Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I have a challenge for you...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sconnie, Nov 9, 2017.

Do you want a switch for your car's headlights?

1. Yes, I'm an anachronism and I enjoy getting jump-starts from strangers

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. No, I prefer the roads to be as safe as possible at all times

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Leave me alone, if I want to endanger your life that's your problem!

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Is this for real?! I thought it was crazy that I can't pump my own gas in Oregon, but this is crossing the line.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    They have the “headlights on when raining” law here in Tennessee, but like almost all moving violations, they don’t enforce it. Pretty much the only thing you’re going to be stopped for around here is ridiculous speeding, and obvious DUI signals (weaving, etc).

Wallo Tweed and jackinjax like this.

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Cops don't want to get out in the rain to write the tickets. :twisted:

nojazzhere and TheGoodTexan like this.

4. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The light thing used to bother me because I couldn't believe people were too dumb to turn on their lights. I mean, don't you even look at your dash when you're driving? Don't you notice that your instruments are dark? Then someone pointed out to me that a lot of cars have the dash illuminated whether the lights were on or not. That made it a lot easier to understand, especially in the city where the streets are all lit up anyway.

But it still bugs me some.

5. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    Seems to me this (and MANY other driving problems) could be solved by doing what I've been suggesting for 30 years - make drivers license tests HARDER.

Stop giving licenses to stupid people.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    How else can a clown be free and invisible to THE NIGHT?

jackinjax and studio like this.

7. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington
    I like to make my own decisions. The more that people allow other people, or inanimate objects, to provide for their safety, the less safe they actually are.

I get to see people driving without headlights often and have the opportunity to interact with them on a regular basis. What I notice consistently is that most of them don’t understand how their car works, and have the expectation that the systems in the car are automatic. In a sense, they have been dumbed down due to over-reliance on technology.

Ten years ago, it was a pretty good bet that someone driving without headlights at night was DUI. Now they just don’t know how the car works and drive like drunks because they’re distracted.

Scooter91, RLee77 and nojazzhere like this.

8. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    Your idea is a good one. It concerns safety. It's just that it's aligned with the current and inevitable/trendy paradigm of everything being automated, not giving consumers a choice.

9. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    You have to turn your headlights on when it is raining? I usually do that, but there is a law? Dang, this is getting crazy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

10. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    No, we need to mandate only white or silver colored cars...they're easier to see in the dark. And then maybe require special driving tests for people who want to drive after dark. and then......well, I'm sure we can come up with a bunch more rules to circumvent Darwin's Origin of Species.....we keep helping morons perpetuate their own selves.....

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Most all cars today have auto lights, which sense the level of daylight and turn on the beams as needed. The headlight switches have an "auto" setting, that will do just what you want (when it's dark out) if you leave it in that position. The switches also have (at least the cars I've been in) a manual setting that lets you turn the lights off or on for special situations. This is the best solution, imo -- default action is to turn lights on when it's dark, but you still have the option to control it manually as needed.

I don't at all like the idea of always running headlights on, even in daylight. It's wasteful, shortens life of the lamps, wastes energy. Just ask drivers of electric vehicles if they want their headlights always on, sucking down their limited battery life.

TeleTucson likes this.

13. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yes indeed. Law.

But again, it is not enforced. The HOV lane is not enforced here either.

Obsessed likes this.

14. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    None of that matters, because someone with their headlights off almost hit him last night.

Scooter91 and Steve Holt like this.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm ready for a car that drives me home automatically. Of course I'd probably never be sober again.

thegeezer likes this.

16. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Okay, I've been living up here in the mountains with little travel over the last 20 years, so give it to me ... what is a HOV Lane. Wait, I'm going to have another glass of wine and contemplate what I need to learn in order to travel from state to state. I suppose that there is sales tax there too?

17. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    HOV = High Occupancy Vehicle

On the interstates in Nashville (24, 40, 65) the far left lane (aka “the fast lane”) is reserved for vehicles with two or more occupants, or for hybrid and electric vehicles... during rush hours only (7-9am, 4-6pm, week days). Again, it is not enforced, but the signs are there.

We do have a state sales tax, but no state income tax.

Obsessed likes this.

18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Having your headlights on implies that you're aware of your surroundings, and have at least a minimal concern for road safety.

Leave the lights on a manual switch - it only highlights those drivers who should be paying more attention.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    We all like what we like. Everyone has an opinion. Just be glad that unlike your idea, you won't have what I'm thinking right now forced upon you. Mind your beeswax. Headlights aren't too difficult.

Scooter91 likes this.

20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Excuse me counselor.....

Judge, may i approach the bench? thank you.

firstly, the original poster claims he is from Colorado.

We know that there are certain legalization laws in that
    state that permit a person to inhale certain medical substances
    for recreational use......... perhaps these people driving
    without their lights on at night were just JOY riding!

I have to ask, IS THAT A CRIME?

No further questions yer Honor.

Chud likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.