Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I hate analog delays.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jakedog, May 18, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I keep trying them, because I know I'm supposed to like them, but I just don't. At all.

People say they are more natural. Warmer. I think if by warmer they mean "under a blanket", I agree. I don't think they sound natural at all. If they're meant to mimic old lo-fi technology, they do that well. To me they don't sound anything approaching "natural". To me, they sound like a man made fake echo developed before the tech existed to make a clean sounding echo.

I'm not slamming people who like them. If that's the sound one is after, coolio. I've just come to find that with every one of these I try, the sound I'm after just doesn't exist in the analog delay world.

I want clean repeats that sound like the note I just played. Like a real echo. Real echos have clean repeats, that gradually drop off in volume. But they don't distort, sound muffled, or wiggle around. Old machines do that.

Alright. Rant over. Move along. Nothing to see here.

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I have the T-Red and I really like it.

But I miss my digital delay and liked it better. I agree with you.

Jakedog likes this.

3. TexMax

TexMax Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I am with you, I never liked analog delays and gave up even considering them many years ago.

red57strat and Jakedog like this.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    How you gonna get a nice old-school sounding rockabilly slapback?
    (Now I'm sure someone is gonna trot out that pic of Scotty Moore's updated rig, with the digidelay :))

To me though, there are two types of delays, Scotty Moore and Davie Gilmour. And I love them both. I just wish there were a smallish unit that could do both.

5. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2013
    Saskatoon
    I just keep going back to the DD-3

6. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I like digital emulation delays. If I want that washed out degraded repeats sound, I can get it. Bit, it's not the knot sound I'm stuck with as it would be if I had an analog delay. Bought a Carbon Copy, used it once, and returned it. Digital "analog" is good enough for me.

A year or two ago though, I would curse myself now for being okay with digital and SS Amos now. Convenience won in the end.

7. 59 Restorer

59 Restorer TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Buffalo
    Three words: DELUXE MEMORY MAN

teleaddicted, BBill64 and TMMC like this.

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I've been using a DM-2 since the late 80s. I'm not sure if I like it or if I'm used to it so I won't change it. I also have some DDLs (Ibanez Delay III being my fav along with a Chandler Digital Echo).

Jakedog likes this.

9. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Agree 100%.

Jakedog likes this.

10. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2016
    Oregon
    I thought it was me but I bought a Carbon Copy also and I hate it. Maybe used it twice.

karpis and Jakedog like this.

11. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    An interesting opinion, because I commented in a thread recently that I didn't like delay because it sounded sterile. Someone suggested I might like an analog delay, because analog circuits tend to be frequency-dependant and might give the more "organic" tones I like. As it is, I use fairly subtle reverb or even more subtle echo.

Jakedog likes this.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Here's the irony, though: Sonically speaking, the old tape delays and the digital delays are much closer in sound than any analog bucket-brigade unit is; the result being (for my money) that digital delays do a more authentic slapback than analog. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's my take on it.

RomanS, RoyalBaby, red57strat and 3 others like this.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    They work best with shorter repeats. Anything over a quarter of a second is problematic. But slap back, man. Give me digital delays for long Brian may, Dave Gilmour repeats. But for that rockabilly sound or to fill out your sound give me analogue.

And it doesnt work for everyone.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Boss DD7

15. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 26, 2016
    Texas
    Ok. I'm open for suggestions. I've got a Wampler Tape Echo that I like. I'm thinking there's somthing to what your saying. Any suggestions for the sound your talking about.?..

Jakedog likes this.

16. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always have (and still to this day) liked the DL4 better than any other delay I have ever tried/used

Jakedog likes this.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    [​IMG]

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Testify!

I cycled through SO many analog delays. Including really pricey and vintage ones, because they were what I was "supposed to" like. Never happy.

Until I found the DD2. I was so convinced "analog is better" that I even went back to analog after finding the DD2. I told myself I was happy. Until one day I finally went back to the DD2, and all was right with the world. But you know what, DD7 is great too.

To me, digital delay is a better "instrument". I swear I can get more textures and tones out of a digital unit than an analog unit. Lay back and get an ambient wash, dig in and get hard repeats. Or any variation between. Analog just gives that percussive first repeat, no matter what.

What I can't tell is if that is inherent in analog v. digital, or if that is just inherent in how I touch the guitar and interact with the delay. But I no longer question it.

I won't get fooled again ...

Jakedog likes this.

19. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I have a Deluxe Memory Man, just fort old times sake. I don;t use it much, but it does sound good.
    DD2 is hard to beat for straight delays, so I have one those.
    And I also use a Catalinbread Echorec which I really really like.
    And of course the Digitech Digidelay. It's just good.

Jakedog likes this.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm using two delays these days. A Digitech DigiDelay for longer echos to get weird and a TC Alter Ego with a custom tone print in the loop of the amp for low volume slap back. I don't know if I ever ever tried an analog delay unless the original Memory Man in the '70's was analog. As I recall, that thing sounded good, but the only comparison at the time was tape delay.

jimash and Jakedog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.