Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I Hate Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tap4154, Mar 1, 2017.

1. oblipma

oblipma TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    panama
    Make a board and always leave it plugged....make a master plug that feeds all the rest...

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Daisy

Daisy who?

Daisy me rollin'. Dey hatin'

Tremade likes this.

3. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Picked a great forum to post this. Or do forums distract you, too?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I posted it in Bad Dog, the mods moved it here.

6. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I have never used a pedal that did not make my guitar sound bad.

7. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hah! How ironic.

8. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Richmond, TX
    I love pedals its fun to stomp on them while playing, I have a pedal board with Voodoo power supply so hook up is easy.
    Straight into amp is good but for gigs I need more sounds so pedals make it easy to change the sounds I need for cover
    songs.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

9. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    I hate pedals, too. That's why I ride my motorcycles instead of my exercise bike.:D:eek:o_O

bob mason and awasson like this.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, well I have never played a guitar that didn't make me sound bad!!, er, wait.....

11. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    I don't think you could sound bad, if you tried. :)

My wife wants me to learn to play the guitar from "I ran" by Flock of Seagulls.o_O
    I explained to her that it would require two things I don't have-pedals and talent.:eek:
    Especially, talent.:oops:

4pickupguy likes this.

12. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Thank the Force for folks like this.
    How else would I be able to buy barely-used pedals dirt cheap?
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

beyer160, Omiewise65, sockgtr and 2 others like this.

13. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    Tell me more about where to buy barely-used pedals dirt cheap. All I find are new ones with price tags that make me nauseous.
    Once I get the pedals, I just have to work on the whole talent thing.
    Seriously, I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to pay top dollar for brand new pedals.

14. Boogie

Boogie Tele-Meister

Not a pedal guy, except for a the 2-button switch for my amp's trem and reverb and an occasional wah. I don't need anything else and I don't feel limited in any way; quite the contrary in fact. I don't like the thought of having to rely on a little box to get "my sound". I don't like a bunch of extraneous crap at my feet when I'm onstage. I don't like dealing with a bunch of extra cables and power supplies, etc. Don't need another thing to carry around, set up and tear down, troubleshoot, etc. There's so much tonal versatility to be had just by using picking dynamics along with the volume, tone and pickup controls on the guitar, choosing where to pick the strings, etc. The best dirt tone I've ever heard comes from a pair of cranked-up 6V6s. Too loud? An attenuator solves that nicely.

I saw a guy in a club last weekend with one of those new silverface custom deluxes and a nice 2-humbucker tele. He plugged in and hit a few chords and I thought he sounded real nice, but then he kicked on a dirt pedal and stunk the whole thing up. He used 2-3 dirt pedals over the course of his set which all sounded like ass. He wasn't a bad player, but used his pedals as a crutch. This was just a recent example; I've seen dozens of guys just like him. That's not to say that everyone who uses pedals is like this guy, but it seems like there are more guys like him than guys who use them sparingly, tastefully and get great tones out of them.

Route67 likes this.

15. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    I played a Relay For Life gig a few years ago where EVERYBODY had a canopy or roof over them, except, you guessed it... The bands.
    There was a delay, and although I tried to cover them, everything got too hot and my pedals wouldn't work.
    No choice but to plug my Tele straight in to my Blues Junior... Best tone I'd had in years! :cool:

Tootle, Omiewise65 and Route67 like this.

16. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    Sweet. Ok. I see. Sounds good. To each his own. Excellent.

awasson likes this.

17. Mikecito

Mikecito TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    I hate pedals in the pedal forum. Seven pages. Well played sir.

18. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well thanks for clearing that up... as you can imagine the guys were wondering.

19. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    a nice looking pedal board there, inspirational. I think that I've found the prototype in your post , thanks.

20. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Cucumbers and watermelon really disagree with me. I have grown to like the taste but my lower G.I. track keeps voting no.
    So, I just don't eat them and avoid the problem.
    Now you might ask what does a cucumber have to do with a humbucker from hell pickup or a watermelon with a Unicorn ltd. bat-winged hamburger snatcher oblivion pedal. Hmmmm ?
    They share one key point in common, CHOICE, I am afforded the option involving having a choice or at least the illusion of having a choice.

fortj3 likes this.

21. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    yeah, but didn't Jimi use slight of hand and magic mirrors as well?

fortj3 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.