Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I just cannot make my mind up...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by MontyW, Jul 2, 2017.

1. MontyW

MontyW Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2009
    Manchester (UK)
    Hi folks,

I'm about to move house and down size and I'm really unsure if I should go down the modelling route.

Here is my situation. I have a number of non MV valve amps that I only play when gigging and I've not gigged seriously now for over 12 months. My home practice amp is a 57 Champ RI with a dirt pedal up front and thats it. My other amps are now just collecting dust as I dont really gig any longer and its something I wont be doing again.

The new place that I'm moving to wont allow for even the Champ to played without causing some concerns.

My options as far as I can see are limited. I keep the amps and find a simple solution for attenuation / load box for direct silent recording and play back OR I go and embrace a modeller. My issues with keeping the amps are finding an attenuator and load box that will cover 2 - 16 Ohms and the limited space I have for the amps.

I have a iMac (DAW), Apollo interface and Genelec studio monitors BUT I also have some nice amps and lots of different effects I have acquired over the years.

I mainly play blues and lower gain rock, so not interested in high gain stuff. If I do go modelling I'm looking for Fender tweed and blackface and a JTM45 models, so how close do the modellers get to a mic'd amp?

Thoughts?

2. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    Maybe get a Kemper or Axe fx. They are profilers and have every amp you can think of that it can sound like. It sounds just as good as a tube amp, but is better because the tone doesn't change based on the room or mic placement, or weather. They are pricey, but maybe it's doable in your situation.

3. MontyW

MontyW Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2009
    Manchester (UK)
    Thanks for the info. Either the Axe Fx or Kemper would work for me, just that I've not been abe to try either. I'm think you are right that a modeller would work for me and I have to be sensible. I've already got my DAW so its just a matter of deciding :)

4. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I just bought a THR 10. It does clean through high gain. I understand the THR 10C is more focused on clean to slight over driven amps. Which may be more to your liking.

Mine has great sound at low volume and acts like a tube amp with the gain and master knobs. It can be cranked too. It's my go any where in the house amp and 5:00 am amp while my wife is still in bed.

5. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    Garageband > headphones for silent at-home jamming
    If if find you miss the aural effect of a cranked amp in a room, play a gig with a cranked amp in a room

Chicago Matt likes this.

6. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I have the THR10 and THR10X (high gain version). I used to have the THR10C as well and can vouch that they are fine amps and would likely suit his needs as MontyW described them. Given his style of music, the THR10C would be the best choice I think. These amps are solid sounding, very dependable over the long haul and many people like them. Each of them come with 5-7 amp choices which vary according to the model. They have a selection of basic effects which sound good especially in wide stereo. These are laid out like a tube amp and it's quite easy to get different excellent tones quickly. You can also do deeper editing via windows software. $299 street but online coupons will drop that to $250 or so.

Having said that, I recently bought one of the new Fender Mustang GT40 amps. It is more flexible and programmable that the THR's and it's $50 cheaper. After the latest firmware was released recently, I found that the sound it is capable of is excellent. The variety of clean amps on it has made me rethink what I feel inclined to play (I'm primarily a higher gain brown sound type player). The tones are inspiring and I find myself playing more than usual. It has a larger selection of amps and effects than the THR's and more slots to save presets in as well. It has deep editing without the need for external software.

My recommendation would be to try both and see which suits your needs best. If it were me, I'd probably get both. Although I don't use pedals other than a Wah, I've heard that both take pedals well in case you plan to keep and use some of the ones that you've mentioned you have.

Best of luck.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    As i have mentioned in the GT thread, i'm really impressed with the 57 champ in the fender GT100. granted, i never owned a fender tweed but i love old ZZ top much of which was recorded with them and it really nails that vibe to the point i keep gravitating to that preset even to it;s not the type of sound i typically like as my main tone. It's just so good. Of course it sounds nothing like that till you tweak it which IMO requires a different cab. Those stock cab sims for the small amp models just don't sound good IMO so as always i use the 412BG cab and drive it with the greenbox stomp model. Just killer with all that squawky harmonic goodness in those old ZZ records. Anyways, IMO the GT's are a amazing box of many sounds and sounds good low too. In fact, if you turn way down to where its so low the sound becomes mushy, a trip to the global settings brings back the bite at low volume. But im talking REAL low. Till you get to 12AM bedroom volume it sounds great. How you will feel about it, i dunno as with everything tone, YMMV.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Download the free trial of Scuffham Amps S-Gear.

It will cover all your bases, and I think you'll be impressed.

privatesalt likes this.

9. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    +1 on Scuffam S-Gear. IMHO the amp tone is up there with some of the high end modelers. And has amazing reverbs, delays, effects. They are very musical. It has an easy interface and a 'Proconvolver' for loading cabinet impulse responses. That's one of my main draws to it. Lot's of great Cab IRs being made now. And the new ones that come with S-Gear are incredible. I've bounced around on alot of them and always come back to S-Gear.
    Try out the trial.. you'll buy it within 30min lol. They have a great deal going on right now.. $99.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.