I love my single humbucker guitar. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 20, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I really get into my hard rock and heavy metal. And when that is what I want to play i reach for my axe that has only one pickup. A bridge humbucker.

2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I'm blues rock and hard rock, maybe some punk tossed in, and I love my LP Jr! A single P90 does it! I'm also thinking on converting a Strat to the same specs, but a humbucker instead of a P90.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a parts Strat with an Epiphone bridge pickup in it. One volume, no tone control. It's a beast.

- D

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Love my Joan Jett Melody Maker. Have cheated a bit - it's now got a P-rails but it's awesome anyhow.....

FB_IMG_1556943152075.jpg

5. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

My first great guitar was a 1989 Kramer Baretta. I was all about EVH back then. A Duncan JB, single volume with perfectly selected treble bleed cap, it was all I needed back then! Rolling back the volume like EVH on Fools, it cleaned up nicely.

A few years later my musical tastes changed. A dumb kid, I chiseled out the soft basswood body and put a neck humbucker in. What was I thinking!

Lately I've been thinking about paying somebody to fill in the hole and make it original again, but I think it's too far gone for that. The Kramers of that era aren't getting any cheaper, either.

There is something about guitars with one pickup in the bridge, only. They do seem more resonant. I dig the simplicity, too.

6. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

When I was playing rock and metal it was my weapon of choice. But that's been about 25 years ago.

I still like the look of that simple setup. I also prefer the clean look of a Broadcaster/Esquire over a Telecaster.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i do not love your single humbucker guitar...sorry

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep!
    [​IMG]

Simple but effective.

9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I only have one single-pickup electric these days, an Esquire Custom Scorpion that I found on Craiglist five years ago for $150. Couldn't even try it out - strings were totally rusted and one had broken; I think the owner hadn't touched it in ages. But the neck was straight and the frets looked good so I took a chance. With a new set of strings it played just fine.

Really lively feel: set neck, not a bolt-on. Atomic humbucker, with output comparable to a JB but less peaky in the mids. Nice neck, hot sound, cool look. What's not to like?
    [​IMG]

I admit to not playing it as often as my Aerodyne; I really like neck pickup tone and the P90 at the neck in the Aero is fat & sweet. But I can't seem to let the Scorpion go.

Cheap guitar guy likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

PRS SE1 P90 with stacked vol tone RR AT IT'S BEST.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.