Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate it when I have to get tough with someone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    The place I was at the other day is forever sending me mail begging me to trade in my "very in demand 2004 Durango." I drove it in there one day and after they saw the rust and baseball sized hail damage (runs good , but it ain't pretty) they didn't want to give me much at all on trade-in, the bastidges!

2. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

My car has a manufacturer recommended 6,000 mile oil and filter change interval . I took it to an oil change place where I was informed that the manufacturer recommends a 3,000 oil change interval, and he showed me some sort of book that said it was 3,000 miles. I showed him the car owner's book that said 6,000 miles; he said something about severe service, I read him the section in the car owner's book that defined severe service, I told him that I don't tow a trailer and that it's not a taxi. He tried telling me that hiway driving is severe service, I told him that I wasn't buying it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Totally feel your frustration. My situation was a tad different, but still, we have a mazda with 60,000 miles on it. It is not warrantied anymore but every time it gets in the dealer for an oil change, I come out broke.

We took it to the dealer (my first and hopefully final mistake) recently to have the electric window motor repaired. When it came out I was $2500 poorer for 5 different services that should never happen to a vehicle with only 60,000 miles!

The dealer is a certified rapist. It's just a fact. They dangle the cheapo oil change in front of you, the crappy coffee, the warm welcome, the car wash, the door to door dropoff service and then they completely maul you.

If I could only find that one, reputable, old time garage man, who is fair and honest and only does what's required. Those folks are getting harder and harder to come by.

My next vehicle will be a lease, and the dealer can pay for everything. It's just not worth it anymore.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Car dealers and the public. A Vicious circle. I am 63 and every car I have bought from a dealership has usually been some kind of uncomfortable experience. Especially when you are shopping. Car dealerships take a certain type of behavior to be successful. ANd here is the key, if you did not have an uncomfortable experience, you probably paid full boat. You can't even be friends with your salesman cause the management is so far up his arse. Exhaust you, clip you. Exhaust you, clip you. I imagine all these internet buying schemes on cars really drain your pocketbook as you smile cause you were ,"treated right" But please stop and remember. WE need this system to con and kajol people into buying, buying and buy new. If it ever stops, your life will stop.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I got the run around from my Honda dealer who thinks if I drive by his place out on the roadway, he should send me a bill for something. The contrast in my wife's Chevy dealer's attitude is amazing. She saw that sticker date on her car's windshield said the oil needed changing. She doesn't drive the car very much but decided to take it in for an oil change. When she drove into the bay, the guy hits the button that brings up the percent to change oil, and said, lady you don't need an oil change showed her how to check the remaining percent of oil to oil change and sent her on her way.

I'm on a mission to find a good reputable independent car repair shop, but I'm not sure they exist anymore. My first foray into having something done did not go well, but I didn't expect too much, so I wasn't too disappointed. I have found a place to have my oil changed that doesn't charge 50 dollars to change an air filter. I love my little CRV, but I don't know if I could deal with having to go to a Honda dealer again to buy one. My sister in law bought a new CRV yesterday in Arkansas I'm interested to see how she's treated there AFTER the sale.

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    Home warranties. In many cases, basically just coupon books for local services. It's very rare that they actually cover a repair.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I was thinking about this thread all weekend. On Friday I had to get tough with customer service manager at the Toyota dealer where I bought my Tacoma in May. It didn’t have to be that way. The situation could have been handled much easier. But just as the warden said about Lucas Jackson, “That’s they way he wants it, well, he gets it.”

8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    A few months ago, I took my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker with 19k miles in for an oil change. My service advisor told me a rear differential fluid change was recommended at 16k. I was suspicious, but I okayed it like an idiot. Then I poked around on the net and quickly became convinced that I was scammed. Less than minutes after dropping it off, I called to have it cancelled. After at least 10 minutes on hold, I finally talked to the service guy (or, more likely, the mechanic) and he said it was already done. I told him I thought I was scammed.

And it gets better.

An hour or so later, my service advisor called me to tell me my car was ready, and I repeated my complaint. The line went dead. A few minutes later, he called me back and told me when they were taking my car to the service bay (after I stupidly approved the rear differential oil change), they heard a noise coming from the rear of my car. They checked and there were three bolts missing from my drive train. They mentioned that I had my transmission replaced (a month and a half after I bought the car), and that they would have to charge me for a repair if they performed it because it was a "workmanship issue" with the other dealership.

I strongly expressed my displeasure to the service advisor and him know that, if they charged me for the rear differential fluid change, I would be sharing what happened with the world for free, and I proceeded to list what sectors would be included in this info share. I also told them that this "recommended" change wasn't in the manual and it was nowhere online. They said it was "dealer recommended." I said, yeah, some guy I found online was told it was "recommended" at 35K for his Challenger, and he couldn't find a source for that either. When I got to the dealership, I wanted them to show me the document containing this "recommendation." I didn't raise my voice, but I certainly wasn't warm and fuzzy.

[And, yeah, I shouldn't have fallen for it. They tried to sell me tires on my last visit, and I said, "No thanks" and checked the treadwear myself. I did need new tires, but it was not as urgent as portrayed.]

When I got to the dealer, nothing was said. They just told me that I owed them X, which was the cost of the oil change minus 10%, leaving unspoken the fact that they were not charging me for the rear differential fluid change.I tell them to fix the bolts on my drive train. I was going to ask them if it was safe to drive with three missing bolts, then wait for them to tell me I needed to take it to the other dealership if I wanted this problem fixed free of charge. But, by this point, I'm a bit relieved, but still very tense and I just want to get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.

