Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I know...another Peavey Bandit thread...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rockdog, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Picked up this teal stripe over the weekend from a local seller. The reverb doesn't work so I got it for a song. Not sure what the issue is but I'll likely get a reverb or delay pedal for it anyhow.

It still has the original Sheffield speaker. I see no reason to change it at the moment. It weighs a lot, but don't they all? Maybe I'll put casters on it.

I plugged in my Strat, set the EQ to everything on 7, and this thing sounds like a dream. I can't wait to acquire a couple of decent dirt boxes and get to rockin'.

Any tips or tricks would be most welcome. I haven't found a bad sound yet but I'm sure there's more than one sweet spot I've yet to discover.

Attached Files:

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    Sometimes the reverb transducer wires (in the reverb tank) come unsoldered due to vibration.
    Perhaps that’s all that’s wrong.
    It’s an easy fix.
    Congratulations and good luck!

LGOberean, Jakedog and Rockdog like this.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    The clean channel on Bandits is tailor made for use with modelers. It's really good with the Tech21 SansAmp and Character pedals (and their Chinese made clones), floor units like DigiTech and Zoom and rack units like Line6. This can give you a lot of versatility.

Another thing is that it sounds good at both high and low volume so you can use it for reasonably quiet practice as well as gig volumes.

littlebadboy and Rockdog like this.

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    +1 fixed one over the weekend, a touch of solder and it's BIA, some times it also helps to clean up the RCA connectors, and I have had one where the connection at the board was loose..(be careful if you go inside one hand in your pocket, use a chop stick to try and wiggle the connector)

Rockdog and brookdalebill like this.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Yep, my Boss GT-1 goes into the power amp in. It handles the amo sims really well!

Congratulations!

Rockdog likes this.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yes, congrats. I don't mind another Peavey Bandit thread at all. In fact, I hope I get to post one myself someday soon. I've had a bunch of Peavey amps, sold or gave away some, but meant to always have my Bandit 65. Sadly, it was stolen. I've been checking locally (Craig's List & pawn shops) as well as ebay, but so far, no luck.

And + 2 on looking into repairing that reverb tank. Or maybe replacing it. I'd take the real spring reverb on a Bandit over a pedal any day.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    ce24 and Rockdog like this.

7. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    Chicago Ill
    Congratulations on a great amp!

Rockdog likes this.

8. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Good amps. Congrats!

Rockdog likes this.

9. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

This weekend I took apart my beloved Silver Stripe w/a Shefield speaker and re soldered all the posts on the 1/4” board mounted jacks. Played her long and hard tonite.
    I also got a Teal stripe with a scorpion speaker. Love them both.
    I may even splurge on a new one one day just to have different eras

Rockdog and cactusrob like this.

10. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Last year I looked up a replacement tank for a Peavey Pacer. Seems like it was less than $20. I would imagine it's a similar tank on the Bandit.
    (I never ordered it. I decided to do something else with the cabinet. The Pacer had other issues, too.)

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have the older Solo 65 Bandit ... reverb was out when I got that one. I swapped tanks with my more modern 112 and the tank worked fine. I bought new op-amps (458(?) or something, been a year or more) and swapped those out because they are attached with sockets (easy to swap) and sometimes a cause for similar problems. Op-amps were all ok. While I was in there I tried swapping with the 215s(?) or whatever the other popular mod is as some heard big changes and I found there was slight to no change so I put the originals back. These op-amps were something like five for a dollar. So anyway, mine has a deeper reverb issue. Otherwise works great.

"common culprits:
    • Bad driver and/or recovery stages, on the Peavey Bandit, these are both handled by one dual-opamp IC
    • Broken cables or cable jack connections
    • Bad or corroded footswitch jack (some Bandits have a FS jack, others don't)
    • Broken pickup/pickup wires inside the reverb tank"
    Replace "IC DG211CJ or NJU211D, it controls the voltage going to the reverb tank"

JayFreddy and Rockdog like this.

12. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that! I pulled out the tank last night and everything seems in place. No loose connections or breaks. Assuming it's the footswitch jack or the IC, I'll just leave it be. I've got a $50 credit at Sweetwater so maybe I can put that towards a decent reverb/delay.

13. DugT

DugT Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    What is the advantage of setting the equalizer knobs to 7 versus turning up the volume?

14. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

No advantage really. It's just something I've always done when trying out an amp for the first time. I don't recall where I first got the suggestion, but it's purely anecdotal.

DugT likes this.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Bandit's are like the Solid State Deluxe Reverb. They are a good size for practices and gigs, they are common and usually sound good. I have an '80's Backstage Plus which is the little brother with a ten inch speaker. I use it all the time.

Happy New Amp Day!

cactusrob and Rockdog like this.

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Start with all the tones at 12:00 then do "subtle" tweaks to taste... I find most Peavey amps to be this way. Of course, I always plug in the same guitars so YMMV.

Rockdog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.