Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate analog delays.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 18, 2017.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I have a carbon copy, love it. I've had other old-school analog delays that I didn't care for at all, and I sold them for a premium price, being all vintage-y and stuff, but I couldn't see using them for recording because they sounded like crap to my ears. But the carbon copy sounds pristine and clear to me, it's my go to delay unless I need the big delays of a digital (I have both).

Wyzsard likes this.

2. Twobobstunes

Twobobstunes TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Ohio
    This does a pretty good job, they go for $50-100 used. The Seymour Duncan Deja Vu. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ja-vu-tap-delay-with-bbd-guitar-effects-pedal

Jakedog likes this.

3. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ya'know... I love digital stuff and own some nice digital gear, but when dealing with tube amps in the sweet spot of breakup, analog stuff just reacts better for me. I love my Big Sky Reverb on acoustic and the El Capistan is an beautiful sounding tape delay when I'm recording or playing a real clean amp but they just don't sit well when I'm pushing an amp hard. Things just tend to become a wash and fail to cut through a live mix and I lose some feel. Jamming at home at low volumes either works well though.

I own digital and I own analog. They both have their place in my arsenal.

Jakedog and Hammerdog like this.

4. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    You are definitely on to something there. Since I got the '68 Princeton I have been mixing and matching and trying to de-digital some of the functions on my pedals, but playing loud, I really only need a compressor.

Jakedog likes this.

5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I am trying to convince myself that I need a compressor and a delay . I've watched and listened to videos all week long and just as soon as I think I have narrowed it down I see or hear something else that just confuses me.

Paralysis by analysis !

stratoman1, Ex-riverman and Jakedog like this.

6. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Seriously I have lots of compressors and delays.
    I am liking the Keeley 4 knob compressor and the Catalinbread Echorec. ( liking as in Using)
    But those two can be about $400. ( Echorec used is a gamble)
    You can get very similar sounds from a Modtone/Belcat/Rogue compressor and a used Digitech Digidelay for less than $100 all in.
    Then you can shop for upgrades at your leisure.

Nickadermis and Jakedog like this.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I grew up in the eighties. Digital all the way-preferably Eventide.

Wyzsard, Ex-riverman and Jakedog like this.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I used a Boss DD3 for seventeen years. Until it finally went belly up. I decided that was a good chance to check out everything available today, and especially the analog stuff. Because, anything out now has to be better than a lowly Boss Pedal, right? Wrong. I've been through so many of these things, if I still had them all I could open a giant used delay store. Lol.

I'm getting another DD3 and calling it a day. Slapbacks, long echos, whatever. It just sounded good. All the time, every time.

stnmtthw and RetroTeleRod like this.

9. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

I have spent more time looking at that Keely 4 knob. And the Analogman bi comp than anything else.

I was given a Digitech RP 360 with the expression pedal and I can get some delay settings that I like out of it. But none of the compressor settings sound good through my amp. But that could entirely be my lack of knowledge on the thing. Or Compressors in general for that matter.

Thanks for the suggestions !

jimash and Jakedog like this.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I just realized I've had my DD-3 for over 25 years. :eek:

RetroTeleRod, Jakedog and stratoman1 like this.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    IMO "analog delay" is like "tube amp".
    Most of them suck.
    Carbon copy, Aqua Puss, crappy bbd chips.

Keep an eye out for a used Maxon AD900 and plug in for a few minutes.
    Don't look at the price though till you try it.
    Or try an AD9 Pro or AD999 Pro, not quite as great sounding but still far better than the CC and other low mid grade ADs.

Jakedog and jimash like this.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I've owned both. For me the DD2/3 are way better. Not to mention smaller.

@Jakedog you haven't even noted the best part about the Boss - can't miss that switch in the heat of things.

Jakedog likes this.

13. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I've had the DD2 since 1986, and my Memory Man is my second one, from about 1990. Got the first in the mid 1970's.
    Before that I had the Guild/WEM Copycat.

Jakedog likes this.

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    COOLIO

Coolio

coolio

coolio

Jakedog likes this.

15. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I have a boss dm2 that I actually like, but I currently use the delays on my line6 board so I guess I am a digital delay user. I think the old analog have their place if that is what you are after.

Jakedog likes this.

16. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    The Digidelay has a very nice analog setting that sits nicely in a mix.
    And a mod setting that spreads in stereo like Pat Metheny.
    And a reverse delay, and looping.
    I got it quick when someone stole my DD2. I got the DD2 back, but the Digidelay remains in use.

Jakedog likes this.

17. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why is Echorec used a gamble?

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah if you like the sound of a good DDL better than a good AD that's great.
    But suffering with mediocre ADs sucks. Unfair comparison.
    Not sure why @Jakedog even thinks about AD, but maybe he really wants something he's not getting with digital?
    I might take a good DDL over a CC.

BTW, the AD9 Pro is the same size as a Boss, and has the tap function for Floyd style double repeats. The AD999 Pro is the big one, and has three extra taps. Very cool if you're looking for Floyd sound or more natural room sound with the echoes not all in 4/4 time.
    This is what I use AD for, some natural non rhythmic echo and thickening.

Course, if you need longer delays its digital.
    I think the AD9 Pro is 600ms and the 999 or 900 are 900ms.
    Lots of super popular expensive vintage ADs are pretty dark and murky.
    The AD900 is really clear and clean, but the Panasonic chips are no longer made, and the proprietary chips Maxon uses now are maybe not quite as good.
    Older ADs with the best chips generally have other problems that were solved in the AD900, just as AD was losing the market share needed to continue big enough high quality chip production.

Too bad the good Maxons are so expensive, and the CC is so popular even though it's not really very good. I guess it doesn't have to be very good since most players seem to expect muddy repeats form AD.
    Same with digital sims of tape delay.
    Most simulate a malfunctioning Echoplex.
    But there's such a huge R&D market coming up with all sorts of ways to make a clean digital repeat sound dirty, lots of poison to pick through...

losrogers, Jakedog and jimash like this.

19. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    like most things in life, you get what you pay for ... which may be hard to understand when even an average analog delay is less capable and more expensive than most digital delays. then again there's always a group that is going to hate it no matter what ...

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.

20. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Based on the used one that I had to return. It is a complex, packed little box.
    There are user adjustable functions inside. If someone has maladjusted them, it may be challenging to get back to factory set.
    So that was wrong with the first one, and apparently all that opening up and picking around with it made the "swell" or [number of repeats] function knob just stop working.
    So I spent the extra money on a new, guaranteed, well adjusted one. It's worth it, if you like it.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.