I hate it when I have to get tough with someone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I have always owned Tacos on my 3rd one ..I have one more payment and she is paid for...we are looking at a Subaru Forester for the wife. Only Nissan I have owned was 78 280Z I loved that car..My buddy has a newer Titan and he has had some issues with it. I think he is ready to come over to a Taco.

2. cvaughn927

cvaughn927 TDPRI Member

I actually came out on the winning side of an 'upsell' once. Took my daughter's VW Beetle convertible to a local oil change specialty house. Now, having been there before, I knew what I was in for regarding them upselling and finding other 'problems' with the car.

Technician: You know, one of those driving (fog) lights is burned out. We can replace that for you.
    Me: Oh yeah? How much?
    Technician: 20$
    Me: Does that include the price of the bulb?
    Technician: Yes sir!

Backstory time: my daughter had complained about that light being out for weeks. I had looked at the car and it appeared that bulb was going to be a royal pain to replace simply due to location. I had no desire to jam my body parts in places that weren't designed for body parts.

Me: Have at it!

Well, I sat around and watched two technicians take an hour to get that bulb replaced - relishing every minute.

Technician: Man, that bulb was super hard to get to.
    Me: Yeah, you probably didn't make a lot of money on that one, huh?
    Technician: Yeah, probably not.

Felt like I won one for the little man that day.

Piggy Stu and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

"You do know what happens when you return a meal at a restaurant if something isn't quite right don't you?"

Aint that the truth. I went to lunch at a new place. Right away I found a finger from a yellow rubber glove cooked into the meal. Thankfully I found it right away. They tried to say it was cheese and when its cooked it looks that way. I don't think there is any way that you can cook cheese to make it take the shape of a finger from a rubber glove, including the little grippy bumps. And no I didn't want another plate, I left and have never been back.

The last car we bought the dealer put our plates on another vehicle and that owner refused to bring them back. I was about to have to get ugly with them. On a truck i bought, the dealer charged me for new tags. A couple of week later I got pulled over for expired tags. A call to the dmv and I found they just got a $5 replacement sticker and stuck on it instead of renewing the tags for a year. I gave them an hour to have my refund ready to pick up or I was going to give the local news something to investigate.

Nobody touches my vehicles to maintain or fix them. I'm sure we can all go on and on about dealer horror stories.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Did your wife advise/remind them that it was under that warranty when she took it in for service?

My bet is that the recommendations would have been different if they had been aware up front that they were responsible for any repairs.

As others have noted, that is an awful lot of periodic maintenance for a car with only 50,000 miles.

It looks like the Fair Business Practices Act is codified in TN under the Tenn. Consumer Protection Act.

You might be able to do some research and find out if any particular consumer protection attorneys have torn into that dealer. Then, if they give you problems, you can ask, "Am I going to have to hire Joe Attorney to sue you again? You know he has educated you on the law a number of times in the past."

https://pocketsense.com/used-car-sales-laws-tennessee-7892911.html

https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe in the UK.

Not in Japan. Not in Germany. Not in Canada/USA/Mexico either.

Unless you count many North American design/assemble cars "being defective" because they have so little soul or spirit.

No comment about S. Korea or France.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter's CVT transmission in her 2013 Sentra was given up for dead at 3 1/2 years. Torque converter was kaput. Over $4,000 to replace it. The Nissan Service manager suggested we call Nissan Consumer Affairs which we did. They ended up replacing it for a $250 deductible.

As to the OP, sometimes you have to stand up. It doesn't alway work out as well as it did for you as some are easily intimidated or worn down. Plus, it always seems that everything is stacked against the consumer, particularly nowadays.

Although my daughters car was ok, I ended up giving her my 2013 Altima when I bought my new CRV (we actually traded cars and I used her Sentra as a trade in). My Altima had only 2/3 the miles of her Sentra and is much better equipped.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just thinking about how, when a Burglary Ring is broken up, the authorities go to where all the stolen property is and do their best (mostly) to reunite the stolen items with their rightful owners.

Why, when a part fails like this on a car that's going to be associated with the dereliction of the manufacturer or his supplier, does the brand not have an affirmative duty to advise all their dealers that they'll be replacing the bad component at the manufacturer's cost? If we have to torture and mug the dealer and manufacturer to get them to do something they ought to know they need to do anyway, that's a shame. You don't back down and I usually didn't back down but ordinary people seem to just accept being screwed - this is just the law of the jungle and this is just rotten.

