I heard Blitzkrieg Pop at the grocery store. It’s official. Nothing matters now.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, Apr 25, 2019.

1. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

just, stay away from the produce section if you do. especially the bananas.

speaking of produce, and over priced groceries...

betcha this little ditty would increase beverage sales,

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Must be tiring to constantly evaluate your taste music against the validity of your rebellion?

Whatizitman and Greg_L like this.
  3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Agreed.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Will the real Ned Flanders please stand up.

skunqesh likes this.
  5. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I pulled into a minimart where a bunch of elderly locals were shooting the breeze outside as "Touch of Grey" came over the speakers at the gas pumps.

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno how wealthy they were when they died.

Most of the wealth typically goes to the songwriters/ those who hold the publishing which in the Ramones is mostly Dee Dee and Joey although Blitzkrieg is mainly Tommy with Dee Dee, and I think Sheena and Sedated are Joey. From that I’d expect Joey to be the wealthiest, but. They probably didn’t get a ton of radio airplay back in the day and toured a lot so they may have made the bulk of their income from touring and merch. They sold a lot of t-shirts. So the income may have been fairly evenly distributed.
    I know at the end Johnny had a house in the Valley.
    I also understand their biggest source of income is the playing of hey ho let’s go at sports stadiums, but if the publishing belongs to Dee Dee and Tommy, their estates should be the ones getting that money stream.

So, comfortable, but I’m guessing not filthy rich.

But, the music endures, I’m sure the back catalogue continues to sell and the merch and stadium stuff as well as supermarket apparently. They may be making more now than they ever did.

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Supposedly Dee Dee gave up a chunk of his rights as part of a deal to get out of legal trouble. The Ramones bailed him out more than once. Dee Dee was still humping it in the clubs as a solo act up until his death.

Johnny said he had a goal of "saving a million dollars" before he'd spend any money on extravagant things. According to his book he met that goal some time in the late 80s/early 90s. I'm paraphrasing and I'll have to re-read that part, but it was something like that. Johnny lived like a miser and ran the band as one too.

Joey made money in the stock market, so much so that he wrote a song for Maria Bartiromo.

Tommy was the brains and inventor of the band in the early days, although not much has been said about what kind of financial results he got from it. He's dead too.

Both Johnny and Joey were very well off by the time they died. Filthy rich? That depends on how you define filthy rich. I think it's safe to say they were millionaires a few times over and had they not died prematurely they still wouldn't have had to hold a real job to make ends meet.

CJ, Marky, Richie...I'm assuming they all have made much less money off being in the band. And they're still alive and kicking. CJ is actually doing very fine work with his own solo project.

8. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

My local football team (soccer to those who play rugby in crash helmets), Newcastle United, play Blitzkrieg Bop as the teams emerge from the tunnel.
    One of my local shops regularly plays the Clash, the Cure, Bob Marley, Blondie, Echo & the Bunnymen, David Bowie. All the 50 somethings walk around the store singing along.

9. Geoff738

It can sometimes not really make sense who has made money and who hasn’t. If they made it to having a few million by the early 90s it makes sense that they hung it up given how they couldn’t stand each other, Johnny and Joey in particular. I had record company weasel friends who had to work with them near the end and apparently it wasn’t very fun.

Cheers,
    Geoff

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'll agree with the OP the day I hear "Sister Ray" by the velvet underground in the grocery store.

11. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The one that got me was hearing See No Evil by Television at Walgreens. I also heard what I think was the album version of My Generation there, the version with the auto-destruct freak out ending with the guitar feedback and everything. I've never actually heard the first Who album, so I'm not certain, but it sounded like the version they mimed to on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, so I'm guessing that's it.

David Barnett and Whatizitman like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Yup. I heard See No Evil a couple of weeks ago at the same Kroger.

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Doncha mean a bottle of anything and a glazed donut to go?

Whatizitman likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Not in my store, you don’t!!

15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior TDPRI Member

Hey, if people are late to the party I'm not holding it against them

Also, See No Evil is amazing, get on the bus with the rest of us, Walgreen's shoppers.

Whatizitman likes this.
  16. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Wait till you hear the elevator version - Kaboom:eek::eek::eek:

17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I generally dislike how corporations and groups of people do things, yet somehow I cannot avoid doing the same things.

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

according to one of those net worth sites

joey = 6 million

johnny = 10 million

dee dee = 500k

tommy = 5 million

marky = 12 million

ritchie = 100k to a million

cj = 6 million

elvis ramone aka clem burke of blondie = 92 million

ScubaGeek likes this.
  19. Geoff738

If those numbers are even close to accurate? Wha?

None of that really makes sense to me given the common thing that it’s all about the publishing. But there’s also many ways to piss that away and Clem Burke what? How? Was he a trust fund kid? Did he write the Blondie tunes and even then, what?

But also glad that Joey, Johnny and Tommy got some reward for what they created. And sad that Dee Dee didn’t or stuffed it up his arm. I’ve said it on here before so I might as well say it again: I think he’s the most underrated songwriter in the history of rock n roll.

Cheers,
    Geoff

20. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

im not sure if the sites that do someones net worth is 100% correct...but dee dee was married twice...plus the drug use...im surprised he had that much money...and you may be right about dee dee as a writer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.