Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I have a challenge for you...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sconnie, Nov 9, 2017.

Do you want a switch for your car's headlights?

1. Yes, I'm an anachronism and I enjoy getting jump-starts from strangers

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. No, I prefer the roads to be as safe as possible at all times

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Leave me alone, if I want to endanger your life that's your problem!

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    How many TDPRI posters does it take to change a light bulb? Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

Sconnie likes this.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    So that tailgaters can be even more of a jerk at night. Who would want to take away that charming piece of driving etiquette?

Sconnie likes this.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    In order:

Liberty, sure, I'm sure some people consider themselves a separate, ungovernable entity ;)

Why haven't they? It's obvious, they have many more money-making decisions to worry about! The more realistic situation is that something like this would have to be legislated, wouldn't be the first law of this kind to be passed.

We all are, isn't that obvious? I say "you can't make the decision to let people's negligence endanger me," and you say "you can't make that decision for me." Hence the impasse! There must be some way to move forward a different way.

That's definitely a "nice try, you lose!" hahaha, so I did decide on one loser after all, ya got me!

STEVE HOLT! (arms flexed emoji)

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Not putting lights on is one of the least consequential things idiot drivers do. Go back to your rubber room before you hurt yourself.

Flat6Driver likes this.

5. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    You seem to be oblivious to the fact that, when you were a 10 year old, most cars being sold had their lights on all day and night and there was nothing you could do about - exactly what you seem to want to legislate. Society has backed away from that somewhat because it’s not what people wanted. It not what YOU want, it’s what most people want.

We all live in fear of stupid, dangerous things that other people might do. But implementing a law to mitigate every fear is not a rational response. Heck, I’m much more afraid of you having your hands on a voting lever than I am of a driver that can access a headlamp switch, but I’m not going to advocate a law to deal with my fear.

6. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    My sister drove a Pontiac Grand Am (I can't remember the year but I want to say 98) and the lights were on all the time. There was no button, just lights. I'm guessing there's a reason they went away from that, though I don't know the reason.

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I think that if the poll choices had not been so condescending and narrow minded, this could have been a constructive conversation. As it is, the OP left no room for anyone to disagree with him in the poll, without being personally degraded or insulted.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Can't change it now :/ I didn't think the poll was such a big deal, I guess I was wrong. It was really just meant to be a joke, tone is hard to convey via text. Please accept my apologies!

I would say "unaware" rather than "oblivious" since I wasn't driving at the time :) I've driven a '97 civic, '90 Pathfinder, and now a 2016 Impreza all of which had the regular switch.

I totally understand it's most likely a market driven feature which is fine.

It's 2017 so I vote through the mail so I don't have to miss work ;)

9. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I am glad the choices do not show any bias and just ask yes or no.

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Seems to me most of this could be solved with simple tech. If it's dark and you start your car, the lights come on; if not the headlights, at least the running lights. If you want them off, you toggle them off, but this is not a sticky switch. If the car starts to move and it's dark, lights come on. No way to defeat this. End result: if it's dark and the car is moving, the lights are on.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Actually the one situation where I really wish I could shut off my headlights is to warn the dummies that are driving in the dark with their lights off.
    High to low beams never seems to alert the stuporous.

TeleTucson and TheGoodTexan like this.

13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Yes, of course. A politician would have been much polite about it.

TeleTucson likes this.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I don't really care if they're on when it's light out. Had a Suzuki Wagon around '99 that had the headlights on all the time. Didn't bother me a bit. Most of my motorcycles had it on all the time too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.