Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I have a challenge for you...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sconnie, Nov 9, 2017.

Do you want a switch for your car's headlights?

1. Yes, I'm an anachronism and I enjoy getting jump-starts from strangers

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. No, I prefer the roads to be as safe as possible at all times

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Leave me alone, if I want to endanger your life that's your problem!

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Present your best argument for having an on/off switch for the headlights on your car, I haven't heard any that satisfy me.

My $0.02:
    Lately I've seen a lot of people driving around in the dark (well past dusk...) without their lights on. If I was 5 seconds behind a particular left turn going home last night I would have been t-boned at 40mph by one of these (insert expletive here) folks. I can only assume that person was blissfully unaware their headlights were off, driving with their dash illuminated, oblivious to the fact that no one could see them.

The fact that manufacturers put an on/off switch on the most important nighttime driving safety feature is completely ludicrous to me. The half-way "parking lights" setting that only lights your dash is even worse. Streetlights illuminate the road for you, and your headlights illuminate you for everyone else.

Does anyone have a legitimate explanation for this? If it was my call, the ignition in the ON position would turn your low-beams on no matter what (also preventing you from accidentally leaving them on when you exit the car). Engine is running -> your lights are always on. You have an accessory setting for a reason: every other situation when the engine is off (go ahead and put your switch in this circuit.)

I know most new cars have some type of running light (however dim), but it seems many still don't.

Another vent to a bunch of folks I don't know, I'm excited for all the sarcasm and serious responses we might see here! At risk of sounding full of conviction, I doubt anyone can beat my argument. :twisted:

Happy almost weekend!

Slip Kid and dr_tom like this.

2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I'm camping or doing some other activity where I want the truck running (and the heat or a/c) on but don't want to shine the lights for whatever reason.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    It's a vehicle first and foremost, being visible at night is more important than "whatever reason."

Honda makes really nice portable generators that are more fuel efficient anyway. Nice try!

RomanS and sjruvolo like this.

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad you didn't get into an accident.
    I'd like to see the automatic high beam dimmer on all cars too.

sjruvolo, Modman68 and Sconnie like this.

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Sigh. Youth.

My truck has an inverter sometimes I need to run tools but don't need the lights on.

I drive my car on a racetrack. I don't need to have the headlights on for that.

I'm sorry you had a rough time.

1293, nojazzhere and TheGoodTexan like this.

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Huh? It's my car. I get to have the option of turning the lights off... so that I don't shine into my neighbors' bedroom when I'm pulling into my driveway. Or if I pull into the convenience store parking lot at night, and let my wife run in to grab something, but I don't want to shine my lights into the store windows the whole time, blinding myself. Or if I'm head-to-head with another car in a parking lot at night, and I'm about to leave, but I forgot something in the trunk, so I get out to look in the trunk... I turn my lights off so that I don't blind them the entire time.

No one gets to tell keep me from turning my lights off when I want to.

What if I want to warn on coming cars that the need to be cautious as they top the oncoming hill? Flip my lights on/off a few times... or flip them to normal/bright a few times? Which one is more dangerous and annoying.

It's a vehicle first and foremost... one which serves many purposes, and one doesn't have to be at the expense of another.

And please leave the thermostat in my house alone while you're at it.

1293, Nickadermis, moosie and 5 others like this.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    On my BMW, the lights are on when I turn them on. On my Silverado, they come on automatically. I turn them off as soon as I remember, unless it's dark or raining (it's the law here in MN). On my Harleys, they are always on, again, because it's the law and I also like it that way when on 2 wheels. On my new Chrysler 300S, they just seem to know what to do. That's fine with me.

8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Headlights have two basic functions: to see, and to be seen. Use accordingly.

9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Yesterday was a good example. My car decided it wasn't dark enough to be auto on so I had to turn them on in the rain.

I do, however, think they should turn on when wipers are active.

The auxiliary lighting idea is nice too. Or reliving glory years of sneaking girlfriends out for the night, you need to be able to switch off.

Also, if I am going to work at night I turn them on after pulling out so I am not spotlighting my poor daughter trying to sleep.

dented, nojazzhere and TheGoodTexan like this.

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    In the late 1980s, I walked out into my dad's shop to find one of his employees working on his own car (IROC Z). I asked him what he was doing, and he went on to explain that he was installing a relay that would shut down all lights in his car with the flick of one switch... head lights, tail lights, brake lights, even dash lights. Why? For times that he's running from the cops at night, of course.

11. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Employees get to make them and employees get to install them. mechanics get to replace them... it's about jobs.

studio likes this.

12. teleamp

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Plus, when I am driving in foggy weather, I turn my headlights off and use my fog lights. I also do this when driving behind midget cars.

13. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

have you ever seen The World According to Garp? Headlight switches are a must have.

trouserpress, studio and nojazzhere like this.

14. teleamp

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Eat your ice cream...

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    What about when you need to have heater on at the drive-in movie?...everyone still goes to drive-ins, right?

16. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    NO! Haven't you heard of Block Buster?

17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    All the things you've listed are much less important (minor inconveniences at most) than being seen when you're driving down the road. That's all my point is. You don't seem to be, but I'd bet you'll agree that a lot of people are dumb and unobservant and can put other people in danger because of that. Haven't you had a close call because of some hack with their lights off? It's much scarier than slightly bothering someone else who is parked in a lot while you're also parked.

For some reason, I cannot have my fog lights on without my low-beams on too, so they're not really fog lights are they? :lol: Also, you sound like the most considerate large vehicle driver ever, no one does that for me in my little subie.

Hey now, don't disparage me for being younger and I won't do the same on account of your age!

Once again, what you've listed is secondary to ensuring everyone safety on the road!

This is where it falls apart, stupid people are allowed to have cars too :lol:

mitchfinck likes this.

18. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    (golf clap)
    I'm dying over here...

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    It seems to me that I've rented cars in Canada and headlights were ALWAYS on. I thought it was the law...

Sconnie likes this.

20. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    By the way, have you seen our thread on parenting?

telemnemonics, studio and nojazzhere like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.