Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I just bought a horse

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Oct 3, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    'cause, you know, zombie apocalypse etc

sid1-750.jpg

he's an old show horse, a 20 year old paint with a lot of quarter horse in him, well-taken care of, I figure we'll get 8 years or so

that's the vet there, and holding the harness is our friend and trainer who is one tough cookie

good people, good horses

never thought I'd own one, but there it is, life isn't fun if it's entirely what you expect

sid2-750.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Congratulations!
    Great looking horse!

ndcaster likes this.

3. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    We have a horse farm at the edge of our neighborhood. There's a joke in there somewhere.

ndcaster likes this.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    thanks Bill, he's got a few joint-related issues, nothing out of the ordinary, and he's in need of a chiro adjustment

but I guess I could say the same of me! so we old guys, I guess we bonded

he's for my daughter, who is over the moon

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    it's funny, you drive five minutes out of my town and you're in a thriving horse culture: plenty of jobs for trainers, vets, boarders, breeders, feed producers

it was surprising to me, some cultures are tough old grasses, they don't go entirely away

and I'm thinking they could use more barn parties with heavy telecaster components : )

JayFreddy, MickM and troy2003 like this.

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Quarterhorses have a nice temperament - my sister had one growing up. Cimmaron - my sister's horse - used to walk up behind me and put her head on my shoulder when I was fixing the fence. You just don't know how heavy a horse's head and neck are until they "lay it on you".

That is a beautiful horse you have there.

7. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Happy new horse day :) ... its a good looking one !

8. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Congrats! My wife and son show an APHA Paint mare. It's been great for them. My son is 9 has been riding since he was 5 and now has opportunities to learn polo and roping. I'm with, you I never thought this would be part of my life. Yes, they can be expensive. But as I've been told, they are cheaper than drugs or therapy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Congrats on such a nice addition to your family.

My cousin lives on Skyline Blvd in Woodside California overlooking the Pacific Ocean. She and her husband bought the property in the 1960's when there was some reality in prices. They have roughly 10 acres on the ridgeline and have trails all around the area. She has had 2 - 3 horses on the property as long as I can remember. Whenever I go home for visits, I make a point of going to her place and enjoying a nice ride around the area. I know that it can be extremely expensive, especially vet bills, but I suspect from how enjoyable their life has been it is well worth it. My other cousin who died last year, took me to the old Elk's Club stables in San Mateo as a small kid and put me on a horse and led me around the pen. I've loved horses ever since that experience. She had a horse for most of her adult life. In my family you either own horses or they kick you out of the state; which is what happened to me.:)

Chicago Matt and ndcaster like this.

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    That is cool! Used to ride quite a bit as a kid, loved horses. I even scratched up half of the $40 a guy on the edge of town wanted for an old nag, but when I arrived to negotiate the horse was gone. He claimed it died of bloat. Probably a good thing for me, as my parents mighta finally thrown my 12 year old self out over that one. We lived in town and they'd put up with the pigeons, crow & most other critters I dragged home, but a whipped out horse mighta been an issue.

Nice looking horse there, enjoy.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Horsin' around definitely has taken on a literal aspect at you home twenty! Nice looking horse hope your daughter enjoys having, riding, and taking care of him, and that they become good friends.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Congrats. I love to ride horses and have always planned on getting one, but alas, too many other interests.

ndcaster likes this.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    thanks toto, I think they're already pals, and it's her that the horse is for

I'm just a trail rider at best, but I can muck out a stall like nobody's business!

("so who's training whom, hm?")

I have to add, that trainer got kicked about six weeks ago. she breaks horses, and one of them kicked her arm and tore the biceps right off the bone. the doc had to drill into her humerus, re-insert the ligament or whatever, and I'll be damned if it didn't heal up fine -- she's back in the saddle and obviously looking fit as a fiddle

role model for our little miss

14. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    When I was about seven years old, I wanted a horse and a guitar more than anything in the world.
    I got the guitar. The horse may have to wait a few more years, it's still on my bucket list.
    Congratulations!

JayFreddy likes this.

15. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Nice looking horse. I’ll admit, not really a fan. I appreciate them. Went I was real young, the neighbors horse scared me something terrible. Started bucking and took off running. I’m still scared of them. On a church camp retreat in the Black Hills we rode them. Of course I got the biggest horse there. He sensed my uneasiness and gently tipped to the side to let me slide off!

16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Nice horse, congrats.
    I used to love to ride back in the day.

17. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Owning a horse will be a great relief for you.
    It will eliminate any indecision about how to invest any spare dollars.

JayFreddy, MickM, jackinjax and 2 others like this.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hahahaha

they can get really big, can't they -- I once sat on a draft horse for the first time, and when it turned around to look at me in the saddle, with one of its neck muscles bigger than both my thighs, I thought "Lord help me, I'm sitting on a dinosaur"

how people hunt foxes on these things, I will never know

Paul in Colorado and troy2003 like this.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    well, I'm going in with eyes open and we're not exactly aiming for Saratoga

what makes it affordable is very reasonable board and the fact that our trainer will be able to use him to teach new riders, proceeds from which will take boarding costs even lower

and Miss NDC is going to be doing a *lot* more chores, lol

Chicago Matt and troy2003 like this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Finally ! Someone who was serious when he said "I have to go see a man about a horse."

Congrats !

4 Cat Slim and ndcaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.