Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate analog delays.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 18, 2017.

1. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    I think it's a good thing that players can choose any device that provides the sound they're looking for. It's not a matter of what is "best" or "worst". It's easy to forget that there was a time when you had barely a fuzz and/or a wah-wah pedal to modify your sound. Given the myriads of pedals that are available nowadays, a player can assemble a set that allows to create the sound that he or she considers it's the most adequate to his or her needs.

I'm pretty happy with the analog EHX Memory Boy that I have on my pedalboard. It provides both subtle delay and chorus that is just perfect for what I want. One thing, however, I can't get from it, which is "infinite repetition". For this, I have to grab my EHX #1 Echo, another good, clear-sounding, digital pedal. Then again, I rarely need that "infinite delay", so this pedal is kinda a backup.

Guitar, pedals and amps are no more than tools - yes, they are cool and we all love them, but in the end, they're tools to making music. So, I would say that the only rule that applies is: "use whatever you need to get the sound that pleases you the most, and enjoy it".

Best regards.

2. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    I absolutely love analog delays, but I definitely see the use for digital delays in some situations.

I think the thing that I get the most out of analog delays is the dynamics. It's just not something you can replicate with digital repeats. The Carbon Copy, for example, reacts to your playing dynamics, whereas something like the Flashback just does clean repeats. Like I said, definitely applicable uses for both, but if I had to choose just one, I'm going with an analog unit.

All that said, I'm a total delay snob. Currently have five delays in my pedal chain: Moog MF Minifooger Analog, TC Electronic Flashback Digital, Boss DD-7 Digital, MXR Carbon Copy Analog, and Jim Dunlop Echoplex (is this analog or digital? It has to be a digital replication of the EP-3, right?). I don't just love analog delays because they say that's what they are on the tin. I've tried out, and really did not get along too well with: Way Huge Supa-Puss, MXR Carbon Copy Bright, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, TC Electronic Echobrain, and the Mad Professor Deep Blue (isn't this some weird analog/digital hybrid thing? In any case, it just didn't work out for me).

Ultimately, delay is a sound that I think sounds damn great in just about any well-used setting. I just really love the idea and I think, no matter what flavor of delay you prefer, it brings out inspired playing when you find your sweet spot.

Last edited: May 19, 2017

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I completely disagree with your assessment that digital delays lack dynamics

nathanteal, Jakedog and jimash like this.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I have two old DM3s and a DM2. I use them for really short delay , almost as a doubler to fatten up singlecoil bridge pu's. Often its to muddy an effect for neck pu , esp humbuckers
    I use a DD3 for everything else , must have had it for at least 25 years

Jakedog likes this.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I'm in the Scottie Moore/Slapback group. I agree that sound seems to be easy to obtain through a wide range of pedals. I get it using a CC through my old, non reverb amps, but my SCx2 has a "reverb/delay" setting that gets the job done. Also, compressors really work nice with single coils, especially Teles. If I use one on a HB guitar I can't tell if it's on or off.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I think a lot of analog and digital sim trying to model vintage echo sounds, cause the repeats to degrade faster than they should and often distort more quickly. I dont remember tape delays having repeats 'dirty' up as quickly as the modern pedals meant to simulate that sound. Tape echos have a nice warm compressed like sound when you push them IMO. The sims often distort the repeats and bend pitch too much, IME.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I only use delay as a slapback.

Analog works perfectly for that.

8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    A bucket brigade delay is nothing like the tape echo they used in the 50s. Tape is not lo fi, bucket brigade is. A digital delay is much better for a 50s slapback.

A BBD is better for the "psychedelic" thing because it's darker sound stays out of the way better with long times or lots of repeats, and I think rock guys like it for distorted lead thickening.

The cool thing about tape is it starts out hi fi, but subsequent repeats get lo fi as it progresses. The second repeat is a tape of a tape, then a tape of a tape of a tape, etc. So lots of repeats get out of the way a little, and the slapback is tight and clear.

beyer160 likes this.

9. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2016
    DFW
    To be fair though, analog delay and digital delay serve two different purposes. Whats your main gig?

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It is the dynamics of an analog delay the makes it special along with the warmth. This thread has revived my interest into the CC Brite. I wonder how noisy it is compared the original CC?

Yup, it's all your fault Jakedog.;)

Jakedog likes this.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't understand what the dynamics of a delay pedal are

12. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    This is really a good perspective. There is no best or worst for delay, because we are artists and along with it comes what we individually enjoy. We are in the golden era of pedals and we should all be very content with the incredible number of choices out there. Who would have thought that there would be so many good options for something rather unnatural as delay.

Marcelo R likes this.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    @waparker4 - to me it is how the delay reacts to pick attack, primarily. Pick lightly/subtly and get an unobtrusive ambient wash or pad, rather than distinct repeats. Dig in/mute and get more prominent, staccato repeats. It is the ability to achieve that and in particular lots of variation between, that I really like in a delay.

The DD2/3 do that, better than others for me. And I like the sound of the wash/staccato repeats better than any others I've tried.

14. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Sep 10, 2012
    Lithuania, Vilnius
    In the battle for delay spot DD-3 kicked carbon copy's butt. Although I do wish to try CC again and at least once in my life a real tape, like echoplex, but DD-3 just doing it for me now;)

Jakedog likes this.

15. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    That basically sums it up.

And I really want to stress again that I love really all kinds of delay sounds. It's been such a big influence on my appreciation and playing of music. There is, for me, very few times when I think it's not a good idea.

@Obsessed
    I ain't no artist =)

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

no, its not.

glad I could help.

nathanh, blowtorch and Ira7 like this.

17. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    I really had much higher hopes for the Carbon Copy Bright. To me, when I see people on this topic complaining about analog delays muddy up everything, I can definitely see that applying to the CCB. Where the original had a pretty full and round sound in its repeats, it's almost like the Bright version took your initial signal and, starting with the first repeat, just completely pulled all the sliders on the left side of the EQ down. It was a really harsh, metallic thing that I just couldn't reconcile with, whether through using different guitars, pickups or stacking it with other pedals. Not saying somebody else can't make it sound good or even great, but it definitely wasn't for me.

18. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Hmmm, that was what I was afraid of. Good to know. Phew, GAS lowered a bit.:lol:

BTW, if you play guitar you are an artist, whether you know it or not.;)

19. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The way huge pussies sound really nice and clear. They're analog.

20. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.