Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I could never go back to modeling...nothing is as good as tubes...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I prefer tube amps if I'm playing a maple fretboard.

SS / Modelling amps sound better with rosewood board - much warmer tone that way.

...on a more serious note, how about modelling amps with actual output transformers?
    Surely that big chunk of iron is a key component of what folks love about vintage amps...

The new Supro line of pedals have OTs in them - and they sound great.

2. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

My experience confirms OP’s statement. I now do have a great tube amp and I’m so excited about playing guitar... I was playing SS and even some modeling amps for years and before I bought my JCA I was pretty sure I’ll get the Blackstar ID CORE 100w. To each their own, but in my JCA I found what I was looking for and I’m sticking with it. Best $160 I’ve spent on gear.

3. Mase

Mase TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    I don't care... much.Just wanted to say thanks to Blowtorch and Obsessed for their exchanges on the first couple of pages.Laugh ?...... i nearly wet myself.

blowtorch likes this.

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That Mustang looks great in the white cabinet. I bought mine before those limited "models" came out, otherwise.....
    For those who need that hot tube and dust smell to feel at home with their amps, suggest you go to your local vape shop and have them mix you a bottle of vape juice that smells like tubes and dust. Apply a few drops to any non conductive part of the amplifier that heats up. Works great IMHO.

fjlauer likes this.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    practice makes it not matter

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I really wish I could like this post more than once.

Who gets to draw the line as to what modeling is. There have been many pedals, preamps etc over the decades that have "modeled" different rigs completely in the analog realm, it doesn't have to be "digital" modeling.

Here this models a early 80's cranked stack, but it models it with a real preamp tube fed into real power tube soak>cab modeler. Run it and it's cab sim out into a old Roland orange Cube20 and wil melt faces at 20ft distance.

[​IMG]

Frodebro likes this.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    but his tone has been **** for many, many years. he is easily my fave and least fave player at the same time. In fact i've never liked his tone, but what he plays is priceless.

fenderchamp likes this.

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Often tube amp are much more expensive ,heavier and have much better and larger speakers.I use a DV Mark little jazz ,not a modelling amp ,and a Joyo American sound pedal and find its fine at any volume .I would love a huge house and garden with no neighbors and a sound proof studio because really thats what you need to fully utilize a tube on heat .Lower volumesj ust turn i back into a modelling amp .

9. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2013
    melbourne
    I kinda find that no matter what I use, I am always trying to get the same sound.

Still using the original pod and love the soldarno preamp, but do miss that "feeling" of the air moving that you get from tubes.

Never been able to get anything decent out of transisters.

Edit: the thing is, you get the ultimate sound on one song and the same sound is total crap on another song

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    there is a certain "is"ness that is missing when playing out of a kemper, less so out of axefx2(but thats probabaly because axe's effects are better than kemper by a wide margin.) I find that my ears get less tired of sounds from tube amps, kempers... i just dont like the sound.. a certain fakey punchiness i cant wrap my head around.

there is a time when the 80/20 rule applies and someone should have modeling...like traveling and a wide repertoire of music... i could totally see axefx2 into vht 2100 or something. or a beginner studio with a tight budget should definitely do kemper... but id never buy new. those mother effers prices are abominable.

11. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I like both but I prefer live a tube amp. I use Bias FX amps at home to demo and they do sound cool.

12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Didn't he play through a mic'd Pignose for the most part?

13. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I have tried to get into modeling amps, because on paper, they make more sense for a stay at home noodler like myself, but they just sound harsh to me and on a side note, the cosmetics of all of them are horrible. I do have one solid state amp and that's an old tweed Fender Bronco, it sounds fantastic as long as you put a good reverb pedal in front of it.

As far as the modeling amps with all the computer downloading and software whatever, that's not for me, it's too much.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    This statement applies to me too. I've been pretty successful at getting a workable tone through lots of different stuff. It's kind of freeing, really.

An early eye-opener for me was one day I was playing through a Line 6 Lowdown 110 bass combo and realized that cranking the SWR model (really clean), EQing it to be pretty bright, and using the onboard compressor...sounded pretty good, punchy, and loud for a little one-foot cube.

SS Peavey with compression pedal...Lowdown 110...early Pods...Fender Princeton or Deluxe...I guess what I like is pretty easy to get on a variety of gear.

Now I need to borrow a powered mixer head and try that, then post here...just to be annoying.

15. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

It worked for Duke Robillard.

16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Really? That's it, I'm trying it.

At my first band practice as a bassist, I played through a Peavey 4-channel mixer's master section and a SP5ti PA cabinet with a Scorpion 15 and a blown horn, and it sounded pretty good for rock P-bass tone once I turned it up a bit.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Robillard played through a Peavey 4-channel powered PA head, both with the Pleasure Kings and with The Fabulous Thunderbirds. He was endorsing Pearce amplifiers at the time, so he had the Pearce where the audience could see it, and the Peavey hidden behind it, connected to the speaker in the Pearce cabinet.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    SS amps are close to perfect but have little real character. You can have perfect cleans and perfect fuzz. SS amps can sound lush or thin. What you don't get is an identifiable tone that's theirs alone. You can't get the beautiful cleans and chime of a Deluxe Reverb. You can't get the grit and crunch of a Mesa Boogie. That's because tube amps are by nature imperfect. They change over time. They have bad personality traits. They hiss at you. They pop. They get a little microphonic. But they're real. A SS amp is like a Stepford wife. A good tube amp is like your lover.

t guitar floyd likes this.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I would not classify the "saturation" overdrive of the old 80's era solid state Peavey Bandit 65 as perfect or even close to perfect. It's mushy and has lots of character. I hated it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.