Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I could never go back to modeling...nothing is as good as tubes...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    To address the side effects of the "medical medicine". :lol::lol::lol:

J Hog likes this.

2. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I finally realised I had to exclusively use tube amps when my audience started walking out in protest at the lack of response and warmth in my modelling amps.

People were in tears, dropping to their knees, shouting "Why? WHY?? Please play with tube amps!! My world is at an end!!"

Et cetera.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm holding out for a modeling amp that has tubes.

bluesholyman, robrob and Jakeboy like this.

4. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    I have to have both, I just play anywhere and at anytime so effects units processors small modeling amps are quite useful for me to have around. Mutually exclusive tools imo.

danlad likes this.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I could never go back to responding to threads like this...oh, wait. Damn.

rickthescot, matrix and Tomm Williams like this.

6. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

SwissTool.

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Superchamp!

joealso likes this.

9. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Springfield, Oregon
    Nah, You guys are all wrong and I am right. If the amp is not a Fender and isn't pre 1967 it is absolutely no good and worthless.
    Love these threads I will read anything to distract me from actually playing and practicing my guitar. :)

robrob and mnutz like this.

10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    My Twin Reverb sat on a stage in a large Tokyo bar since about the time I was in Kindergarten (Watergate was in the news at the time). It accumulated a thick coat of tobacco smoke from countless thousands of cigarettes (the bar was so smoky it was hard to see the stage from the other side of the room). When I overhauled it earlier this year, my fingers were stained brown from the nicotine which had managed to coat the tubes and small parts. When it warms up, it makes my house smell like the bar where it had spent so many years. My wife hates it, but it sounds so damn good.

11. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    :lol:Why the hell these debates get going is silly. My current collection of amps has reached 24 vintage tube amps of which about 6 are "working" amps and the others are models I've just wanted for my collection.
    Given that, I can easily see where a modeling combo would make a good addition for specific types of gigs.
    Sure I love the sound of a sagging tube rectifier but I could adapt to a modeler pretty quickly too.
    Or maybe that's because my playing sucks so bad it doesn't make a difference?:lol::lol::lol:

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    We need a break now and then from debating the tonal merits of PIO caps and nitro lacquer.

Tomm Williams likes this.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I typically don't understand the mentality of "hey let's try and model this thing that's already very accessible and does it's job perfectly."

However, if transistors and software can bring something else to the table, I'm all ears. It needs to be new though, I won't spend money or time on something that emulates something that already exists.

Newbcaster and bottlenecker like this.

14. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I can see the advantage of modelers (providing they work as well as claimed?) No tubes to die on you. Potentially you have access to every single vintage amp you've ever desired and perhaps could never afford or wouldn't dare take to a gig. I like the concept a great deal but are they really that good?

15. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    scxd.jpg

mnutz likes this.

16. Tsquared

Tsquared TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Florida
    I gave up modeling too. Got old and fat.

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I'd love a design that keeps your signal path all tube and analog, while it digitally alters the circuit values of the amp to manipulate the tone. it'd give the versatility of digital modeling with real tube response, because the amp will essentially morph into any tube amp that it's programed and designed to.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    mnutz and joealso like this.

18. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

That was me. But if I remember right, there were lots of people who stayed to chat and take pictures with their phones.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Didn't ENGL build stuff like that inn the '90s?

And in the '80s when digital synths came out, most analog synths gradually got digital controls of the analog circuit, to eliminate the cost of all the sliders, and allow banks of digital presets of the analog sounds.

JD0x0 likes this.

20. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I stopped using my Mesa Roadster and 4x12 cabinet for gigs. My half stack rig with 12-space road case and pedal board half filled the bed of my truck. It is very loud and I had to resort to all kinds of crazy tactics to balance stage volume, tone, and the directional "beam" of the cabinet.

I bought a Fractal AX8 a few months ago (just in time for the 2017 gigging season) and have used it all year. My tone is every bit as good (if not better) with the AX8, it is more consistent from venue to venue, it is several times smaller (my entire rig fits into a rolling toolbox), it takes a fraction of the time to set-up and break-down, and weighs considerably less.

I get so many compliments on my tone, and few believe the tone I am getting is from the little pedal on the floor. I have every effect known to man and can control any parameter with an expression pedal.

If I were ever to go back to using an amp and cabinet again, it would be the AX8 through a tube power amp and either a 2x12 or 4x12.

I have not yet sold my Mesa because it is my dream amp... but I could sure use the $1500 toward a new guitar.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.