Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate analog delays.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 18, 2017.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

Sometimes you just have to dive in. I have found that I like compressors better on my single coils. They just get that little extra snap. I have a Boss CS3. I want another one for my second amp also. For delay I have DD3 and DD7. The 7 does a few extra tricks but the 3 is fine for what I want

2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'

I've always thought they were rather "trippy," especially tape delays. And I don't get the "natural" thing. The digital delays have always sounded more realistic to me.

Jakedog likes this.

3. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I haven't found a straight analog echo I like as much as a good old DD-3. But I haven't found a digital delay I like as much as a tape delay (unless said digital delay is emulating a tape delay). I love the defects of tape delays, but something about the dark, murky nature of analog delays repulses me.

That said, I do like the Strymon Brigadier. I know it's an analog emulation, but it's digital and can land that in between sound quite nicely, where it's not bright and poppy like a digital delay, nor dark and soupy like a true analog delay. And it can still distort and move around like I tend to like my delays to do.

Tootle and Jakedog like this.

4. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    My only delay was a DD-3 for a long time. Last year I got the DM-2W; the custom switch goes to 800ms, same as the DD-3. After AB-ing them for awhile I kicked the DD-3 off the board. Just to make sure I checked again several weeks later, then sold the DD-3. No contest, no regrets.

stratoman1 and dlew919 like this.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Seriously, many may ADs are sort of "dark and soupy" like you find all ADs to be.
    In fact of the 20 or more vintage and recent ADs I've owned, most are on the too dark and not clear enough side.
    I moved to AD when I got tired of my Echoplex noise and bulk, but it was another decade finding ADs I really liked.
    Also tried some digital tape delay sims, which I liked for maybe ten minutes.

Delay is deceptively simple yet surprisingly varied.
    And digital is not the bad sounding thing it used to be.
    Good AD and sophisticated DD are so expensive now that I'm really glad my current delays don't annoy me. If my gear doesn't annoy me I keep using it and don't need to shop.

Jakedog likes this.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    For slap-back, anything is fine.

If you're getting into the heavy stuff, freaky psychedelic, I guess you want digital.

I want my slap-back to sound 1950s, totally NOT high fidelity, and even my dirt cheap Behringer analog delay gets me there.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I'm still exploring the Rogue Analog Delay I got as a throw in with a used Strat. It's turned down fairly low across all knobs but it stays on while I tap dance across the handful of OD/Distortion pedals I have. It injects a hefty noise floor though.

Anyone know who makes it and what pedal it's supposed to be or is a copy of? I think Rogue is a Fender brand therefore will be a private label of some other branded pedal.

Obsessed likes this.

8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I stuck to digital (DD7 + tap tempo) because I require longer durations between repeats (>800ms) as well as subtle background repeats, and as the only guitarist in my band, for more texture and filling out the sound during a solo.

Within a band context an analog delay would simply become a wash of background noise given how subtly I presently set my DD-7 (mix knob at noon) to hear about 2-3 repeated notes that trail off reasonably quickly.

Ex-riverman likes this.

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I agree with your description of a bucket brigade delay even though I like BBDs because they sound mechanical, and kind of lo-fi syrupy. I don't own one now, and they are not my favorite, but sometimes I miss having one around.

I can't agree about acoustic echos, because they never just drop in volume. They change in EQ because low frequencies take more energy to move and drop off first. Also, sometimes they change in pitch when the source or reflecting surface is moving.

Tape delays drop the bass first, and lose detail in general as echos repeat, a lot like an acoustic echo. The first repeat is clean and realistic though, at least on a good working unit. Tape delay is my very favorite delay.

Jakedog likes this.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's funny you say that, because I like to set my analog delays to be perceptible when you turn it off, but subtle to hear when it's on. It's nice as a base tone in my experience.

Also I like the way the analog pedals oscillate. :eek:

Staypuft1652, losrogers and Jakedog like this.

11. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I bought a new Ibanez AD-9 in the early '80s and never liked it. The sound was dark and muffled. I bought a Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay about 10 years later and found it to be overly bright and harsh. About 10 years after that, I built a BYOC DD-80 digital delay when they first offered it and loved it! It had just the right amount of warmth. I still use one today.

Jakedog likes this.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    It's weird.

Messing up a pristine echo got hip (analog) and maintaining a perfect echo got bogus (digital).

I don't know which is cooler but I sincerely miss you Jakedog.

John

Jakedog likes this.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It depends on how you tend to use delay. The way I use delay, analog becomes an overbearing mess of lower frequencies. Digital and tape (tape sims these days) work better. On these its the low end that fades in the repeats and it leaves room for music to ensue. With analogs its the energetic low end that remains to over take the sound. Anything works for a slap-back delay. Just my two cents.

Jakedog and waparker4 like this.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I like the analog delay sound except the the extra noise that seems to come along with them. Maybe it is the darkness, I dunno. I like the digital delay that is trying to sound like an analog, but it is way more quiet. I had a Rogue "Analog" Delay (not true analog) on my board for a few years and decided to go for the Belle Epoch to try to get more "realism" ... whatever I think that is in my head. I could easily go back to the Rogue, but I'm having too much fun exploring the BE. I'm not gigging right now, but if I was, I'd be getting another Rogue immediately. It goes on sale for like $35 once in awhile, true bypass and built like a tank. I think I sold mine for $25.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Jakedog likes this.

15. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Didn't care much for analog delays either, until I tried a Carbon Copy Bright. Solves the darkness that most other analog delays have, very low noise and very little tone suck.

Jakedog, toomuch and RLee77 like this.

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I like mixing warm analog delays with cold digital synths. That's where they "shine" ;)

I use a T.C. Electronics Nova Delay for guitar, which is based on their famous 2290 digital rack delay. So I agree in general.

Jakedog likes this.

17. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    Nahhh. I hate clean repeats that sound like the note I just played. I like the repeats which sound a bit muffled, organic, and melt into the main tone.

What I hate about analog delays, though, is the noise. What I noticed (with my Malekko Ekko) is that both my 5E3 and AC30 accentuate the pedal hiss a lot. Other amps don't do that. FX loop in the AC30 works just fine and the hiss is largely mitigated. I wonder if it has something to do with the lack of negative feedback in these amps. Hmm...

18. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    What ever sounds are in our ears :)

I'm in hte muffled modulation camp my self, but hey ... !

Piotr likes this.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    In nature though, high frequencies do usually get absorbed at a higher rate when they're reflected off a surface. Go to the Ryman in Nashville and start singing on the stage. Before security hauls you off, you'll notice that the reflected sound coming back at you from the back wall is missing a good amount of high end. This is also why padding a practice room with shag carpet on the walls makes everything sound dull.

http://www.paroc.com/knowhow/sound/sound-absorption

To my ear, pristine digital delays sound unnatural because they don't occur that way in nature. This isn't a bad thing though, it's just a matter of taste and aesthetic. I really like the warble and grit of a ragged-out Echoplex, but it's not for everything.

Yeah, well I've been told that analog delays don't think you're hot stuff, either!

Agreed- I don't want my repeat(s) interfering with the stuff that comes after them. That was kind of a happy accident of the early tape delays- losing a bit of high end made them sit in the mix better. When using digital delays in the studio I nearly always rolled off the high EQ on them for that reason.

middy and Piotr like this.

20. toomuch

toomuch TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    Exactly, many newer AD pedals have adjusted to this. The custom side on the DM-2W is also brighter (in a very pleasant way) than the stock side; sits in the mix nicely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.