Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

i HATE sawing fret slots.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Oct 15, 2017.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sounds like you have the wrong saw. I found my fret saw on eBay and it's solid. It looks like the same one stewmac sells and was a lot less $$$. I found the LMII template for half price. I made a miter box to fit the depth stop and the template and I can get the job done in 20 minutes. If I'm going to do a scratch build then I'm all in and to me that's the fun part of it. Besides, if you build a one piece neck you need some or all of the above.

Newbcaster likes this.

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I wrung my hands over buying a stew Mac fret saw over going the cheap route.

Haven't regretted buying the fret saw. It took me a day to build a cheap mitre box from scrap. I can do a fret board in about 10 minutes.

I'm actually going to make a v3.0 version of my mitre box and add magnets on the cross bar to keep the saw aligned.

R. Stratenstein and Newbcaster like this.

3. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    This x1000. The ONLY issue I have with them is that they won't radius their roasted maple boards. Otherwise, their upcharge is nothing, so it's worth anyone's time, IMO.

4. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    I've seen tat in a video of the Gibson factory. Very cool idea.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Stewmac sells slotted fretboards.

6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    LOL just buy a slotted fingerboard from Stewmac. that's what I use on all my repalcements. Msaking one is not worth the labor.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    so I bought a fret saw. im ashamed i didnt buy one sooner. not even 10 minutes a board. sheesh.

guitarbuilder likes this.

8. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

LOL!

Meh. Live and learn.

Newbcaster likes this.

9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    Here's the system I use... fret saw from Stew-Mac, and the jig I made myself, using height adjustable ball bearings for guides. A bit crude, but it works quite well. I get very consistent slot depths. A board takes me about a half-hour to do.

[​IMG]

10. Ayrton

Ayrton TDPRI Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia

11. The thread should be titled "Does Anybody Else Hate Sawing Fret Slots?"

Newbcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.