Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Don't Like Bridge Pickups - How 'bout You?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grandy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Yeah , I ve always thought the "Rhythm, Lead" designations were backwards. I understand the cut thru the band idea , but more treble seems more suited for rhythm.

songtalk and El Tele Lobo like this.

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    "I don't like bridge pickups"

that's crazy talk

cyclopean and El Tele Lobo like this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I almost always use the bridge pickup. Occasionally I'll use the neck for a warmer sounding solo. Maybe it's because when I started playing I was playing mostly thrash metal stuff, but I EQ my amp for the bridge pickup and then just go from there. Nowadays I'm playing rock/country and the bridge pickup is just the sound I'm looking for whether I'm using one of my teles or T-types or my Duesenberg or SG. In fact last night I played a gig with one of my hollowbody arch tops with only a neck pickup and though it sounded good I just wished it had more high end and less boomy lows. Everyone does things differently though. You could use the same pedalboard, amp, and guitar as me and use it in the polar opposite way that I do and still get a sound you like. As long as it sounds like you that's what matters.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Love 'em, next question?

El Tele Lobo likes this.

5. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I felt the same way about my bridge pups until I discovered the tone knob.

6. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    yep bridge single coil on strat sounds thin THATS WHY I put it into two amps one of them being bass head and mix it together for peerless performance and unheard fatness - keeping unique strat bridge attack (you can hear this fattness on Red Hot Chilly Peppers - Blood sugar sex magic album in every other song)

BTW How did you manage to tune Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic guitar?

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You don't have the right bridge pickup, and / or you don't play with other people.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    If you don't like your bridge pickup, turn the mids up on your amp and back off the treble. Now try, better?

El Tele Lobo likes this.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I've been playing electric for less than a year, and have only had a Telecaster, I would say I enjoyed the bridge first and have been on a learning process to like the neck. I was probably primed to like the bridge a lot by having a teacher who is primarily a Tele player and who favors the bridge and can make the bridge pickup do tons of different things.

There is plenty of music I've worked on where the bridge is just instantly the obvious or even the only choice. For certain types of chording especially the beginner type stuff the neck pickup seems obvious but then is still work to make it sound nice. It's quite rare for me to want to use the neck with any gain. I'm usually trying to figure out how to clean up the muddiness the neck can have. But now as I'm starting to really be more comfortable with different muting techniques with chords, or playing some of the strings but not all of them, using selective muting, etc.. I am starting to like the bridge more for that stuff too.

I changed out the pickups in my MIM after ~6 months of owning it. If it was just for the bridge I probably wouldn't. The neck is what motivated me to upgrade my guitar.

10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Strat bridge w/fuzz. Les Paul bridge w/OD. Done and done. :)

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's all in my head. I convinced myself of this years ago and for whatever reason I still believe it.

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Love a good bridge pickup-if I could have only one it would be a bridge pickup

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    I play surf, so... yeah. Bridge. For a long time there early on, I might as well have been playing an Esquire.

I can tolerate a neck pickup these days, but I’ll always default to the bridge.

14. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I'm with Ray on this, as well as getting older and mellower. LOL
    I can use the bridge pickup on my Tele just fine (heck, i even built an Esquire just for that bright raucous tone), and the bridge pickup on my DeArmond equipped Gretsch gets me the sounds I need for 60s RnR.
    But I can't go there with my MIM Strat. Too thin and weak. And no tone control to boot. I'd like to be able to play the Strat for more songs - especially some of the Rick-ish early Beatles tunes - but the closest I can get is the middle pickup. I may have to do a pickup swap at some point.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    This is why the vintage wiring (no load bridge). If you don't have it, it's a very good idea. People will tell you it's unplayable, too bright etc... But a Strat bridge pickup is a very potent sound, if used right.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I can't imagine life without both. The secrets have already been revealed in this thread, but I'll add a third:
    1) Tone control (w/volume adjustment).
    2) The pickup that you really like (will take trial and error to get there).
    3) EQ adjustment (I do it with a pedal).

And yes, sometimes my neck becomes the lead and the the bridge as rhythm or visa-versa totally depending on the song and mood.

41144 likes this.

17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Love them, I play almost all the time in bridge position.

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    The bridge pickup is just a tool in your sonic toolbox, nothing more, nothing less.
    As are the volume and tone knobs.
    And your pedals, if you use them.

It's nice to have options.
    :)

19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Very few options in this case.
    :(

[​IMG]

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    LOTS of musical and tonal options in this case.
    :D

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.