Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Don't Like Bridge Pickups - How 'bout You?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grandy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    For noodling on my own 100% neck. ... but in a bandsetting money is in the bridge position!

So yes ... If I was asked to remove a pickup in my Tele, I'd take out the neck pickup.

uriah1 likes this.

2. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    Bridge pickup definitely has its use, I don't deny that. Page can rock out with a tele or LP bridge no problem. And country music would be very different without a telecaster bridge pickup. And yes, using the tone pot and setting the amp for the bridge pickup helps. All those things just don't cure the rigidness of the bridge sound. It's like when you hit a key on the piano and the sound is always the same. It's like it doesn't breath. Neck pickup and in-between positions allow you to twist and shake a note more. Depending how you hit a note changes its character a lot more than on bridge pickup. Crazy, isn't it?

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    I almost never use the bridge pickup on my Jazzmaster. The middle and neck positions are sweet on that thing. I do use the bridge on my SX Tele for overdriven sounds, but I usually park the selector switch in the middle position on both guitars.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    no matter the guitar, I spend 90% of my playing on the bridge pickup.

uriah1 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Same here, and the bridge pickup seems to be where the major differences between types of guitars is most easily heard.

bullfrogblues likes this.

6. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    I have one guitar with only a bridge pickup. That's the only one on which I play a bridge pickup. I'd buy a Telecaster bridge without a pickup hole if they made one.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I agree in general. BUT w A good guitar w the right Bridge p-up you get that response where you can change the tone as well. Instead of a vowel tone it might be a change in harmonics, my Tele is like that. With a deep wood like Linden or Mahogany for a body a P90 bridge will do any nuaince just as well as a neck p-up.

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Try playing in a band context. You'll need that bridge pickup and it'll sound ace when mixed with a good drummer and a full bass.

RoyBGood and Teleterr like this.

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    For Stonsey rock and country, the bridge is the place to be. A good bridge pickup is a wonderful thing (with the tone rolled back).

For me, though, I'm more into jazz and blues, so a good neck pickup is essential and I'm willing to spend more $$$ on the neck. The bridge is more of an afterthought. I'll never own a guitar with just a bridge pickup. Too limiting for me. Sorry all you Esquire and LP Junior fans !

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I have a couple one pickup guitars, but the pickup is in the middle position and works great. Not too bright, not too dark.

11. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2016
    France
    my first build tele has the tonerider vintage plus. hesitated between hot classic and this one. anyhow, great pickups, rarely use bridge :D

12. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    A telecaster without a bridge pickup?!? I’m going to be sick....

13. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I think you are onto something here. I got an LP with P90s a while ago and I'm enjoying the bridge pickup more than any other. It's my first guitar with P90s so I'm still learning.

I am and I use a bright tone so cutting through has never been a problem. But I admit it's a little different when playing with another guitar player. You need to set your sound to compliment each other.

14. jcsk8

jcsk8 NEW MEMBER!

Jun 7, 2017
    Brazil

15. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I just noticed this thread on the bottom of the page while reading another and had to look. Personally I like the neck pickup and mixed positions. Playing at home I hardly ever use the bridge PU. I do end up using it in band situations quite a lot though just to cut through and be heard. I'm particular about bridge PUs though, so many (it seems like most) are too thin or harsh. I'm a fan of mini humbuckers and p90s in the bridge, I also have a Tele with a CS Tex Special I like that's around 10k and a custom wound Strat bridge PU with Alnico 2, 43ga wire wound to around 10k I like. When you're playing with drums, bass and other instruments the bridge PU sounds good sometimes to differentiate you from the other instruments, I think the volume you're running makes a difference too, to me the bridge sounds much harsher at low volume and the neck PU sounds sweeter at low volume when it tends to mush out at volume sometime.

16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

...maybe consider another hobby. Stamp collecting, perhaps?

17. tombob

tombob Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Sonora, TX
    I can understand how someone who is more of a bedroom player and plays primarily clean could not use bridge pickup much. Clean, at low volume the bridge on a lot of guitars can sound piercing and overly bright.
    Nothing like how it sounds at gig volume with a touch (or more) of grit when it smooths out and starts sustaining.

18. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    I think that you're on the beam.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    yes. turned all the way up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.