Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate it when I have to get tough with someone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 4, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    We bought my wife a "Certified Pre-Owned" 2012 Nissan Altima from a local Nissan dealer in August last year. My wife wanted it bad. It appeared mint, and only had 40k miles on it. We test drove it before it was "certified" then waited two days for the certification process before we purchased it. Part of that process includes a warranty to the 100,000th mile.

Upon the first oil change, the service manager reports to us "You need a complete transmission fluid flush. This transmission has been run into the ground. What have you guys been doing with it?" When I told him that we purchased it from him (the dealer) three months ago, as a "Certified Pre-Owned" he scrambled around and tried to play it off. Then he wanted to charge us $180 for the service. But I didn't stand for that, and I had to get tough and make them do it for free. I also got the Pre-Owned sales manager over there and talked about the legitimacy of their certification process.

My wife took the car in yesterday for another oil change. The service manager just called me - it needs... get this:

- Complete brake fluid system flush and exchange
    - Complete power steering system flush and exchange
    - Both C/V axles replaced
    - New rear shocks (both sides)

The car has less than 50k miles on it. Total charges? $1868.85.

Nope. No way. Ain't gone happen. That's a decision you gone hafta make. That's own you.

I had to go two levels up in the dealership to let them know I was serious. I didn't raise my voice. I didn't act rude. But I did have to get tough, saying, "Either you cover these costs completely, or you buy the car back for the purchase price. Period. If you don't have the authority to make that decision, please forward me to your boss."

I finally got a hold of a top-level guy that didn't have time to argue over $1900, and tossed me back down to the previous manager, all things being approved, with no charge to me, including the basic oil change. This guy was at a loss as to why anyone below him allowed it to get to his level. He said, "Your car is warrantied to 100k miles, and it's only got 50k on it. Of course we'll cover the repairs."

I know this is the way the world works, but its just such a waste of everybody's time.

(Disclaimer: No Nissan managers were harmed in the writing of this thread.)

2. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    Had something similar happen at my local stealership. They always try to "upsell" me during the oil change with some piddling crap. I always thank them for the info and check it myself, often times there's nothing wrong....

RedRock, kafka, jlove and 2 others like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I've experienced that at dealers too (I think we all have). But if that's the case on this Altima, then they just "upsold" themselves out of two grand worth of service and parts.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Sounds like a load of fertilizer to me. We own three nissan products and they've not required this level of fluid replacement. I know nissan has had some issues with the cvt trans in some models but really?

As a gear head I've heard industry people say that flushing fluids is worse on equipment than a simple drain and re-fill. Many opinions on that.

I know many business rely on up selling and you've got to be careful. I'm glad you didn't sit and take this one over the back side.

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Shoulda bought a Kia :cool:

rich815, Maricopa, 68tele and 6 others like this.
  6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    Yep, we've recently been in a similar situation. My girlfriend bought a super clean, "certified" one-owner 2014 Pathfinder after her Maxima was totaled, while parked, last fall. It's a Platinum, and had everything she wanted including heated/cooled seats and a steering wheel warmer. She's very slim and cold-natured, and these were features she grew to love in her Nissan sedan. Well, the Pathfinder had only 37,000 miles on it at the time of purchase and she sprung for the "extended service plan" which we were told would cover all the electronic gizmos on the car to 100k. Just like the powertrain warranty.

First thing to go out? The driver's seat heater. Not covered, estimate almost $1300. Thanks for nothing Nissan. I'll just get my local independent garage to fix it, for probably half that, as soon as I can swing it.

Oh, and to the OP, I hope your car doesn't have any CVT transmission issues. That was a barrel of fun all its own, with Ashley's previous car. Thank heaven for the extended warranty on those transmissions... Although Nissan should have just done a TSB and outright recall.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I've got half a mind to put the car up for sell when we get it back. It will never be worth more than it is right now.

8. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dealerships suck. I took my Silverado in because it was running rough. They charged me $500 bucks for one spark plug and one wire. I was livid. Two weeks later I got a letter from Chevy saying my truck was recalled for this very problem. So the dealership knew the whole time. I couldn't wait to run that notice up their a$$. I loved the look on the manager's face when he had to hand me a check.

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Grew up in family motor trade

I think working with chemicals and uncertainty makes it a peculiar trade with a concentration of a certain type of person in it

I always buy and sell private. I use a garage to do a lot of my work but because I drop it off and tell them exactly what I want doing there is no scope for me to be told that my xyz valve has deflaginated and needs quantum realignment

I always buy unfashionable quality old cars with low mileage for peanuts

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I recently got my snow tires swapped out at our KAL Tire branch. We've dealt with them for years. This time, they asked if I wanted a wheel alignment done if it needs it. I hesitated, but said okay.
    All that morning, I was expecting a phone call from them to say that the car did need a wheel alignment. I was very pleased when I picked up the car and they told me that it didn't need the alignment. They didn't gouge me after all.
    I was rather surprised.

