I must have done something wrong to deserve this

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Dec 28, 2018.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

I heard the exact same thing from the repair guy who fixed our fridge.

voodoostation likes this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ain't that the truth! There was a time I swore by them. I had kitchens with 25 year old GE appliances that worked just fine. I wouldn't recommend any consumer products made by GE now. When I called about a 4 year old $600 microwave that stopped working I was told by a rather patronizing GE employee that "microwaves" are not meant to be repaired, only replaced. Same story with 2 different hot water heaters.

3. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Best thing I can tell you, is Never buy appliances at big box stores!!
    My buddy bought a Water Heater from Home Depot, lasted a year and a half, and the tank sprung a leak! Took him to the plumbing supply store, to buy a Real Water Heater and an expansion tank, 5 yr's later still no problems.
    I loved people to buy that junk, it kept food on my table for many years!!

loco gringo likes this.
  4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

My Samsung craps the bed on the regular. It’s always a motor start cap or the control board. Had to do a defrost sensor once.

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear, that sux.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It has been a humorous day talking to local "authorized repair shops". First it is like reaching a call desk overseas. Very hard to understand and to communicate with. Service calls were between $80.00 and $145.00 plus labor for work performed. I asked for a general labor range for repair of the compressor (parts under warranty). I got a range of $32.00 to $3000. The refrigerator was $2100 new and they all had the model number. I don't think either the low or high number person understood what I was asking. I read a lot online and it seems about $250 - $500 depending on what failed.

I watched a couple Youtube videos and with some new tools (Copper soldering torch, pressure gauges) I could probably fix it. Got the serious "look" from my wife so that's not going to happen.

I went through and checked, metered and cleaned what I could. Have reset it and plugged it back in to see what happens overnight. I haven't heard the blower come on so I think it is fried. May pop for the cheapest service call and see what the guy says and go from there. Any brand recommendations :))).

7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This comment reminded me of my childhood fridge back in the 60s & 70s. Whenever the compressor kicked in, it would make an awful ruckus, that would scare the willies out of anyone who was not used to it. Us family members were fine as we were accustomed to it, but if we had anyone visiting or sleeping over, they'd swear a freight train was passing through the kitchen. :)

8. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

With Leo, it was "Remove, Replace & Play" while old neck is being refretted (wink,wink).

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

No discussion about modern appliances and electronics would be complete without asking the all important, relevant to the times question; Can a person die from listening to too (?) much rap music on a poorly constructed boom box, or will it simply cause an annoying quite possible socially transmittable disease of the ear? :eek:

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My guess: A microprocessor somewhere or, a Start Capacitor for the Motor.
    Best of Luck.

telleutelleme likes this.
  11. HoodieMcFoodie

It won't actually kill you, but it will cause your brain cells to atrophy and your trouser belt to fail.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

...and these days we are expected to pay $700 for an ice chest!!!... bwah hahahaha!!! Comercial units cost what the WiFi Skynet friges do but will still last.... no bells and whistles, just quality..Look at Webstuarant and others.... pricey but, ya know... no skynet...

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

voodoostation likes this.
  13. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

We had a GE commercial washer at the house, it finally died after 30+ years this past summer. I'm worried about it's mate, a GE commercial dryer that is the same age. The old stuff was built to last.

telleutelleme and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

I've had no issues with whirlpool:

Base model washing machine, and dryer - 11 years so far, flawless. Just replaced kitchen appliances with whirlpool after researching ratings and reviews.
    Samsung has hilariously bad ratings, I like their phones tho.

Have an 18 yo base model Kenmore refrigerator in the basement, never had a single issue.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

On my birthday a couple of years back - garage door motor burnt-out, toilet blocked-up, dishwasher stopped working. Was a fun day...fridge is next.

Just had a breaker blow also dimmer switch on a different circuit, usually happens in groups of 3 IMO and always at holiday time so repair guys are not available at normal rates.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

We bought a $2400 Samsung fridge about a year ago. Not one with a computer screen or anything, just french doors a bottom freezer and a beer drawer in the middle. They've been out twice now to replace the ice maker.

telleutelleme likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Refrigerators. Some see adversity, some see opportunity!

[​IMG]

18. HoodieMcFoodie

Never pay for expensive removalists again...

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Good luck.
    I say go to a local store, as they will have brand products. Loew's and Home Depot all sell special run appliances, fixable only by place of purchase.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We live off the grid and have perhaps the world's most efficient ref/freezer available. Not cheap, but all parts are easily user serviceable or replaceable on the top. Should last a lifetime and at 1/3 of the power usage of the "energy savers" of typical mass produced ref/freezers. 15 years and still running like new. It is 12VDC, but AC is an option.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.