I heard Blitzkrieg Pop at the grocery store. It’s official. Nothing matters now.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Whatizitman, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

In West Virginia, to boot. I’ve also heard Talking Heads and a few others.

It is official. If you play in a band, and are old enough to remember Muzak, you are no longer cool. Period. End of story.

Give away your guitars and amps. Throw them off a bridge. Burn them for kindling. The universe no longer cares. I’m sorry to inform y’all that nothing matters anymore.

2. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I'll wait till I hear GG Allin at Whole Foods before I do any of that.

3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Man's gotta pay the rent..

Driver3 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Blitzkrieg Bop is a better song.:D

getbent, Jakeboy, Alex W and 24 others like this.
  5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

My nephew had a Tony Hawk skateboard video game with that song in it. I started singing along and he said "I thought they were saying Let's Kick Butt"

Euphonica likes this.
  6. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

My local Kroger featured Welcome to the Jungle in its soundtrack recently. SMH

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

My local burger king had AC/DC's Big Balls on the dining rooms free jukebox.
    I put it on during a kids birthday party one time. It was loud and hilarious seeing the different reactions. The kids seemed unfazed by it but the parents ranged from a look of outrage to hidden laughter and smirks of enjoyment.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. Whatizitman

Right? But according to guitar forums, rock is NOT dead. All we need is a new hero to show up, and everything will turn right around. You’ll see!

Yep. That’s what goes through my mind waiting in line at the Kroger pharmacy.

thegeezer and boredguy6060 like this.
  9. Whatizitman

I seriously always thought it was Pop.

Part of me wishes my kids would be the ones to point that out to me. Sadly, that will never happen. They don’t even know the song. I know they’ve heard it. They just don’t care. It’s Muzak to them.

Nope. It had to be another forumite.

I don’t know if I should be grateful or hopeless. Nothing matters.

Luis Mendo likes this.
  10. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Blitzkreig Bop I can understand. As much as I love my Ramones, they have always been a hoodlum pop band.

Now, if I ever hear Sonic Reducer in a grocery store, I'm just going to head over to the household cleaners aisle and chug a bottle of Drain-o.

Don't get me wrong, I love that alternative music has gotten the appreciation it has always deserved. I just wonder where all these punters were back in the day when I was getting shoved into lockers and worse for my punk rock proclivities. I guess I owe them all a big "You're welcome!"

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

For me it would take hearing King Crimson's Neurotica. I think I'll try a jug of that CLR cleaner though... Panera Bread plays music so 'hipster' and annoying it IS musical Drain-O!

12. Whatizitman

Yeah, Ramones are a little more on the known pop side of things. But it wasn’t I Wanna Be Sedated. And a while back they played Clash. Not Should I Stay.., but London Calling. Those were the ‘deeper’ cuts played on early alternative/college stations in the 80s.

I know I’ve heard a few others that I heard way back when on college radio in CA in the 80s. But this is WV. It was even rarer here. Most of my friends that have grown up here have never heard them before. And it’s not like they’re gonna be focused on songs they don’t recognize while grabbing a carton of eggs after a long work day.

But turn on the radio, and it’s brometal, brocountry, and the same 20 classic rock songs they’ve played since it first called classic. No. For classic ‘alternative’ just go to the local supermarket.

Sheesh. Somehow, someway, Nickelback is to blame.

Jakeboy, Paul in Colorado and ponce like this.
  13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I'd have been more impressed if it had been 'I wanna Be Sedated'.

Seems more appropriate for a supermarket.

stinkey and beagle like this.
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

"Boris The Spider" in a Taco Bell in 1998 really threw me for a loop. I don't think I've been to Taco Bell since.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Blitzkrieg Bop was used in an AT&T commercial in the 90's. I was both stoked & sad.

Whatizitman likes this.
  17. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don t know.... it s a way to make a bit of easy money. Especially for the ramones, who were famous but not famous enough and had to tour constantly to make ends meet. I remember hearing REv horton heat in a nike commercial ad.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Meister

Considering all of the most important Ramones have unfortunately left this earth and have been gone for 15+ years, I don't think they're too worried about making money anymore. The Ramones by their own admission always wanted to be a successful mainstream band. It never happened in their lifetime, but they did want it. To them, songs about sniffing glue and beating on brats with baseball bats were normal things. It took them a while to realize that neutered 70s FM radio was not having it.

Also, Joey and Johnny retired filthy rich. They toured constantly, yes, and they saved and invested whatever money they made. The Ramones empire, now run by Johnny's widow and Joey's brother, is more about preserving the legacy and keeping the name going. Kids everywhere wear Ramones t shirts even though they can't name one song. That's terrible, but it's better than being totally forgotten.

If it were me, I'd be stoked to hear Ramones or The Clash in a grocery store. Hell yeah. That beats the hell out of awful sterile classic rock crap like Sweet Home Alabama or Don't Fear the Reaper.

jim777, Ben-Zion and Uncle Bob like this.
  19. scelestus

scelestus TDPRI Member

Or the Angry Samoans! Or that, uh..."classic" by The Meatmen.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

They died rich ? I didn t know that. Lets take the case of rev horton heat, a bit of easy money to appear in an ad. Can t win easier money than that. I wouldn t mind one of my song apprearing in an ad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.