Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I had my VVRI recapped...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dannyh, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    So what? People have amps recapped all the time...why is this topic worthy?...well, it probably isn’t, but I’ve had a lot of vintage amps from the 50’s or 60’s recapped, and this was the first RI/PCB amp I’ve gone ahead and bit the bullet and recapped. I had it in the shop to have another issue looked at, and my amp Doc asked if the electrolytics in this amp were the originals...I guess I’m one of those guys that still thinks of 1990 as only being about ten years ago, but this amp is a ‘91 Model, and the calendar tells me that was...gasp...almost 30 years ago. I never woulda used a vintage amp from the 60’s with 25 year old (and then some) electrolytics, but here I’ve been plugging along with this amp for a couple years now. Guess the point is, a lot of these reissues out there are probably due, and yet I (and probably a few others around my age) still think of a RI as a new amp, at least in the back of my mind, regardless of its actual age....just something to keep in mind. Like the song says, “it’s later than you think”...

BobbyZ, Piggy Stu, dan40 and 2 others like this.

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Mine's been sitting unplayed for a couple of months as it makes it to the top of my to-do list. Mine is also a '91, and the same reality of time hit me late last year. I decided to play it safe while fiddling with a bunch of other equipment related stuff and let it rest.

dannyh likes this.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yep. Me too. Mine was made in 1990, but I bought it new-in-the-box in 1992. 26 years of use...I have babied it to a certain degree, but it's time. I'd rather spend a little now than have it die later.

FiddlinJim likes this.

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    Weren't the 60s caps more prone to dryout/drift/failure than more modern ones?

When I asked the tech at Mesa about my (70s vintage) Mark II, he told me that amps made after 1970 or so were unlikely to require recapping. That was more than a decade ago, though- maybe he meant not yet? Still, it sounded to me as if he was saying the 70s caps were durable enough to last indefinitely.

I just haven't heard about 90s amps needing recapping.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    A few people have had Hotrods let go, partly because Fender used some 450 volt caps in early ones for 440 volt B+. A handful of new caps is craploads cheaper than a new transformer and tubes.

20 years old, got it apart, change'em I'd say.

I'm just ordering the lot for an 84 Superchamp.

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    why play guitar when you can spend money on service? it's about the gear not the playing.

zephyrR1 likes this.

7. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    You may find that good preventative gear maintenance will keep you playing on the gear you love.

Pretty straightforward..... ;)

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Well, I have a pre-LTD Bassman that I have been unable to date. But, we know it's pre-LTD. I noticed power was starting to flag a little, then it was making a little extra noise. I began suspecting the cpas. When I opened it up, several were physically leaking. Which means, they had probably been electronically leaking a bit longer.

I haven't even opened up my VVRI yet. But, I have a feeling.....

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Why change the oil or the tires in your car? Just enjoy driving around all the time...hey! What's that sound from underneath the hood?

10. eclecticsynergy

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    My blackface Bassman was completely rebuilt by Billy Zoom a couple of years ago so it's fine. Picked up a blackface Bandmaster for next to nothing from a pawnshop not too long ago- they thought it was fried but it just had a blown speaker. I'd been intending to get that one recapped before putting it to any real use.

Now I'm concerned about my Boogie though. It's a very early Mk II that Randy made for me back in the 70s when he was still building them at home in his shed. Built like a tank and super reliable. I'd played over 3,000 sets & sessions on the little monster when I finally retired it from active duty back in the 90s. Absolutely great sounding amp and also an old friend; I'd hate to see it fried.

I only really use it as a studio bass amp nowadays, and very seldom at that. I haven't gigged it once since I switched over to a Triaxis many years ago. (I have an 80s Son Of Boogie that serves as a rehearsal/jam amp, using pedals to replicate some favorite tones from the rack system.)

Even so, I guess I'd better have it checked out. Don't ever want to see something like this:

[​IMG]

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    My experience has been the opposite. Talking with a retired electronic's guy a couple years ago about it, his observations where electrolytic capacitors went down hill around 1970.
    You sure the Mesa dude wasn't talking "tone caps" ? That would make sense.

dannyh likes this.

12. eclecticsynergy

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    Nah, I only asked him because the amp was getting older and I wondered if the electrolytics might be aging.

I'll call them again; I have a question about my Triaxis which is now 25 years old itself. No power stage in that one but the

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.