Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I just sprung for AC15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gmountain, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I've had the AC10 for a few weeks and have been enjoying i so much, I figured why not gave the 15 a try and see if there is any difference. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is when it arrives.

AAT65, brogh, JJAdams1956 and 4 others like this.

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    One of these days I may have to break down and get one myself...

Anyway, good luck on your acquisition and be sure to let us know how it works out for you (or at least send picts)!

'

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Which models?

With the same speaker(s) I've found the AC15 to be a much louder amp, comparable to many Pro Reverbs. I've found them to be great sounding - but only when they can be cranked up a bit, which is usually too loud for small club use (and way too loud for many home uses). Far more useful nowadays than an AC-15 though IMO.

4. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I love my AC15c1! The only other amps I have/had are a Kalamazoo II, a Monoprice 5W and some old peavey chorus from the 80's. Obviously, The Vox rules the herd but the beautiful cleans and grit i get out of it seem pretty special regardless of its company. It was also my first tube amp.

5. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Holic

Love the AC15.....now I just heard a Princeton Reverb with a Celestion Creamback and fell in love.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have an AC10C1 now and used to have the AC15C1. It's a great amp, with more features (second channel, tremolo) than the AC10. Very similar tone-wise. Some people don't like the spring reverb, but I thought it was fine. I cranked it up all the way in my living room once and yeah, it's friggin' loud. I got rid of it because I played out a lot and it weighed too much.

7. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I am about to pull the trigger on a NT15C1 ... ?

8. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Congrats! I did it backward and started with a AC30C2! Next I'd like to try a handwired and or something with a EF86.

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    i have the ac15c1 blue/creme tv version and it is a great amp. due to the reverb/tremolo, i don't even need any pedals. i do use an aby pedal to utilize both channels.

play music!

AAT65 and Ex-riverman like this.

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Mine took quite a while to grow on me. I couldn't dial in any tones I really liked. It seem fizzy, finicky, and brittle, and also boxy and sterile. I was about to sell it when I gave it one more big break-in push. I played it LOUD, for hours. And sure enough, thereafter, did it open up. It's lovely, now. Deep chime, sizzling overdrive, with a big sweet spot. I don't know if all this was a function of loosening up the speaker or my tastes changing, but I love the thing now. Congrats and enjoy!

hrstrat57 likes this.

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    As said before in forums swap preamp V1 to a quality NOS tube or perhaps TungSol reissue is imperative!! I recco changing all three.

I changed the EL84 power tubes but it had minimal effect on tone.

The Reverb tank in mine was weak, I did a mod 1 swap.

I have the white Cremeback version.

It is killer!

12. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It has a huge cabinet for a 1x12, and that’s good news

13. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have the Prince special purple and cream. They do take a little fiddling to get them right. But plug a Tele in and you have something.

14. Gmountain

Gmountain TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I'd love to see a photo of that.

Preacher likes this.

15. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Yes, please post pics of them both and comparisons. I have an AC10 White Bronco and have also thought about getting a matching 15.

16. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    Swap the tubes!!! All of them. Vox makes great amps, but puts Chinese garbage tubes in them.

I put a set of JJs in my AC15, and its the best amp I've ever owned.

E5RSY and hrstrat57 like this.

17. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    You asked.

IMG_1296.JPG

Stock greenback and tubes. I have had it for about two years after a great CL deal. Love it. My '52 and the little bronco amp in the background. The bronco is for small practice and travel when I don't have a roadie lol

18. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Congrats!

I have the AC-15C1, it is a great amp. As mentioned above an ABY switch gets you more versatility tone-wise.

IMO it is quite a bit more versatile than an AC-10, although the AC-10 gets you into a nice crunch territory at a lower volume if that is important.

19. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut

Yep! NOS in the pre-amp and JJ power tubes. I have a CC1 and installed a cut control. The tone controls interact, as you wick up the treble past about 1:00, the midrange comes forward and the bass begins to roll off slightly. Without a cut control it gets way too bright. The cut is very effective at taming the top end. These amps sound great and are an incredible bang for the buck!

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I'm confused. Is there a typo in there?

I always like hearing what you have to say. Clarify, if you don't mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.