Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I hate analog delays.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 18, 2017.

1. Austinato

Austinato TDPRI Member

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    My discrepancy with the Supa-Puss was that I couldn't really find a way to have the repeats be at the volume I desired without sending it into self-oscillation. The "Gain" knob is definitely a cool feature, but I found even the slightest adjustment away from all the way anti-clockwise had a really big affect on how quickly it would jump into self-oscillation. When dialed back, any repeats beyond the second one were just too quiet, especially when I had other things going on top of it. To the point where it was kind of like, "What's the point of having this on if I can't even hear it?"

Playing solo, it was fine. And I loved that it had tap tempo capabilities (in fact, this was the main draw to the pedal in the first place). It was just too quiet when used at "normal" delay settings.

Never played on the Aqua Puss, so I can't comment on that one.

2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Depends how many wrong notes you play.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I agree. I have had three and all sucked IMO. I am very happy with my TC Electronic Flashback. It's versatile and does all I need. Never going back to analog. This is my last delay.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    While I can't vouch for it addressing all the tonal shortcomings you guys are finding with analogue bucket brigade delays, The Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail for me has absolutely no 'noise floor' issues. It's dead quiet engaged but at rest, possibly the least noise-inducing of my ten or so pedals. And i am noise-sensitive.

But this dialogue does make me wonder if the common repeat darkness issue with bucket brigades might be in part a consequence of incorporated noise filtering? WARNING Sheer uninformed speculative question, do not quote.

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

This golden age of pedals has led to amazing levels of pickiness, IMO. I use delay in two typical modes- slap back or typical rock lead- longer delay, just a couple repeats, not too loud. I happen to have a CC but would be fine with anything reliable that isn't too noisy or tone sucking. I remember when there were two wah choices, maybe three fuzzes, one phase, a couple choruses. Now it's endless. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

7. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2006
    Western Australia
    I have a Roland tape echo but it is noisy and my digital is so much easier.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    It's interesting isn't it. The more we get the more we want.

I have a digital and analogue delay on my main board. Both boss. But I could spend much more on digital and analogue delays. There are reasons to.

9. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    People love to talk smack about Boss pedals, but they are so good for such a good price.

Give me an SD1 and a DD3 through an AC 15, and I'm a happy guy.

10. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    How do you use it? for what music and effects? how do you set it?
    how do I get police & thieves out of it?

11. Austinato

Austinato TDPRI Member

May 13, 2017
    I laughed heartily, and out loud, at myself around 1pm this afternoon, just as I was walking out of Guitar Center's doors. . .
    . . .with a Malekko 616 analog delay in my hands.

I have no shame.

Jakedog, Hammerdog, losrogers and 2 others like this.
  12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I like analog delays like my Strymon El Capistan. They managed to fit a tape transport mechanism and multiple heads into what I consider to be a very small box.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Frfly

Frfly TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2015
    NYC
    I got a moog mf delay because I wanted something that felt like a chandler (which is digital, but runs warm, so may be more like an analog), and it's got the most bucket brigade chips (4) so it must be the best analog delay, right?

If I need more versatility, maybe I'll pick up a Flashback. There's a lot of cool options, though.

14. Austinato

Austinato TDPRI Member

May 13, 2017
    Ultimately, I found the Moog Minifooger MF Delay too muddy for my preference. I know I'm going to get into contradictory territory here, but I found it almost too dynamic for its own good. It seemed to react differently every time I turned it on, so it was an endless chore of twiddling between the "Drive", "Feedback", and "Mix" knobs to get the right volume and kind of repeats I wanted. And even then, I'm not a robot, so my picking dynamics would of course change and that, in turn, would cause the Moog to react differently. It almost seemed inconsistent in how it worked. Maybe it just wasn't made with guitars in mind? And, for some reason, whenever I activated the foot switch on, it would click, which would then repeat through the delay. Not super loud, but definitely audible at all volumes. Wonderful sounding delay, though. Very warm and easy to get lost in. Just not a flawless package.

The Malekko is working out pretty well already. I love the ability to tweak the modulation from the front panel. I've already found a really nice and unique setting that reveals a timbre similar to an old electric organ when you let notes ring out on top of the echoes. Even though it should be said that the depth knob gets just plain silly past a certain point and I can't imagine any time, ever, when that sound wouldn't be anything other than ridiculous.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I've had more than three ADs that pretty much sucked, depending on what you wanted them to do and how you wanted them to sound.
    But I started using them instead of tape before the delay explosion happened, so there were fewer choices and I had to keep searching.

Now the range of DD that "sounds like" AD or tape is IMO hilarious.
    But that's kind of narrow minded of me since I only have my guitar sound needs. Other players have other needs and there are products to fill them.

I'll say this again: "Analog Delay" is like "Tube Amp".

If a player tried three Marshalls and concluded that tube amps suck because they aren't clean enough, I'd suggest they try some Fenders.
    Not because I'm convinced they need tube amps, but because they only tried the wrong tube amps for their needs.

But this discussion is kind of a waste of time since DD no longer sucks and AD is becoming an old (now third world) tech that the industry no longer supports.

Which is really too bad since AD circuitry tech has improved over the vintage circuits with noise and "clock noise" and clarity problems (or dark repeats if you like "clarity problems"); even as bbd chips have taken a bad turn due to disuse and abandonment, so bbd chip production is relegated to low end manufacturers in third world countries.
    When the last great Japanese bbd chips were shipped, some truly great ADs were made, and these fetch stupid money considering they're not dollars-for-quality much better sounding than a good DD.
    Some delay builders have spent big money tooling up for proprietary bbd chips, but they still have to use lesser manufacturers. Panasonic has no interest in going there.

Today the majority of players learn about gear behind a computer instead of behind a guitar.
    So the sound of AD is "thick and syrupy".
    And most manufacturers know they can sell lo fi product, so (with a few exceptions) have no need to build better quality any more.

If you want different "tone" from a delay all you have to do is run the wet side into a second amp channel and eq it to taste.
    Or keep buying "warm analog sounding DDs" till you find the perfect tone.
    Or buy a six knob DD.
    Clarity OTOH cannot be eq'd.
    Easier and cheaper to dial back the tone on a DD than to build a clean sounding AD.

AD is dead.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  16. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    I get your point. But honestly I've yet to find a location where the natural echo would be anywhere close to clear, pristine digital delay sound, indoors or out-.

17. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm not a big analog delay fan either, too murky and dark. I don't really get all the "it's what you need for Rockabilly slapback" comments, that's what I use delay for, and I find I have to turn up the repeat too high to hear it, and by that time it adds bass, and gets messy because of too much echo going on, amp distorts more because of the extra input signal, etc...

My favorite delay is my echoplex, but that's not very handy to take on any gig, and it's getting old and needs some maintenance. I've been very happy with the Dunlop EP delay since I've had it, for my ears they nailed the EQ of the repeats, and I get the exact slapback I'd been looking for, and it has the treble I was looking for without sounding too sterile, mechanical or lifeless.

bottlenecker likes this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    jake you crazy

I can't tell you how many times hot chicks come up to me during breaks and say "omg your delay sounds so warm, so analog" while they bite their lips and smile

never happens with digital

19. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Exactly.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I've yet to be in any room or hall that sounded all sproingy like a spring reverb, but I still love the sound of them anyway. :)

Jakedog and telemnemonics like this.
  21. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm pretty sure spring reverb replicates the exact reverberations you would hear inside the tube of a 30 foot curl, but I'll never know.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.