Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Don't Like Bridge Pickups - How 'bout You?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Grandy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I love both ends of the tele!! I can say this! That bridge pup is a wonderous marvel of complexity! It will blend with, enhance, sweeten or boost any other pickup. Series or paralell with any other pickup is sheer magic.
    By themselves they are THE most versatile most expressive!! Love the neck pup too!
    Leo got it right the first time.

Deneb and TwangToInfinity like this.

2. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    I disliked them for years ,never used them alone, just with another pickup. Then I got into Mike Campbell and learned how to play on them . Now I love them. You have to play cleaner with better technique especially vibrato. Tele bridge pickups are designed to be played alone. With a strat a baseplate helps, as does a blend pot to roll on just a touch of neck pickup to fatten them up just a little

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I don't dislike them, but im a neck pickup guy all the way.

4. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    how about me?

i think theyre the main reason!

even when playing Duane Eddy!

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I couldn't really come to terms with bridge pu until I started completely rolling off the treble on my amps (which of course depends a lot on the individual amp), especially with any single coil pu.

6. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    This is not written in any cind of anger...I find this discussion amusing because this is the telecaster forum, the bridge pickup (and bridge) is what give the telecaster it's distinct sound.
    If you dont like the bridge pickup then you're really in the wrong place:D

41144 likes this.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I like a variety of tele bridge pickups...now, New York in June...not so much...

8. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2006
    Arizona
    Neck pickups always sounded too doodle-de-doo for me. Give me the loud, harsh, raucous tone of a bridge pickup, and leave it there.

9. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    For me it was just a matter of finding the right pickups. Don Mare Hot Bakelites. No ice pick, clear and bright. When driven they have a great growl and bark.

Not me but this is the best demo of the pickups out there.

41144 likes this.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    If you are a Tele player, then I can't possibly understand why you would never use the bridge pickup as it is such an iconic sound.

At any rate, I use all positions on almost all of my guitars. Some guitars might need adjustment to the height of the pickups so they balance up with one another. If you play loud tube amps. then for sure you would be on your bridge pickup more often as they tend to cut through the overdrive with more pizzazz My natural proclivity is to use the bridge pickup more for rhythm and use the neck pickup for leads when I am playing above the 10th fret. It really depends on context and what I want to hear.

Deneb likes this.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    But on most strats that also means one hyphenated word - re-wiring! My strat is wired with one tone control for the neck and middle and one for the bridge. I STILL don’t play the bridge by itself though. I sometimes use that control when I’m in the bridge-middle position...

12. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my fav bridge pu is this stacked wilko p90..... :D

oregon pine marks.JPG

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I always tried to achieve good tone from the bridge pickup without the use of the guitar's tone pot, because (and I could be completely wrong here), it seems like when the tone knob on a guitar is dialed back, the signal is hitting the amp with less ummpphh!! I prefer to hit the amp with everything it has, then use the treble knob at the amp to dial back the highs. Again, my approach might be as valid as carrying a lucky rabbit's foot, but I've convinced myself that I can hear the effect of this....

Teleterr likes this.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have never got along with tone controls either. I wish I could! If the sound is too trebly then I tend to keep scrolling through pickups or play with a different technique etc,. I can certainly see why guys are fussy about the tone controls on a tele, especially concerning the bridge pickup. I have no tone control on my guitars, but I like to think I have some control over their tone without one..

3-Chord-Genius and Teleterr like this.

15. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    That re-wire is moving one wire from one lug to another. Crazy simple. And so worth it.

I use the tone knob on all my guitars. You may believe you're choking off your guitar's "ummpphh" but that's nothing I've experienced.
    And even if there were some truth to it, just bump up the volume knob when you roll back the tone.

Of course if you're a "leave all the guitar controls on 10" kinda player, then.....I got nuthin'...

16. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It took me a long time to find bridge pickups I liked. Now that I have found several I use the bridge more than ever. I love neck pickups though. That classic bright jazzy tone from nocaster pickups is my favorite tele tone. I only like the bridge with gain.

17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    I guess everyone is different, because I've never found a neck PU that I want to spend much time on. These days I'm a bridge-only player, and the last couple guitars I've owned have had a single bridge PU.

18. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    Interesting thread. I live mainly on bridge pickup when gigging, but switch to the neck pickup for blues and certain songs which need it. For rockabilly, it's neck+bridge (e.g. stray cat strut) or bridge.

19. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just the opposite. I want the cut and clarity of the bridge pickup for rhythm, it seems to find its place in the band mix that way. For solo time, when there might be more space for me and less clutter to cut through, that's when I'll go to the neck for a tone that's more smooth and "singing", with a little help from an OD or fuzz.

Teleterr likes this.

20. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Guess the OP wouldn't like my LP Jr. then.

Teleterr likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.