I Hate / Dislike Mowing This Time Of The Year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, May 5, 2019.

1. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

1. The storm sewers are connected to the sanitary sewers in my old-ass neighborhood. I have my lines rotorooted every 6 months, and the they are clear 50 feet out into the road which leads us to #2.
    2. The sewers are completely destroyed and collapsed in the road.
    3. The City has reneged 3x in the past 5 years to redo the sewers on our street. Funds and promises are made, and it never happens.
    4. 2 years ago they repaved, but did not repair sewers as promised. They "ran out of money" according to the city guy overseeing it all out in the neighborhoods.
    5. After the 3rd time I got pinworms following the sewers backflowing into my basement during especially torrential downpours, my wife contacted the City.
    6. They put a camera down my lines and told me I was connected "illegally". All houses in my neighborhood are because it's so old, that's how they built it back then: "Combined sewers".
    7. They told us we could make a fuss about it, and it would prolly cost me 8-10K to have my downspouts re-routed properly to the storm intakes.
    8. But the storm intakes feed the busted combined sewer lines. So that wouldn't work, but if I complained further they "might enforce".
    9. Last weekend I was compelled to dose myself for pinworms for the 4th year running following some all too familiar, itching, burning, and wiggling sensations in my rectum (about a month after a "backflow event".)

Not too enamored with the City these days. And yeah, it's been a wet spring. And I hate mowing in it too.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Ouch. I will be in Kent this Friday to pick up "The Boy" for the summer. Remind me not to sit on the curb in front of your house. :lol::lol:

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

ROFL. Come on over. Let me show you my basement!

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep parts of my yard have been standing water all Winter. It has been extra wet this year. I can't even walk in some areas. I just hit the major over growth where I can't mow with a weed eater as best I can.

It may be well into June or later this year, before I can mow the whole thing.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

My yard is doing great this year. I've mowed four times. My yard currently has 4 inches of snow on it... Middle of May.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Mowing is like therapy for me. I have noise canceling headphones where I can listen to music or audio books. Back and forth.....chilling. I mowed about 8 lawns when I was a kid.....always liked it.

Saturday…..

[​IMG]

This is what we do in Wisconsin when it's really wet. Just mount an outboard boat motor on your mower. No problem!

[​IMG]

7. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm in the midst of a typical spring here, grass growing like crazy and lots of rain. I use a push mower for smaller areas and a rider for the open spots. The routine is trying to get the lawn cut when things dry out from the previous rain but before the next rains come. Lots of wet mowing or high grass mowing. But it's okay, later in the summer we'll have a drought and my lawn will start burning so it all evens out.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

As my old buddy Jack always said...

Mo' rain
    Mow grass

:lol:

9. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

My neighbor has a riding lawn mower but his lawn is pretty small. Waste of money.

10. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I have been using one of those old fashioned manual push mowers since I bought my house a couple of years ago. That's getting way too hard so I bought a cheap lawn mower from Wal-Mart today.

11. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

The new lawn mower I got worked great! I got the cheapest one they had at Wal-Mart because it said on the box that if it quit working within two years all I had to do is take it back to the place I bought it and it would be replaced free of charge. :)

12. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

My yard is relatively small, but still takes over an hour to mow with a self-propelled mower, not including weed-eating and sweeping. I need the exercise, so I only kick the self-propelling feature in going up hill. The worst part of mowing this time of year is knowing it'll have to be done every seven to ten days for the next four months.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

Words to live by.

14. unixfish

More rain, more standing water.

I have two mowers, both a bit older. One runs better, but the height adjusters are loose and I have to zip-tie them in place. The other cuts better, but it it a bit of a pain before it warms up. I just got a new blade for the one that cuts better.

I can afford a new mower, I just haven't yet. I sort of feel obligated to keep the old ones running until they are unreliable. My wife does not like listening to me curse at them, but that is half the fun.

I guess I'm just odd that way.

15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man, no end to the rain this year. Even one of my neighbors who've always managed to have a perfect yard, is getting their mower stuck and leaving huge ruts in their yard. I saw them standing by the mower they just pulled out of the ruts last night, looking all confused. I guess they've never paid attention to the many of us who have learned the hard way, or maybe there is no other way to learn but the hard way.

And large parts of my yard are still a swamp, with tons more rain coming next week.

16. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I mow 3 landscaped acres on a compact tractor with a cold Corona in the cup holder.
    It's good therapy and a change of pace from the daily routine. And I have the tractor rigged with additional LED lights so I can mow at night when the hot weather arrives. Sometimes, in Aug when it's 108 outside, I start mowing at 9 or 10pm. Takes me about 2 hours.

We've had 9" of rain in the past 30 days but my property is on a lake shore with descending terrain of sandy loam so it dries out quickly, usually in about 36 hours.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What is this word "mow" you speak of?

unixfish likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

So you'll probably be hitting loose nails with your mower for the next six months.

Boubou and Bassman8 like this.
  19. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

I’m afraid that you’re correct, but so far the crew has been pretty good about cleaning up. Here in the North East the rain has been relentless. It has made the roofing go very slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. unixfish

Lawn company fertilized yesterday. Joy. Not only is there still mud, it will now grow faster. At least it is showing signs of drying out.

I got the mower that is harder to start but cuts better all set up with a new blade. I am going out today for mow. I set the blade up to "summer height". 2.5 inches in sprint, 2.75 in summer. I will have to mulch since the grass was fertilized.

rcole_sooner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.