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I do this rather often to get 6-month free trials of HBO from Comcast again and again and again :)

LocoTex and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I am mechanically inclined, but I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I know what everything does, but I have no idea how to test/replace things. Unfortunately, that means that I have to find someone I trust to work on our vehicles... which is not easy.

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    The city
    I worked on cars for a living. Power steering and brake fuid flush/change is a scam. They are closed systems that perform hydraulic functions. They don’t wear out or get dirty. If your cv joints/axles needed replacing, then that car must have somehow been aged 10 years. Cv joints wear out due to split or rotted boots. Not the signs of a “certified” used vehicle.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I had to get the zone rep in on the only new vehicle I ever had, it was in violation of federal emissions and the state lemon law and still under warranty, the tech and SM freely admitted they had no idea what to do but they attempted, to charge me 1k for "testing" as not being covered under warranty The ZR looked at the file, and said "you can have a new truck or your money back.."I took the money.

The inspection portion of the Certified Previous Owned Vehicle of Distinction program at most dealerships is a crock. I was once due for a raise in my parts counter days which, they seemed to have trouble covering, so I negotiated a demonstrator, which they insists be off the CPOVD lot. I chose a 2 year old car, off the inventor list from another location, when it arrived it had a unpainted bumper cover, cracked windshield, a leaky valve stem on the RR wheel and a alternator that was to have been replaced under a recall, + a big sticker, touting how it was good to go (cracked windshield is a inpection fail in this state) I made 'em fix everything, took it on vacation and came back & resigned. At least some one got a corrected car out of the deal.

As for the "pre purchase inspection" that many places advertise, not much better, it's basically a "courtesy " inspection that they charge you for. I know one place that does it for free and actually does a good job. Back in my BMW days I was between lifts and took a likely candidate to a well spoken of place that charged me $200 and gave me a "looks great"..with the exception of a burned out ashtray light. On the way home the shifting got a little nochy a failing motor mount, "oh sorry guess we missed that.."

Extended warranties cover everything until you make a claim, then everything is a "wear item"and not covered. I once had a friend buy one on a new VW they told her "every thing is covered " and then handed her the paper work with two pages of "wear items" that wouldn't be.

This is why I buy beaters and work on them myself, I grew up around garages and dealerships and while there are honest people most places, including most techs the bigger the place the more potential scammers their are, and they tend to get promoted for selling unneeded work.

What you are looking for is a guy or gal who is willing to tell you what needs to be done & what can wait, what the parts cost and will give you a couple of options if you have a older car or are on a tight budget, while explaning the advantages and disadvantages of each option. A good independent is worth his weight in gold.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  15. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Call me a sceptic, and perhaps USA customer service is 100% reliable, but, for your wife's sake, it might be worth getting it independently checked to make sure all that work was actually done?

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Can you believe my rotten luck? My flux capacitor has gone out on EVERY SINGLE CAR I'VE OWNED. More than once on some of them. Always the same garage. What are the chances?

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Dealership service departments answer to the same owners as the sales departments, and have the same expectations placed on them: Get as much money from as many people as you can.

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I bought a used SUV in 2006. The salesman recommended I get a warranty package with it. I'm usually really good about saying no, but for some reason it sounded appealing. It more than paid for itself though because I had to have a cam shaft seal replaced 3 times on it. It was the notorious 6 Liter Powerstroke engine, the one that made the older 7.3 Liter the most popular engine in the ford truck line up for years. Replacing a cam shaft seal requires pulling the engine, which requires taking the body off of the frame every time. So the money spent on that warranty was about 1/3 the cost of each repair. When it came time to renew the warranty the company refused to issue me a new one. So I sold the truck!

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Just saying 'the bushes on the rear swing arms sound noisy can you check them' identifies you as more confident and knowledgeable than 99% of the soft targets they scam. Just means they avoid you with nonsense stories a little more

If you have one of those Jesus fish stuck on your car you probably bring out the worst exploitation

Telecasterless and TheGoodTexan like this.
  20. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    I've worked in service before.

There are regular maintenance fluid exchanges at different mileage. Check your manual for when and what. The dealer will recommend what is due or coming up. Their goal is to have you get all your service on or before time(usage will also play into if you needs to do something sooner).

Maintenance is on the owner unless you're getting some free oil changes or bought some plan along with the car.

He can't really tell anything from their little check about the condition of your transmission. He shouldn't have said that unless it's been diagnosed with faults or someone who drove it noted something.

Certified means it passed the checks when it was sold. What happens after you drive out is another story. If they can prove or believe it has been abused, they will a lot of the time start denying claims.

They get scammed too by people who drive with the e brake on, run it with no oil, or otherwise don't want to own up to being idiots.

Ricky D. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.