I,m a big dummy.......

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Wizard1962, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

I,m building a partscaster, thought I had checked and rechecked all measurements. Made sure bridge and neck lined up to center. Checked pickup routing. Neck pocket was tight etc.
    So I sanded the mahogany body to 600 grit. Rubbed in 5 coats of tung oil. Man this tele was looking good. :D
    I installed the bridge, wired up everything, set the neck in the pocket, noticed the neck screws seemed alittle short....checked and standard #8 at 1 3/4 long.......
    That's when it freaking hit me. I never measured the depth of the neck pocket....stupid stupid stupid....
    It's only 1/2" deep.......
    Now trying to figure out what to do. I dont have a router, or know anyone that does.
    I have the saddles adjusted all the way up, but it barely plays with no buzzing.

Big dummy needs help guys
    Thanks

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Here,s for starters'
    It,s an apostrophe' and not a comma

Ash Telecaster and RodeoTex like this.
  3. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Thanks blowtorch that helped alot !

Fixed my neck pocket issue. :D

4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Pedantic comment is pedantic.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

NJ Deadhead and getbent like this.
  6. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Thanks guitarbuilder !

7. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

In a pinch, I have used a top bearing pattern bit in my drill press with the template in place. Adjust the depth very carefully and lock it in. I just hand hold the body and carefully move it to deepen the pocket. Hand file and/or sand with a rigid backed piece of wood, like a popsicle stick. You might want to put a very thin non scratch barrier on the DP table, otherwise you'll end up with premature buckle rash on the back.

Good Luck

Wizard1962 likes this.
  8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

As a temporary fix you could use a shim, not ideal, but at least you could use the guitar until you can find a way to have the neck pocket routed deeper.

While some of the above solutions would work, I'm not so sure I'd want to tackle them in that manner. Is there a forum member in your area that could do this for you? If not, I would suggest finding a luthier in your area that is trusted and have it done properly.

Not sure where you purchased the body, but could it be returned? It's not routed to specs and the seller should take it back or swap it for a correctly routed body.

Just my 2 cents..

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Do it right. Finds someone with a router. In my city Home Depot and Lowes will rent one to you, but then you need to buy a bit (and know how to use it). If you brought it to my house we'd fix it in about five minutes and then open a nice cold adult beverage.

Macrogats, heffus, Shuster and 2 others like this.
  10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If you don't have access to a router or a drill press, use something to rig up a depth gauge and go after it with a sharp chisel. It is really a lot easier done than said...you only need another 1/8". Yes, you need to be careful, etc. Not rocket science though. Measure a lot, use the existing perimeter of the pocket to guide your chisel for the vertical depth cuts. You'll need a curved gouge to do the corner radiuses (radii?).

Hint: hold the face of the chisel tightly against the side of the pocket with the sharp edge resting on the bottom. Mark the depth on the chisel with a Sharpie marker or something. Make another mark on the chisel that is 1/8" from that mark (a rough depth gauge). Keep an eye on that as you sink the chisel in around the perimeter to depth. Helps to keep you from getting too deep.

If you have a hand drill and some drill bits. Rig up some kind of a drill stop...which can be anything from a specially designed production stop to a bit of tape wrapped around the bit. Set the stop at 1/8" deep and start drilling holes...lots of them, the more you drill, the less you have to chop out with the chisel. Chisel away the waste, use the bottom of the drilled holes as a guide for depth. Smooth it all out with a file or sandpaper-on-a-stick.

Be patient, work slowly, measure a lot, sneak up on final depth (don't chop it full depth in one shot). Practice on a bit of 2X4 or other scrap.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

its never a mistake unless you took out too much matterial ! this is very fixable , here is a solution for you
    take the body with you to a local high school talk to the wood shop teacher and see if he may want to make a visual presentation for his class to see and allow you to use the shop tools to fix this , it could be a good learning expirience for the kids ( and yourself as well)

eallen likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

John, are you speaking of shimming up the bridge?

Easiest partial, non-tool fix would be to use a sanding block and sand the bottom of the mating surface of the neck, but that will only get you so far without looking odd, and I doubt you could get to a reasonable action without extreme bridge settings using this method, but maybe cut down on a few buzzes and rattles.

Hopefully, another TDPRI builder can pipe up who's near you and help out. With a router, the right bit, a little masking tape and support for the router base, this is an easy, quick fix for someone who's ground out a neck cavity before. Or one of the other ideas regarding finding someone with a router.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

"I have the saddles adjusted all the way up, but it barely plays with no buzzing. "
    If you are that close, just shim the headstock end of the pocket. All my Fenders are shimmed anyway.
    maybe .010" or so, it doesn't take much.

14. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Great big " Thank you " to everyone for sharing your wisdom and advice.
    Looks like alot of options.

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I'll send a suggestion later that'll get you fixed right up. In the middle of something now. Request you give it a day or two and don't go for a quick fix.
    Cheers,
    Rex

John Nicholas and Wizard1962 like this.
  16. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Thanks Rex, will be looking forward to your suggestion

17. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver Tele-Meister

First, you buy a beaver...

18. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Not shimming the bridge, but shimming the neck, using a wedge piece of wood. Similar to what Stew Mac sells, just something to angle the neck forward so the bridge will work.

19. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

20. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit TDPRI Member

why would you raise the neck up further with a shim?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.