Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I HAVE FIVE CAROLINA REAPERS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Don’t rub anything else, either.

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Not sure i get what you do with hot pepper jelly.
    Actually i dont get it at all.
    Never heard of it.
    Maybe just a different way of distributing heat

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Just put them in a bottle with some vinegar; then you’ll have pepper vinegar to sprinkle on things. As you use the vinegar just replace it in the bottle, those chiles have enough heat to flavor many iterations of this.

They have a slightly fruity flavor that translates well into a vinegar sauce. I do the same thing with Datils that I grow.

bl28 and JustABluesGuy like this.

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I ate one last friday (there's a reason for that), and four two weeks ago. The first four cross pollinated with an eggplant or something and weren't as hot as they were supposed to be, so the next batch (guy at work grows them and gives them to me), I ate one while drinking my coffee, and it was perfectly fine (as in unpleasantly hot).

I eat a lot of really hot food (that's an understatement), so it didn't make me ill or anything, but it was unpleasant.

if someone didn't eat food at the habanero/ghost level on a regular basis, I would expect they'd get sick.

Reapers don't taste good, either. Every one I've eaten has had a chemical or soapy flavor. habanero and ghost peppers taste good. I have no idea where reapers would be preferable in food to habanero or ghost given that the latter taste good and the former doesn't. If you can't make food hot enough with ghost peppers, you probably have a nerve disorder.

Reapers (and ghosts) are bad enough in terms of touch/contact that I'd say if you're going to eat them, cut them outside, and wear gloves, or your hands will feel like they're warm for a day or two - and in a strange way, it'll feel like it's inside them. When I eat ghosts in food, I hold them by the base of the stem and shave pieces off with a very sharp knife (think more like a razor than a knife) so that the only thing that actually touches the pepper is the food, the knife, and the very tip of my fingers if there's a little bit of incidental contact. Cutting boards, knives, etc, that other people will use (if they don't like hot foods) are out of the question. Alternate space and tools if you want to cut a bunch of them up and freeze them.

But, like i said, bad flavor on the reapers, so what's the point?

nojazzhere likes this.

5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    definitely - hands free urinal style if you go the Men's Room before washing your hands several times. Takes a little while to realize what happened if you don't, but you'll realize it.

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    They must differ from seed to seed. Our local seeds have a nasty flavor. Chemicals, Soap (not both of those, one batch that I tasted tasted like plasticky chemical flavor, the next tasted like soap before the tingles started). I'm sure someone can get that figured out over time. Ghost peppers and habaneros all seem to have a similar flavor within type.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    A common use is to pour it over cream cheese, and eat the combo on crackers. The cheese makes a nice foil to the spice.

Regarding some tasting bad, growing conditions have a lot to do with it. My habaneros get that harsh chemical taste if they're overwatered once they set fruit. One of the perks of living in a desert is water can be closely controlled.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    The only way I’ve had pepper jelly is over cream cheese as a spread for crackers. Yum!

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    My ex g/f's mum (when I was at school) was from Sri Lanka. She knew I love curries so she made me a typical Sri Lankan curry containing what she described as "Naga" chillies.

Sweet Jeebus, two mouthfuls in, I thought the whole of my intestinal tract from throat down had been napalmed. I took a load of milk and yoghurt to get me to the point where I could breathe and speak normally.

I still love curries and carne con chilli but "a little spikey" is where I draw the line. I'm no masochist.

tvvoodoo likes this.

10. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I used to have a LOT of tiny little wild peppers (tepins and piquins) that volunteered in my yard.

I would harvest a bunch of them once they were ripe, and lay them out on a cookie sheet in the sun for a couple of days to dry. I would then grind them and put them in a shaker. The hot vinegar trick works well too, but I really loved them dried and sprinkled on scrambled eggs!

Unfortunately, I haven’t had any volunteers here since moving!

RodeoTex likes this.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Stuff them with cheese, batter and deep fry, for some Carolina Reaper Poppers!

JustABluesGuy and clintj like this.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Don't trifle with them. Rubber gloves, eye protection, and a respirator. If you have strong ones and make a mistake, you are headed to the ER. Chemical burns are no joke.

13. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    I gave away a ton of Habeneros this year cause I grew WAY too many. One neighbor gave me back a jar of habenero grape jelly (also used concord grapes from our yard) and I love it!

The sugar in the jelly kicks the heat down as you're eating so you really get the flavor of the pepper with just a hint of the heat, but it never gets anywhere close to painful. I've been slathering it on toast (with butter too) and it's wonderful.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM

14. bl28

bl28 TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    San Diego, CA

Just found out about peppa sauce this year. Poked holes in the sides of the peppers, added some peppercorns, used some mango vinegar for some sweetness, then keep topping off with white vinegar. Just had it on pizza last night.

IMG_5697.jpg

15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    My only experience with reapers was the Paqui reaper tortilla chip and it tasted awful. I love the Paqui ghost pepper chips.

16. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I have bought a sauce made with Carolina Reapers recently and used it on a snack. Fantastic experience. 3 days with the sensation of have no tongue in my mouth.

JustABluesGuy and william tele like this.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So on the hotness scale it overlaps with PEPPER SPRAY and you're curious about how to use them as FOOD? What's next, tear gas appetizers?

18. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I use Ghost Peppers every now and then. I make some pretty good HOT Salsa ... I go for enough heat to not overpower the taste. Not sure about the Reapers though...maybe the Vinegar Bottle thing... Or just toss them. The guy who gave them to me makes a Sweet Pineapple Salsa with them.

19. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    dont eat the seeds! at 2200 scovilles , OUCH!

angst.jpg Shit-de-bed3.jpg

FenderGyrl and JustABluesGuy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.