I Hate / Dislike Mowing This Time Of The Year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, May 5, 2019.

1. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Could do with some of your rain where I live, here on the Eastern side of rainy old England. We haven't had much rain at all in the last 12 months. The ground is rock hard and we've been watering plants for weeks. The first lawn mowing I did this year was on 25 February.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

You can have some of ours. But, I guess, between the two of us, on average, we are fine - right? :lol:

We've had dry years where everything burns out and goes brown. This is not one of those years for us.

3. unixfish

...at least not so far. I'm sure we will have an unusually dry summer to make up for our unusually wet spring. :oops:

Bassman8 likes this.
  4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall TDPRI Member

Based on what I read, Ohio is a rainy state ?

Summer a really dry generally here, so you're pretty sure in July and August everything is brown.

5. unixfish

We have a fair share of rain; maybe not rainy, but things are green, and it is not that common to have grass go brown / dormant.

It is also fairly humid here in the summer - I think it is a bit dryer where you are? We get 80F - 90F (27C - 32C) in the summer with 80% - 85% humidity.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where I live summers are dry (little to no rain for months at a time) BUT! everyone have underground "pop up" lawn irrigation, so we can keep mowing :cry:

7. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

With over 9" of rain in April, and already 1.7" this month, yeah - we got that, haha. Add to that the sump has been pumping between about 5-10,000 gallons a day since late September. o_O

I can do the front with the zero-turn no problem...and about half the back. Gotta use the walk-behind in the other area because I can at least horse that out of the mud if it starts to sink. :eek:

Had to help my neighbor's landscaper get his 1200 lb Scag zero-turn out of the mud last week. Come on, July!

8. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I'm so highly allergic to grass, among just about everything else sprouting this time of year; that I've recently stopped and don't mow my own grass anymore,
    because I just get sick when I do, even when wearing a stupid mask! I have a younger neighbor down the street that owns a landscaping business and he keeps my yard looking great for a very reasonable price. However; so far this year, due to just an ungodly amount of rain every other day it seems, to keep it from looking like a dang jungle out there, my landscaping bill has been through the roof so far this season! (Thanks, El Nino!)

Yes, it's been super rainy here in NC this past year too!

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

What I hate most about getting too much rain is having to deal with the ravenous swarms of mosquitoes. They're not out in full force yet, but in a month or so they'll make me want to mow the lawn in a beekeeper's suit.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Around here the thinking is that we're having a wet Spring to make up for the unusually dry Winter.

Today is the first sunny day we've had in nearly two weeks. On the last sunny day, I felt all ambitious and hit the lawn with Weed & Feed, and then we got nearly two solid weeks of rain. My back yard looks like the Amazon. I'm going to knock off work at noon and go out and try cutting it back some.

- D

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

The desert is hot in the Summer, cold in the Winter, dusty and arid but we do have one small advantage.

[​IMG]

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

On Saturday I was up at 6am and it was snowing... not much, but enough to make the tops of the nearby hills white. At 2pm I was out mowing the lawn!

I haven't needed to mow the back garden for a year since we got four geese... and they lay us eggs too. (Well, three of them do!)

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like the 4th goose is doing his part!

Yeah, I was on the Nantahala River on Saturday, after a very hard mid day rainstorm, and the weather cleared out very nicely and both gauges were about 4/10ths feet above normal. I don't know if that doubles the volume or not but it scared somebody off. I shared the river with one fly fisherman on shore but otherwise had it entirely to myself, from something like 4:25 until almost 7. A river that can be a borderline zoo at other times.

Although, it is possible a lot of people were off to the east, to Waynesville, to show their respects to the wonderful young hero from that small town. Some young men at least, are made of the very finest, rarest stuff.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    scrimmer and Bristlehound like this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Yep... he's a busy boy!:)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Of course he has dogs! Sheep dogs.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

after putting the engine back together with a new head gasket set and $25 carby then giving it a quick run, I left it for a week until today when I got it out, fired it up easily without any puff of smoke and mowed a half acre of cobblers pegs and soft weeds about 3 foot high... the old rover plowed through it all without missing a beat, or making any weird noises, leaking oil or blowing any smoke... sweet... :)

mower engine1.jpg

new carby.JPG

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am a very lucky man.
    My neighbor is a stay at home dad, who loves being
    outside and gardens.
    He mows my lawn for free every week saying
    that it only takes a couple more minutes.
    I did buy me(him) a new mower last year.
    I take over some homemade chili, etc.

RetroTeleRod and BigDaddyLH like this.
  18. unixfish

Just re-mowed today. Still muddy and soft, but at least no standing water, and the ground does not bring water to the surface like a sponge when you step.

19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I used to dislike mowing my lawn. Then things changed. In this trying time I give you a bit of humor, which is itself a difficult subject:

Mowing the lawn affords a person an abundance of time to think while he is simultaneously cut off from the world around him by the sound of the mower and perhaps the presence of earplugs, and is unburdened with outside distraction or even any intellectual challenge arising from the task. Having, of late, involuntarily indulged in this activity, I give you a syllogism and meditation, to wit,

Lessons from the Handle of the Lawnmower:

[​IMG]

1. In order for a man to discover himself in the predicament of "having to mow his yard," he must first possess a yard, with all the blessings and privileges appertaining thereunto.
    2. In order for a man to mow his own yard in the modern style, he must first possess that marvel of over a century's worth of research and development, the power mower.
    3. In order for a man to mow his own lawn, he must first possess adequate health to accomplish the task.*

THEREFORE,
    It must be concluded that a multitude of prevenient blessings, often overlooked, attach themselves to the chore of mowing one's own yard. It is still a chore, but perhaps the harshness and toil of the chore can be mitigated by meditating on and reveling in the blessings from which the chore arises.

* I can vouch for this truth, having spent three years medically unable to mow my own yard and being reduced to watching someone else do it.

Blessings,

RCW

From my website, HERE.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

We were headed up North into Kentucky on a day like today, one older house facing the old highway after another and maybe an acre on average, and these folks were all using those self propelled riding mowers.

6 or so of those then we come to the 7th house and this hardy guy is out there pushing a mower with just the powered blade. No younger than any of the other 6 neighbors but with an interesting twist: This guy had lost a leg above the knee and was wearing an artificial leg. So, the guy with the most evident need for a riding mower and he's refusing to go that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.