I had a chance to try Digitech Trio Band Creator

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 782369, Sep 17, 2015.

1. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

It is not exactly my "cup of tea" but I can see it being useful learning/jamming tool. See for yourself:

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I had it for a couple of weeks and returned it. The concept is great. But, I had a hard time training it to be useful for practice. Usually what the drums and bass played bore no resemblance to what I was playing. That's more than likely user error. The drum/bass sounds are lame - I'd hope they'll fix that in a software update.

This is clearly a groundbreaking product and I expect we'll see it grow into something amazing. I'd really like to see it mated with a looper function so that you'd have a complete backing track. In the end, I decided to wait for "version 2".

3. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

Well said, I agree with you completely.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe that all it was ever intended to be. Unless the samples created could be saved to a memory and sequenced or looped somehow I don't think it would prove all that useful for live performing.

From what I've been reading it takes a little time and practice to "program" it to "learn" to play what you want correctly and the optional footswitch is pretty much a must to get full value from it.

Some will find value in it and others won't. I plan to try one out because the concept it pretty good as far as using it simply to work with a rhythm track to compose or play over.

5. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

I know it was intended for this, I just prefer to practice with Logic X or looper pedal.

6. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm kinda on the fence with it, tbh. I got one about a month ago & as others have said, it is a cool concept. I've had varying degrees of success with it "playing along" to the tunes I've fed into it. Sometimes it's not even close, we say the drummer just took a hit! It actually seems to be getting better at syncing with what we play but I suspect we're being trained by it.

As for the sounds being lame, I thought that too when I was running the Trio into the same amp I was playing out of, a Mustang III in this case. I then ran the Drummer & Bassist through my PJr across the room and voilà!,... big sound. Very natural sounding, when dialed the levels in appropriately. Not sure if anyone else has tried that but it makes a world of difference. Plus you're now able to play the fx through the main amp without the drums/bass being colored by them.

Have thought I should sell it but keep remembering how fun it is when you get a good jam going with it though.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I still have mixed feelings about it as well, but I've not messed around with it enough. GAS is funny. "gottahaveitgottahaveitgottahaveit", and then when you get it, "cool (I guess), I have that"

8. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Regardless I'm going to have to give it a try. If I don't like it I will do like others and return it.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I understand and like you said, it's not your "cup of tea". I plan to order one once I know I'll have the spare time to get to learn it and give it a thorough evaluation. Ease of use is what I'm looking for.

The funny thing is that I actually have loopers but I seldom use them because it takes more time to create the loop than I care to spend and I still don't have a full rhythm track with bass and drums to work against. If the Trio can do that without it taking more time to set it up than I'll spend playing over it then maybe it will prove to be an effective practice tool.

I understand it doesn't need to break for a beer after every track either. ;)

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am really trying to like mine...our drummer did not show up for practice again
    and thought I would try getting a groove going...well...Im not there y et..
    maybe I will keep on trying..

the actual drum sounds are not as good as my old alesis 16

11. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

Well...it's a polarizing pedal for sure. I would advise potential buyers to definitely try it before buying.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the idea is cool, but yeah, I enjoy my looper too much to go there. Way more dynamic to loop your own bass lines and the Trio sounds worse than my Boss DR-3 looper that I used to have.

Now that I have EZDrummer2, forget about the Trio. It will be interesting to watch the evolution of the product though.

13. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister

I've had mine for a couple of months...the above comments get it. Do run through a PA, not your amp....makes big diff. also...real simple lines to start...had some fun with it as steel player and I practiced for gig...but in no way is it a tool for live..
    try it out...give it 29 days...before you take it back...

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I did more of an update here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/560446-npd-digitech-trio-pedal-3.html#post6778450

Keeping in mind my amateur and chronic mediocrity status, two friends who keep threatening to play leaked out again last weekend and last night. In between between work and family tasks I had the drum and bass my leaker friends didn't provide and more entertainment than going out on the town.

I'm saying the secret to this product is low expectations and basic fun.

15. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

For the price, a Zoom G1on is a better tool, IMO

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I saw some YouTube demos and product page but did not get the impression it does that so simple make you a backing track loop from your own playing.

The Trio might not be used to its fullest here, but I'm totally in love with the simplicity to have something for play along whether it's just having the backing track or having the backing that's yours.

Instead of turning on computer, rigging up a music player, whatever.... playing a progression in an elemental way sets up something to play with. It could be my lack of talent or time but I also like it in the most simple settings because the bass line and drums are very defined.

This thing is not like playing with others but it's also beyond or more walk and chew gum than record or YouTube play along.

It the looping part of the new model is as good and easy as the JamMan Express XT people without a looper should consider it. OTOH, the absolute simplicity and option for battery power are compelling reasons for the JamMan Express XT.

The price point of that Zoom unit looks awesome. I've got $230 in JamMan Express XT plus Trio. Street price for Trio+ looks like $300. Still, having had an earlier dum machine unit and computer software, I'm finding this thing to be what none of those were to me.

17. 782369

782369 Tele-Meister

If YOU enjoy it, that is all that matters. Don't let anybody else tell you what is good and what's not.
    It was not my thing but I'm sure a lot of people enjoy and have fun with it.

18. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Love my Trio and I've learned many things about how to clean up my technique while improvising or accompanying. Also, I've used it to audition various modal progressions and experiment with those.

Modes didn't make sense to me until I tried this (the theory guys are going to rip me for this), but I never quite grasped that the mode only comes into its own in relation to the underlying harmony, which is what makes the mode sound different in relation to Major and Minor Scales (which are also modes).

And it made learning that stuff fun.

Not really interested in the Trio+ as it solves a problem I don't have, but if I see one used and it's as much fun as its predecessor, sure, I'll pick up one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.