Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hold the 1972 Radio Shack guide: Building Speaker Enclosures. Ask me anything.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by andyfromdenver, Nov 16, 2013.

1. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Book by Robert G. Middleton.

lol, a "for fun thread".

My electronics friend gave me this last night and it's full of super friendly and digestible info and methods.

I need to scan it in. In the meantime, I'll post the table of contents and would photo/quote any sections of interest. :)

Attached Files:

2. chas.wahl

chas.wahl TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2012
    NYC
    I have access to a free scanner and can assemble in PDF, if you need help.

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Is it protected by a copyright?

4. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    If it doesn't specifically say "copyright" in it, it's public domain since it was published before '77. If it does say "copyright" in it, it's protected for another 55 years.

Just to be safe, could send 95¢ to Radio Shack to cover the lost sales damage :D

5. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Haha! Ok, it does state "copyright"

Well, I can re-phrase or whatever. Like, didja know. Given two speakers of unequal impedance (4ohm and 8ohm ex.) Wired in Parallel, the 4ohm speaker will draw more power. Wired in series, more power will be drawn by the 8ohm.

There's handy info about crossovers too; capacitor values and coil values.

6. nogin007

nogin007 Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2003
    Wellington, AL
    I have a second edition, copyrighted in 1988, 1991.

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    I've got the same book, found it at Half Price Books a few years ago.

Some useful info, but the build quality (maybe more accurately, style of construction) of the enclosures isn't to my liking. At least not for vintage style amps or speaker cabs.

8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I sure used a lot of Radio Shack speakers in home-built cabinets back around then...

9. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

Back in the day, I bugged Altec, JBL, and EV for plans, didn't know that I could get some from Radio Shack!

10. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    Chapter 4 - "Speaker Enclosure Columns" the only way to rock!

11. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    The Vocal Master Disaster...

12. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Haha!! When guitar rock was king.
    Now excuse me while I take my iPad and a bunch of stolen software to my next sold out gig!!!

13. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    a better vintage book....

If you like vintage books and are interested in measuring the Thiele Small parameters of your speakers, a much better book is "How to Design, Build & Test Complete Speaker Systems by David B. Weems.

The hi-fi designs are very basic, especially in terms of passive crossover design.

And in terms of the testing, it is pretty dated in a day where we use SMAART-TEF etc to measure our systems, but the book does an outstanding job of explaining how speaker systems work.

If you are using sealed or vented enclosures, this book will help you design an enclosure that works with a specific speaker to deliver a specific response.

Attached Files:

14. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    here's me with 2 12's and 4 15's - all home-built Radio Shack specials!
    [​IMG]

15. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    @ paratus, woah thanks for the recommendation, I do love the world of owners and service manuals of all kinds really :)

@jhundt, thanks for sharing that cool pic, you look like a total bad a$$ :). Is that a Bassman and some nice old strat? Pro gear, including the awesome DIY speakers.

On a lighter note, the saying, "pro gear, pro attitude"... Makes me lol for some reason.

16. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Now that I've spent some time with it, I must agree :). Not a holy grail item/relic for sure.

17. jhundt

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Andy - that photo is from 1972. I'm playing my '68 Strat thru a '66 (?) Blackface Bassman. On the floor is a Blackface Bandmaster that we used as a PA amp that day, mixing the mics thru a little 5-dollar Calrad passive mixer. Not visible are the two humongous home-built Altec A7 "Voice of the Theatre" PA speakers. Very primitive by today's standards!

18. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    You forgot to mention the coiled guitar cable! classic shot that one....

19. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Cool!

And yes, the mojo filled coily cord :)

20. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    is "mojo" the official marketing term for "lots of capacitance"? :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.