When they're finally done, they say they only have to charge me for one bolt (I'm thinking they shouldn't be charging me for any bolt), because the guys in the shop found two bolts they already had. I asked them how many bolts the drive train uses. They say six. I'm thinking, I had three of the six bolts missing? Really? If it was making noise, it wasn't that much. But, once again, I just want to get the hell out of there.

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    There are numerous situations where company practice is to first try to maximize the charge to the consumer, then to try to pitch some disadvantageous compromise, and in whatever other ways possible deliver as little actual-cost value and service as possible. More and more, I find it necessary to do as you did. I used to think of this as me being a nasty pain in the butt, but then realized that I had paid for what I was asking, and they had my money, and were not living up to their end of things. Companies do use our dislike of being confrontational as a method to avoid expenses such as doing the service work they obviously owe you. I'm sorry you are being treated so disrespectfully and dishonestly.

10. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    I have heard these stories my whole life. My grandparents and parents have similar tales from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s about being screwed by new car dealer service departments. (I've never had a new car.)

How does this keep happening generation after generation?

How do the people in the industry sleep at night?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
  12. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
    I've got the perfect shop for you...ASE Certified Master Tech, small shop, does excellent work, amazingly fair prices..but he's in Pismo Beach :(

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I have a simple way to handle these situations.

I go to the highest ranking manager I can find, and say, "Here's our problem: _______________. Now, you can deal with me, and we'll both walk away happy, or you can deal with my wife, and you'll be explaining to your boss why we walked out of here with something you really don't have authorization to give us."

I'll then point to my sweet and lovely little wife, who will smile demurely (like a cat who just ate the canary). 90% of the time, they do exactly what I asked.

My lovely wife would scare Ghengis Khan.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    P Thought, TheGoodTexan and don71 like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I can't afford to move over there, but it might be worth it in the end! :)

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  15. CleanBoostCasey

CleanBoostCasey TDPRI Member

Jul 30, 2018
    USA
    Had an 06 Frontier. Was getting to cost too much in gas to drive to work. Traded it in on a used 07 Civic with 84,000 miles. At a FORD dealer. That Civic now has 228K miles on it. Only thing I’ve replaced is tires and a windshield. Have had all the oil changes done at the Ford dealer where I got it. They used to be $23, but over the years have come up to $30.

Point is, I traded one brand of Japanese car in for another used Japanese car at a Ford dealer. They change the oil. They don’t rip me off. But I have walked out of other dealerships over a few hundred dollars. Just gotta find the right guys.

C

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm thinking of talking to my Chevy dealer that my wife takes her car to. I don't know if they would even service my Honda, but I sure like going to the Chevy place. I probably should just buy another Chevy but I like the CRV, and I have less than 50,000 miles on it.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'd rather set my car on fire, than take it to the dealer for service.

We have a guy who's been servicing all our vehicles for nearly 30 years now. His photo should be in the dictionary next to 'integrity'. And now his son is his business partner, and he's every bit as good.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I service my own vehicles, machines etc. I do them at twice the recommended mileage and have never had any mechanical problems with my vehicles. When I was around 21yo I had trade valuation done on a new car I was interested in. The salesman and sidekicks refused to give me my car keys or car back, wanted me to sign finance on the spot and said my car had been taken to another yard. Basically telling me because I had test drove the new car I was bound to purchase it. Bad move, after screaming the place down and threatening to destroy his office he gave me my car keys back and the car was brought around from the back. He's lucky I didn't follow him home and destroy his car, property etc.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

These stories all touch nerves for all of us because of the high place we have given to the "iron horse" in our culture, the fact that in business money makes the world go 'round, and the fact that most of us need our money for things besides spinning the car dealers' world. Technology has taken our cars 'way past the point where most of us can diagnose or repair our own vehicles.

A couple of personal responses:

--When we bought our truck we were away from home with our trailer, stuck.
    The dealer kept us waiting until almost closing time while they "serviced" the new truck, then slickered in the "extended warranty" package. I complained a little, but I was tired and wanted to go home. . .it paid for itself several times over as one by one we replaced every part on the diesel exhaust fluid system, which was new in that model year. The warranty's expired now, but we haven't had any trouble lately.

--They tried hard to move us off the "plain jane" truck we liked--it was the one in their ads--to the ones with about $20,000 more in paintjobs, fancy dashboards, and heated seats, and they were unhappy when my wife stopped the in-house financing process and called her credit union.

--The local service manager was snotty at first about our having bought the truck out of town and then bringing it in for warranty work. My previous life in the advertising business helped me there, I'm pretty sure, because I'd known the dealer himself--and all the others in town--for 20 years or so, and he stopped to chat a moment when he saw me. Also several former students of mine now work in the service department, in parts, in the bays, and at the counter. They treat me pretty well now, though they still get their money for things I need, mainly oil changes. Still now and then there's a new "service writer" who comes to me in the waiting room with a list of things they've "noticed". . . . I always thank him and tell him I'll think about it.

--Outside of warranty stuff, for 30 years I took my cars to Dave, who ran a radiator shop and repair service in town. Dave charged by "the book" for service: if the book said 1.5 hours you paid that, whether the job took him 20 minutes or 12 hours, and you knew ahead of time what the job was going to cost. He never made up stuff, and he'd tell me when a job was something I needed to take to the dealer; that happened a couple times with my wife's Jeep. Last year Dave retired. I miss him, but on his recommendation I've gone twice already to Randy, another mechanic in town, who I happened also to know from my time in the advertising business.

--Our truck's behaving very well now, which is good because that extended warranty has expired. It's finally paid off, and I hope to keep it until I can't find it any more, or see to drive it. No more new vehicles for me.

20. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    South Hemi GMT+12
    (Let's bump this thread shall we?)

Glad you did move away form the "plane jane" truck, and went for one with the fancy paint job!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.