Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Hate Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tap4154, Mar 1, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I don't play out and use power supplies : ON/OFF, simple, not playing out ,theres no need for tap dancing my way into a purple haze so I always set them up at waste level where god intended them to be prior to the sin of foot switches.
    As a person that make noise I have some very cool boxes that are analog, hand wired and don't sound like grandpa's fuzz face. There is a company that make the MEGA -SUPER terrific dirt box beyond description
    It's the WMD Geiger Counter sound can be scrampled and pan fried by at least 256 different wave forms the proplem is there are no memory spaces to save presets and the little monster is very sensitive when it comes to dialing in specific sounds. Which allows for great nuance, but it can be problematic to get the same garbage disposal sound twice.what would the world of guitar be without pedals and electricity?
    Julian Bream, Andres Sagovia , Manitas de Plata, Son House.

Staypuft1652 and JustABluesGuy like this.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Exactly. The Edge creates great music by using a much broader palette than most guitarists. Saying that pedals are bad is like saying that painters should use only one type of brush and oil paints.

a_pidgeon, awasson and Tremade like this.

3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Pedals do the opposite for me. USually i have "A sound" i am trying to utilize. Pedals help me with that. If I turn on my amp, I have my clean pristine tone. 1 pedal adds a boost. 2 pedals adds grit. another pedal ads Distortion. Reverb on another pedal. Delay on another pedal.

It is all on-off. I do not have to mess with knobs, balance out volumes. the pedals stay in front of my amp on a board. they are daisy chained into a 9v wall outlet.

It HELPS me sit down and just play. I dont have to dial any more. But thats just me. everyone has their style and preferences.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

4. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Unless you are using some OLD school boss pedals, most pedals will be 9v center positive.

Some overdrive pedals will be rated 9v-12v or 9v-18v THose CAN but do not need, take more voltage than 9v.

If you have some 18v pedals, or some AC pedals, they make power supplies that can power those things, and multiple standard 9v pedals. Look up Voodoolabs pedal power. Pedal TRain pedal power. T-Rex Fuel tank. etc etc

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I love pedals...but I am cautious to not over-use or over-process my signal. Even though I have a well-equipped board with quite a few effects, players have commented that my tone is very organic sounding.

[​IMG]

RevBillyG likes this.

6. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    I totally agree. Some painters will use one technique and others may use one other. Some painters will use different techniques, depending on what they want to achieve. I think it would be boring if all guitarist forever just used a guitar straight into an amp. Even more boring if nothing new would have been developed since say the 50's. Every guitarist would plug a tele or a les paul into a tweed and there'd be nothing else.

I think that's one of the amazing things with music, that people have used different tools to create different music for thousands of years. There's so many aspects and dimensions in your musical creativity you can use.

Edit: Btw, I like what The Edge does. I also like Bill Bailey and that clip!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Anode100 likes this.

7. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    "I hate pedals"

Uh, and yet you're here on the sub forum dedicated to pedals. Hmm, maybe I'd better hop on over to the Strat forum and express my hatred for strats (I don't actually hate them, but you get the point I'm sure).

RetroTeleRod and MilwMark like this.

8. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Even better, go to the Tele side of... TELECASTER DISCUSSION PAGE... and say you hate Tele's.

That would be an interesting funeral.

hongaku and RetroTeleRod like this.

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    The Edge demonstrated his sound on one of their tunes with and then without effects on "It Might Get Loud", the film with him, Jimmy Page and Jack White. It's a pretty dramatic demonstration. I've always thought he must have a really good sense of timing to be able to deal with so much cascading delay in the mix.

10. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    Yeah, with those delays he needs timing. And not only him, the whole band (especially bass and drums) needs to keep to those timings. They can't drift much.

I'll look that film up! And of course Bill Bailey is exaggerating a tonne to make comedy.

awasson and RetroTeleRod like this.

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, if you haven't seen it, it's a pretty good film. Three guitarists talking shop and how they got their start in music. I haven't seen it for a while but as I recall, the Edge has a barge moored somewhere with a studio of sorts where he has a massive rack of effects. He heads down there and basically creates soundscapes that become the foundation of whatever song he's working on. If it were me, there would be a lot of note taking and photographing settings so I could recreate whatever sound I stumbled upon.

Tremade likes this.

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    To be fair, he started this thread in the Bad Dog Café, where such topics are fine. The mods moved the thread to the Stomp Box forum.

tap4154 and RetroTeleRod like this.

13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I guess they didn't actually read the contents of the post - just saw the word "pedals," and also ignored the words "I hate" before it! o_O

...Or maybe it was a test? Like injecting Michael Moore into the middle of CPAC, and seeing what happens? :twisted:

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Lets start a "I Hate Music" thread here and see if it gets moved the "Music to Your Ears" sub-forum....

15. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    The guys that inspired me to play used pedals. So... I use pedals. Jimmy, Stevie, Trower, Santana...

I hate channel switching amps, that's what I hate. Maybe nowadays they've figured out how to go from clean to crunch without blowing a speaker, but I've learned how to do it with pedals & I don't care to "figure it out" again.

I gotta have my wah... at least one OD... & my volume knob. That's the way it's. Supposed to be.

Staypuft1652 and RetroTeleRod like this.

16. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    But yeah... if you couldn't figure out the battery thing, it's probably best you keep it simple.

Georox and MilwMark like this.

17. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    In that case I apologize somewhat for my harsh words...

tap4154 likes this.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Or you could say those words into a mic run through The Edge's pedal board and they'd come out as indecipherable mush :lol:

JUST KIDDING!

Yes, the thread was not started here BUT it did stir conversation, right?

19. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Or give them to me.

20. oblipma

oblipma TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    panama
    Feel free to send me your pedals
    I would love to experiment with some
    The most i ever had was a g2x xoxoxo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.