Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I just bought a horse

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Oct 3, 2017.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Congrats, hoosier dude! I'm sure your daughter will have the best of times...and having to see that trainer from time to time isn't going to hurt your eyes at all.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Congrats! That's very cool.

We bought a four-acre farm a few years back. I'm thinking someday I'm gonna get a donkey and a cart.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats! There are lots of horses in my corner of Canuckistan and I drive by'em on the way to work. Lots of my daughters friends are "horsey girls", too.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    his name is Sid

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Nice, we had a cockatiel named Syd

7. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    He's a handsome fella. My girlfriend has a horse - they are a lot of work but she loves doing it. Hers is very well trained and she works her out regularly to keep her up to speed. For fun she takes her out trail riding. Have fun with him.

8. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Can't see the telecaster

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Horses used to be called 'hayburners' Now they are called 'CashBurners'
    Id love to have livestock, Ive even got property zoned for 3 horses but its a big commitment. Maybe goats? LOL
    I know those who are involved love the lifestyle. I think its really great for kids especially.
    [​IMG]

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    There are some great places to ride up there. Years ago, when my wife lived in Kelowna, we would often go out riding with some friends who owned a small ranch north of Westbank. It was always a great day.

ndcaster likes this.

11. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2011
    johnstown
    We've had horses for the last 33 years. My wife rode a lot until we built a barn and moved the horses home, then they became expensive lawn ornaments.

Vet bills aren't bad, only once or twice a year. The killer is the blacksmith bills. Whether or not they have shoes, the blacksmith is at the farm every 6-8 weeks. Their feet grow just like your finger nails.

ndcaster likes this.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I love horses but never owned one. A former gf had three for a while so I got to know them pretty well.

I learned to ride to do a pack trip in NW Yellowstone that was among the greatest experiences of my life.

Happy NHD!

ndcaster likes this.

13. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    There are a lot of steaks in there, and you will probably find something cool to do with hooves. Plectrums maybe ?

Just kidding of course i don t eat horse meat. I had some once but i didn t even know it was horse.

He s got a few 1000th more kms in him.

ndcaster likes this.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    You can lead a guitarist to an instrument but you can't make him Tune.

teletimetx and joealso like this.

15. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That's really cool. Congrats to both of you (and your daughter, who really GOT A PONY!)

I spent a bit of time around horses when I was at summer camp as a kid. Liked 'em a lot, but it was just never part of anything else in my life, so the interest never went anywhere. But I remember (most of) them as real gentle souls.

I have a nice acre of grass out back, and I've always thought about adopting one of those little burros with the cross on their back. Maybe if my wife pre-deceases me. Any sooner, and I'm sure I'll pre-decease her. :lol:

ndcaster and MickM like this.

16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Just be careful to avoid HAS, I live in a town, but that has not stopped my next door neighbour acquiring more horses than I have Telecasters (10)!!

ndcaster likes this.

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Congratulations!

The ORIGINAL horse power!!!

ndcaster likes this.

18. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I've always loved riding horses and have always dreamed of owning one.
    Back in the mid '70s I almost bought a beautiful three year old palomino mare. The owner was asking $800 for her, with all her tack. I went to a local riding stable to see about boarding her. It was then I realized the cost of ownership would be $800 down and $225 a month plus vet and farrier maintenance.
    One of the very few times in my life that common sense came to my rescue.

ndcaster and xafinity like this.

19. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I remember a simpsons episode with that same exact story about the cost of maintening a horse.

20. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Probably cheaper than having kids. Horses don't get accepted to expensive colleges, at least in my experience. :rolleyes:

teletimetx likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.