Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I couldn't pass It up !!! NGD

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by coonhollow greg, Jan 12, 2018.

1. coonhollow greg

coonhollow greg Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    I saw this on Craigslist for $50 last week and responded to the listing. I didn't hear back and figured someone jumped on it before me. He messaged me this morning and said he still had it. He was in jail all week . I went to check it out and... Ta-Da!!! It's a G-400. He got it to refinished, but stripped the back of the neck and gave up. My thought is that the parts are worth more than the price. 1515807373872.jpg 1515807398268.jpg

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have dealt w/ a lot of CL flakes, and that's a new one on me, at least he is honest..

3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's a score for sure! Some of those are really nice. I have seen some large variance in the width of the necks but if you get a good one that's not too wide they're great. Are those aftermarket tuners too? Look kind of like lockers with keystone knobs - not original AFAIK.

Congrats,
    Rex

coonhollow greg likes this.

4. Clifford1

Clifford1 TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Kansas
    Steal of a pricetag. Congrats

5. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    $50? Yikes......that's a "right place at the right time" deal!

jvin248 and coonhollow greg like this.

6. coonhollow greg

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    They are Grovers

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That looks like a veneer top and back style, so be careful if you do more sanding. Or not and sand through it to show the true wood under the veneer.

Because it's a veneer version, those were all made in China or at least the ones I have had or have seen were. The Korean ones tend to be more collectible and the difference is 0.033uF tone caps of whatever type you have handy. Gives more 'presence' to the tone even when the tone is wide open.

If you swap volume pots high for brighter or low for darker measured kohms you won't need to swap pickups. I used to swap pickups until I figured out how much influence the controls had even wide open. If those are the older epiphone pickups that are too muddy, then a 0.047uF cap in series with the hot lead fixes them back to a glorious tone.

Classic Red or Black?

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    Watch out, you'll be in jail for stealing that guitar.;)
    Great score.

9. coonhollow greg

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    It's not a veneer, it's solid mahogany. The old owner sanded the back of the neck and headstock so without a serial number I read up on it to date it as a 2003 or 2004. In 2003 they started using Grover tuners and 2004 was the last year of Gibson on the truss rod covers. This has both. I think I will pull a pickup and see if it has a date. The neck has a scarf joint with a mahogany headstock and what I think is a korina shaft. That is what Wikipedia says anyway.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    My golden rule;

If it plays nice, sounds good, and stays in tune?
    It's a keeper.

Made in China, made in Korea, made of plywood, made of mahogany, whatever.
    It cost fifty bucks, and it says Epiphone on the headstock.
    Not much worth arguing about here.

Play the $-hit out of it, and let us know how it works out.

;)

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I've been waiting for a call-back on a similarly smokin' deal on something on the Tucson craigslist for 24 hours now. The seller only listed an e-mail, and I've sent three that say "I'll take it!" with no response, but it is still listed, so I am hopeful. If I get it I'll post it here, but at this point I am despairing like you were.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Put some sort of finish back on the neck and play it like ya stole it. 'Cuz ya did.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Listing deleted - no reply. Some days you're the fire hydrant, and some days you're the dog.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I was going to ask about serial numbers, buying from someone in jail

Fantastic price but any time I score a price like this some guy I work with says 'you know that is stolen, don't you?'

15. coonhollow greg

Jul 19, 2014
    roseburg,oregon
    That crossed my mind, but after I talked to him, I thought it was legit. The jail time was drinking related. Roseburg isn't a big town so a Craigslist ad would have been a really bad idea

Piggy Stu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.