Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

I miss CBGBS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fred Rogers, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    I remember those places, though the Omni came about later after I had stopped playing in the area. I mostly remember it because it was formerly the Ligure Club, and my friends Lena and John had their wedding reception there. She was of Italian descent (hence the Ligure Club as venue) and he was Greek. You can imagine how much fun that wedding was!
    bender66 and Steve Ouimette like this.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    If only Death drove down from Boston as well, they d have gotten the recognition they deserved.

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Mabuhay Gardens in San Francisco. RIP Dirk Dirksen.

Also the Deaf Club. and 924 Gilman in Berkeley.
    bender66, Steve Ouimette and Alamo like this.

4. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    CBGB's moved to Vegas, like a punk applebys

I wonder if they took those bathrooms? or the walls in the dressing room, where literally everyone carved or wrote their name into it. I bet it doesn't smell funny anymore
    Fred Rogers likes this.

5. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

I visited CBGB in the fall of '93. Of course I'd heard of the legendary punk crap hole dive, and the famous graffiti but they was so sanitized and there was a gift shop.

Bought one of those famous ubiquitous tee shirts, just to say I'd been there and bought it there.

Just goes to show you should never meet your heroes.
    Minimalist518, Fred Rogers and brbadg like this.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Fred Rogers likes this.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I went to the Limelight just after it opened w my girl and another couple. The ladys were given tickets while walking alone. They played ACDC, so I rolled up my pants above my knees. Not a single person got it...Go back to the Disco you posseurs.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

8. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands

Ahhhh... The Robin, also fond memories for WM gigs but ... What a venue too :cry:
    What was the obsession with cans of Tetley's?

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Holic

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Cheap, and safer than anything on draught? ;)
    41144 likes this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    We played Corn Palace...

Nope...don't even try to top that.:D

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    cbs already felt like a museum by the first time i went there. i've had way more fun at a lot of other nyc venues. abc no rio for one.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    1989 Looking for a record deal:) Me on the right with the bass.We discovered McSorley's Ale house
    and made that part of our trip.We took a busload of fans with us each time.Good time ( although the business part wasn't)

Attached Files:

13. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Great photo. From Jessica’s bass and those high tops I’m going to guess 1984? I might have seen you!
    Great places, great memories.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I went to the Limelight a few times, but never saw any live acts.

I don't think I was hip enough for that place. And being a Jew, in a church, freaked me out a bit.

Remember a club that had a slide/sliding pond from the 3rd floor to the second? Can't think of the name.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

15. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    No, this was in the 90s. Not sure of the year. Jessica plays an 80s Vantage bass.

16. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    The classic club most equivalent to CB’s in Albany, NY was the QE2, a punk club housed in an old White Tower hamburger place (a lesser White Castle rip off, I assume.)
    It was such a gross and fetid dump redolent of stale beer, and the lingering smell of blood and sweat like an abandoned boxing gym with a sticky floor and bathrooms that barely rated above outhouse-level of cleanliness, but certainly not due to any effort! There were crazy gothic horror sculptures hanging from the ceiling, a bat-winged demon, skeletons, a wolf man, a Pre Raphaelite vampire girl.
    The beer du jour every jour was Rolling Rock drafts in a plastic cup for 50 cents (before midnight. You got your drink on early.)
    I saw so many great shows there including Gang of Four which is on my top five list of the most life-changing shows I ever saw.
    I only played there once, and it was an open mic at that, before it closed. I did play it’s spiritual successor, Valentine’s Beer Joint and Music Hall, more times than I can count. It was a grubby dive too, but it felt like my living room. Sadly, V’tines is gone as well torn down to make way for a hospital expansion.
    My wife and I frequented both places, but we didn’t meet until my sister started bringing her to shows at Valentines.
    This is a scale model of the Q created by the artist who did the sculptures there. It was my first Christmas present to my wife when we started seriously dating. Image1515850402.216195.jpg
    Fred Rogers and Teleterr like this.

17. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I remember White Tower!
    Minimalist518 likes this.

18. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 5, 2017
    I was barred from CBGB's. Talk about partying!! I wasn't crashing, I came with the band.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

19. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    On Long Island, there was a club called My Father's Place. Saw the Good Rats there a couple of times.

In Syracuse was the Jabberwocky, on the SU campus. We had a thread about that place somewhere on here a while back.
    Fred Rogers likes this.

20. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I've been to My Father's Place. Good times!
    MisterZ likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.