Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I could never go back to modeling...nothing is as good as tubes...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I'm kind of late to the modeling party, and what's worked for me in appreciating them is to be sort of caveman about it. I plugged in with a general idea of what kind of tone I wanted and whatever knowledge I've accumulated about how compression and EQ works and what kind of feel I like...and started twisting knobs. If you don't think too much about the technology inside while you're twisting knobs it can free you up to listen to the results and adjust further according to what you hear. I got a bass tone I liked right away doing that, and a clean guitar tone, and a lap steel tone. A couple months later, I still like those tones (with a few subsequent and minor EQ adjustments) so it's not just gear-honeymoon.

But this is not to say modeling is where it's at and tube amps are stupid. They're all tools; I chose this one because it was a way I could afford to get a compact do-it-all box that sounded good to me.
    It doesn't have a cool warming-up smell, though...I miss that about the tube amps I used to have.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i have and use both. for rehearsals and gigs i prefer all tube amps and a small pedal board, but for practice and recording at home i prefer to use a modeler and a solid state amp.
    i figured out how to turn on the spiderIII where only the power amp works and i run a pod into it.
    stereovoxs.jpg
    IMG_20170411_185355.jpg

3-Chord-Genius and mnutz like this.

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I like to play stuff I can build, tweak, maintain, and repair. My guitar skillz and ears don't really care either way. But a modeler only checks the "tweak" box.

3-Chord-Genius and dougstrum like this.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO

This kinda all applies to what we're talking about. I like the idea of having so many different amps at your disposal, but that's only cool if they can reproduce the nuances of tubes that most of us are after. Again, why emulate when you can just get it. Not all tube amps are priceless, I'd rather have one or two that I really like and maybe add a modeling amp for those other flavors when needed.

A modeling amp would be cool when you wanna sound like a lap steel or get that country compression and slap-back delay without buying more and more pedals, but those are easier to emulate than tubes, at least for now...

5. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    I would have agreed until I tried the 80w Roland Blues Cube.

6. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I like both. Sorry, but some modeling sounds pretty good. At volume tubes sound great, but there's a dwindling list of places I can play with volume. Even gigs...

3-Chord-Genius and mnutz like this.

7. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    And what you say makes sense but what if you're one of those weirdos like me who likes using a couple of amps that realistically could not be replaced/obtained easily? I have a pair of amps I love using that I don't believe can be found most anywhere?
    However I need to be honest and open minded here...... I'd be willing to bet I'm "hearing" a bit of these great amps through my eyes as I know how rare they are. Given a side-by side recording with similar amps, I'd most likely not know the difference.

Sconnie likes this.

8. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I agree. I have 7 tube amps and I *think* 4 solid state, with 2 being Line 6 , plus I have a Variax JTV59.

I like 'em all, but love the feeling of a good tube amp driven to the point of pure bliss.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If I were to own the actual amps that made all of the profiles I have for my Kemper, it would cost me upwards of $80K-$100K, and would require a ton of space to store everything, not to mention the cost of tubes for all of those amps.

Some people don't need or want that level of versatility, many are content with one or two basic sounds with very little effects. For those people, modeling may be the wrong choice for them. That doesn't mean that it's the wrong choice for everybody, though.

It's just like guitars-many are perfectly happy with just one or two, and many others love having a lot of different guitars available.

Jim Dep and Sconnie like this.

10. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Some people don't need or want that level of versatility, many are content with one or two basic sounds with very little effects. For those people, modeling may be the wrong choice for them. That doesn't mean that it's the wrong choice for everybody, though.

I'm in the camp not needing a lot of versatility. I'm either playing
    jazz or hillbilly boogie~a simple tweed is all I need:)

A friend wanted me to help him figure out how to get a good sound
    from his line 6, it was beyond me...

As far as the reliability of tube amps, they'll always need some maintenance; but in all my years of playing, I've only had two
    dramatic failures on stage.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Versatility is overrated. I'm happy if an amp has one great tone.

SolidSteak, mnutz and King Creole like this.

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Well, was never meant to be a debate, just a statement of joy over little glowing bottles....in a "Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum"...makes me think there are modeling amp spies in here...

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I think one point I should have made more clearly is that some of us, or at least me, aren't out to emulate tube nuances in the first place; for such a player, a modeler is a set of tone-shaping tools and when seen as a blank canvas, it's a tool with some range.

And as to the point made above about versatility being overrated...I want an amp with one great sound, and as luck would have it I feel I've got it with my setup...but my reason for going this route this time around was, this unit got me a tuner/compressor/preamp I Iiked/enough output to drive a power amp/noise reduction/flexible EQ. Convenience and affordability, and ease of setup.

Sconnie likes this.

14. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I've owned a pretty good selection of amps over 20 or so years. Also I worked in guitar shop for 4 years and played all day through every imaginable setup. All tube, solid state, hybrid, and digital modeling.

I always hated anything that wasn't all tube, even the "good" hybrid stuff like Hughes & Kettner.

Anything that wasn't all tube never felt as dynamic and touch sensitive as a good tube amp. I haven't tried any of the new high end stuff like Kemper though.

I recently bought a Vox Stomplab for silent practice. I'm pretty amazed at how great it sounds, and even how good the dynamics are! I've owned Pods and older gen Digitech and Zoom modeling pedals, but this Vox seems to me to be in a whole different league. I'm pretty shocked that I dig it so much.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

15. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I am definitely a tube & pedal guy. I've owned modellers & just could never bond with them. The guitar player, who plays in our band, uses a Line 6 twin. He gets really great tones out of it. However he sometimes takes too much time between songs finding a preset.

16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    BHM, I apologize if I am coming off like a "modeling spy," or some kind of tube amp disparager. That wasn't my intention upon weighing in, and I did so without noticing that this post was in the tube amp forum.

I've owned and enjoyed tube amps and may yet own one again, when and if my tonal goals shift and I'm on the hunt for a rig update.

Carry on, and have fun...no offense or negativity intended here.

17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    This is a perspective many people don't understand, I like the way you've stated it! I don't have a modeling amp, and I haven't tried one very recently, but maybe I'll give them another once-over. I think my early experience with them and the new strat I acquired at the time just didn't sound right to me. Any SS amp for that matter didn't sound good with the guitar. When I plugged it into a tube amp however, it opened up so much and sounded like I wanted a strat to sound. I think that experience embedded a visceral predisposition for tubes that I'm still carrying, despite playing my strat the least these days.

Both can happily have their place if they're approached the right way!

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Guitar forums are in a weird time right now.

For every "toobs are done, I just bought the Helix/Amplflier/Katana/etc", theres a contradicting "modellers suck, toobs are eternal" thread.

its odd. I wonder how long the debate will continue.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Just ask the "guitar is dead" and "rock music is dead" crowd! :D

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It's no different than the Mesa/Marshall or Fender/Vox amp debates, or Les Paul/Strat/Tele/335 arguments. Opinions are as varied as peoples' tastes and preferences, and the only consistent factor amongst the more "enthusiastic" participants is the unwillingness (or inability) to open their minds to viewpoints differing from their own.

DaveKS likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.