Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I don't get Neil Young's "On the Beach" album

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hemingway, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    "Walk On" is a favorite NY song. I bought the single when it came out. I never bought "On the Beach." I waited almost a year for "Zuma" to come out just to hear "Lookin' For A Love" again after he played it at the S.N.A.C.K. concert in San Francisco with Dylan, Tim Drummond and some of the Band.

Neil's first solo album "Neil Young" is still my favorite. He's never done another album like that again. And "Everybody Knows..." was a huge influence on me musically. I think I learned about every song on that album. It still takes me back to rainy days in the Santa Cruz Mountains in the Spring of '69.

Obsessed likes this.

2. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    "Everyone Knows this is Nowhere" is my Neil album.

Uncle Bob likes this.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I play them all up through Zuma. The rest of his stuff is more like dj fodder for me, song-by-song.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA

6. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    My thoughts exactly.

Can several thousand square miles of salt pan count as a beach if there are enough seagulls? If so, you're in luck! ;)

dlew919 likes this.

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    My first exposure to any aspect of this album was this cover:

It was at least 10-15 years before I heard the original.

As for On the Beach, I can certainly see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. If there's one artist where nobody likes every album, it's gotta be Neil Young. But this album just captures a gloomy mood perfectly. I put it in the company of some of the best work of Lou Reed or Richard Thompson for "doom and gloom".

8. nielsk

nielsk Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    whackiest banjo, simplest of arrangements, love it

and the song is still given its due attention.

Agitator likes this.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Neil just seems to be one of those artists where I flip back and forth on favourites....The Beatles and Steely Dan are the same. Picking a favourite album just depends on the day, or the mood I'm in. On The Beach is definitely up there in my group of fave's, along with After The Goldrush and Tonight's the Night....also really love some of the live one's like Massey Hall

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What do you mean, Zombie?

I really don't care for resurrection of 10 year old threads, but a couple months ago? That ain't no Zombie!

11. boris bubbanov

I'm a contrarian. When it comes to Neil, especially so. I really, really liked On The Beach and Tonight's the Night, until I found out a whole bunch of other people had followed the same path and so then I decided I like _____________ and _________ and I ain't saying which ones they are because I don't want to start any trends. Neil Young is most exquisite when you can't find anyone at the party that knows the lyrics to a certain NY song. Once NY becomes popular in the way Bruce Springsteen or Ed Sheeran is popular, the spell is broken.

Paul in Colorado has mentioned he likes that first, eponymous solo album - the one with The Loner on it. I'm not surprised to hear he likes it; I just wish I didn't notice.

When it comes down to it, you can immerse yourself in most any Neil Young album and just bliss out - or whatever it is that happens when we put it on repeat. No matter which one (other than Trans and Re Ac Tor) you're bound to find something very worthwhile.

Because, don't forget: It is All One Song. :^)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Uncle Bob and Chip like this.

12. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    The first time I heard it i had the same impression than you... The second i liked it better. After hundreds of listens I think there is something special going on with that album, it is always opeining up a little more for me, every time I push the play button I like it better. Specially "Revolution Blues" & "On The Beach" ...those two songs are some of Neil's greatest masterpieces.

I think Zuma is the one I listen the most. But it doesn't have this "opening up" effect tho, I get pretty much the same feeling all the time.

13. Maybe not my complete favorite but I think it's a great album... just has a feel to it.

14. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Did Skynyrd ever reply to "Walk On," or did Neil Young get the last word?

15. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm the real contrarian because I love ReAcTor. It's got three of my favorite Young songs: "Opera Star," "Shots," and "Southern Pacific." To me, those three are good enough to redeem the album. "Shots" may be good enough to carry the album on its own.

Chip likes this.

16. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    From a 1985 Melody Maker interview with Neil Young regarding On the Beach

"I was pretty down I guess at the time, but I just did what I wanted to do, at that time. I think if everybody looks back at their own lives they'll realise that they went through something like that. There's periods of depression, periods of elation, optimism and scepticism, the whole thing is.... it just keeps coming in waves.

You go down to the beach and watch the same thing, just imagine every wave is a different set of emotions coming in. Just keep coming. As long as you don't ignore it, it'll still be there. If you start shutting yourself off and not letting yourself live through the things that are coming through you, I think that's when people start getting old really fast, that's when they really age.

'Cause they decide that, they're happy to be what they were at a certain time in their lives when they were the happiest, and they say 'that's where I'm gonna be for the rest of my life'. From that minute on they're dead, y'know, just walking around. I try to avoid that."

http://thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/ditch.htm

There is also in interview on the youtube which I can't find now where Neil Young says (major paraphrasing here but I think it's the jist of it) it was all about Nixon and Watergate (remember this was 1974) and that he felt the American dream was over as a result. So he says he picked up the patio furniture at Pier One and the rear fender from his scrap yard and went to the Beach. The rear fender in the sand represents the American dream was now gone , buried. This is all IIRC and no intention of directly quoting Mr. Young.

Uncle Bob likes this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    As with most of his stuff, OTB is a reflection of rebellion in Him. I like almost anything Neil Young just for the raw angst. OTB is good raw stuff in every way IMO.

TeleAnthony likes this.

18. boris bubbanov

I do like "Southern Pacific"! :^)

King Creole likes this.

19. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    Count me as another Reactor fan.

King Creole likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.