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/most-common-faults-new-cars/

I was using some old stat now I think about it. Most recent report above more like 17%

Loads of cars have major errors in them from factory. My dad still takes work on from local dealers correcting freshly delivered stuff

It isn't as bad as the 70s but the idea of a new car makes me queasy. Running in/depreciation/etc. The illusion of a new car being perfect is one a lot of people got disabused of

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Dealers, I’m not a fan. My Honda dealer, locally owned, was great to deal with, then it sold to a company based in another state. What a change, high pressure sales, up sell tactics every time you get a service and constant emails and calls trying to get you to trade in. I will never buy another car from them.

william tele and Piggy Stu like this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I presume Honda UK to have different oversight but I also had no end of grief with Honda dealers

Pity really as I think they make great vehicles. Maybe the problem is the cars and bikes are so reliable they feel they need to squeeze the work they do get in

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

You have to research dealerships just like car brands. I have nothing but good things to say about Subaru of Kennesaw, we've bought three car from them and they treat us like we have.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

You'll love this...

We have a 2005 Pathfinder, bought new after Katrina claimed one of our vehicles. All Pathfinders and Frontiers from 2005-2010 were built with faulty transmission fluid cooling lines going through the radiator that cracked open. They began to fail in the early 201x's. Ours was one of them. Basically, the transmission fluid and coolant got mixed into one solution occupying both components. Not a good thing.

Nissan knew about it (hence the change of suppliers in 2010), in fact they had a dedicated webiste for people to get information about it. Did they replace the transmission and radiator at their cost??? No.

Instead, they had a co-pay plan: If you were under 85k miles you paid $3k and they paid $3k. If you were between 85k-100k miles I believe you paid $4k and they paid $2k. If you had over 100k miles, tough luck, buddy.

Absolutely ridiculous that this was not a situation with a formal recall. Of course, we had to sign away any right to any future class-action suit in order to get them to do the repair/replacement. Years later, I still can't quite wrap my head around the whole experience.

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

My new hero.

15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

. . . and that's why we call them "stealerships."

I always try to find a good independent garage around me somewhere. I avoid the chains like Firestone (WORSE than a dealership) and Pep Boys almost as religiously as I do dealerships, although I have had one or two good experiences at Pep Boys. But also had bad.

Currently been taking our Honda to a local small chain. They look pretty fancy, with a "reception room," waiting area, and lots of perks like taking you where you need to go after you drop your car and coming to pick you up when it's ready. Frankly, a little too much personnel overhead for me to be completely comfortable, but so far on routine stuff they seem really reasonable, and I haven't experienced any add-on syndrome yet. Feel pretty lucky so far.

16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

A year ago, my wife called the local roofer. Big heavy set guy--the owner--walked the perimeter of the house with my wife and pointed out all the faults. He said it had to be replaced immediately or we were going to get water damage and mold. He started naming our neighbors whose roofs he replaced. She called another company for a second opinion. They sent out some kid in his 20s--not the owner--who climbed up and stayed on the roof for a long time. My wife was afraid that he misunderstood and was working on the roof instead of just preparing an estimate.

When he finally came down, he said, "Lady, your roof will last another 5 or 6 years." He said that there was some loose pieces but he fixed them no charge. We had a lot of snow this winter, roof held fine. I wonder if the kid played upright bass.

FenderLover likes this.
  17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

There are good dealers, and there are bad dealers, both of new and used cars.
    New car dealers are particularly guilty of trying to force you to do expensive work, that does not need to be done.
    If you don't want to treated like an *******, don't act like an *******.
    Good on you.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I have no trouble saying No to service that I know can wait, but if they call I'd say that I already traded at another dealership. If they ask if their service was unsatisfactory, I'd say dealers are all about the same, except this one doesn't call me all the time.

19. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

where did this car come from? sounds suspiciously like a flood car... hurricane Harvey?

20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I had the local Toyota dealer refuse to perform recall service because we were 3 days over the time limit to request it. The local Honda dealer refusused to perform free service on a transmission that has had over 30 thousand complaints over a three or four year period. No business for either of them. Ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.