Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I could never go back to modeling...nothing is as good as tubes...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I don't care about what other people use, either. I'm perfectly happy with my gear-both tubes and digital. I'll never sell my Mark V, but 99% of my playing time is with the Kemper. I've still got a 4x12 that has its fun factor as well.

Obsessed likes this.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It's funny - last weekend I went to an open mic, I think I was the only person there with a tube amp - actually, there was one of those small Musicman RD reissues, which sounded not bad.

I got to see a Fender Mustang, and a Crate mini amphead - a bit bigger than those new Vox nanoheads on a Tech21 cab, and a Boss Katana 70 I think it said. So I paid attention.

I just recorded this snippet. The guy on the SG is playing through the Katana. Bass was through a small Mark Bass 12" combo other guitar through I think a SS Princeton 65.

I don't know what he had it set to, it sounds like it struggled to cut through unmicced drums and a 12" bass amp. Even though it's 70 watts I presume. It is a noisy tin factory but it shouldn't have been a big ask. You can hear the people around me talking - it wasn't very loud.

The thing I found was the notes just seemed to die off - even though his Santana setting had bags of sustain. The guy standing next to him, I couldn't hear barely at all. It actually sounds clearer in the recording than it did in the room. It was very indistinct.

The Mustang was OK but not inspiring on what sounded like a Twin Reverb setting, everyone playing clean, slightly digital sounding verb - the guy was doing Shadows stuff, Telstar, Apache on a 50s style Strat of some sort.

Neither of these amps sounded bad - but I'd struggle to play them. Maybe I'm the issue. Yes they're small and light. I'm wondering if that's why they seem - not massive sounding.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    My MIII takes pedals great.

Just sayin

Owenmoney, Jim Dep and Vespa_One like this.

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Everyone likes to stake out their position on this issue, and I have made statements like the thread title before...while in the throes of new-gear-I'm-all-excited-about-honeymoon phase.

I've been giddy about tube amps, solid state amps, weird combinations that surely only I would have thought to put together and therefore I'm a genius, and most recently, a modeling unit.

Thinking about it now, I realize that my position is, it's fun to try stuf out and see what it will do, and most of my memories of fun jams with friends, or collaborative home recording sessions, involved me saying screw it, I'm using what's available and finding a way to make it work. This approach has run the gamut...Explorer through JCM800 head and Hiwatt 4 x 12? Fun! Sounds great! I'm a southern rocker today!

Kay Swingmaster through Music Man hybrid 2 x 12 combo? Damn, love the reverb and tremolo, this is fun! '60s garage band! Or maybe, yeah! Current Japanese ironic retro pop band, or something. Yeah.

Oscar Schmidt Les Paul copy through some compressor pedal and a little Crate G20C stereo amp with 6.5" speakers? Well, weird, but this really compressed almost-breaking-up fat clean tone is kind of neat...hey, I'm some kind of pop guy today, with my simulated micro-JC120.

And so on. If trying new stuff out is fun, you can always go back to ______________. And then move on from that to ____________, and have fun with that too! All of the shortcomings people like to attribute to any particular type of amp or guitar can also be viewed as attributes, if you work with them in the right context.

I was never able to find the right context for the DOD FX69 Grunge pedal someone left at my house years ago, but I bet someone out there could.

coolikedat99 and Frodebro like this.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    It all depends on what you're doing with it.
    Is this your debut at Carnegie Hall, or is it you a bag of Cheeto's a six pack and medical medicine in a bean bag?
    Different tools for different jobs.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I think the biggest factor at play here is what each person is used to. I played hundreds of bar gigs in my younger days using a three-channel tube amp with very minimal effects, and that tends to remain my preferred setup when playing with other people.

However, I also got started in home recording in my teens, and being in my parents' house meant low volume, so I quickly adjusted to direct recording everything (using a Rockman back then, as that was about the only thing available for that application). As a result, I'm also perfectly comfortable playing without the whole "amp in the room" thing.

The only "correct" answer is to go with what works best for you, but also keep in mind that what is perfect for one person may be unusable for someone else.

pondcaster likes this.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Do we really need to do this, every three days or so?
    Reminds me of grade school, "what ever you have mine is better"..a never ending boys w/ toys pissing contest.
    SS is bad, modeling is worse....get TUBES!
    Now you have tubes, too bad it's not hand wired, oh it is, well its not tube rectified, oh it is, well the reverb is not tube recovered, oh, well.. it's not a pine cab, oh it is ..well those speakers sound better in birch..... bla bla bla.
    Perhaps we should all look to Mr. Zappa and head his advice.

images-3.jpeg

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My best friend and guitar mentor after 40+ years of playing and gigging ended up with a MIII as his goto amp and has more pedals than anyone I know too. He has had it all and still can't quite give up one of his Marshall stacks that he never uses anymore, so that verifies your preference. He is a tad younger than me and mainly a shredder, so maybe either that makes a difference or I discount his choice of amps because of that. Nevertheless, the most experienced gigger I know, has the same amp as you. Personally, I can't stand playing through the Mustang line, but I'm an organic blues player ... if that makes any differences ... I don't know.

Wait a minute ... he hangs out here once in awhile. Do you know me?:confused::lol:

Jim Dep likes this.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I doubt it. The only guy I ever knew IRL from Montana was a guy who boarded at my house some years back. One night while drunk he told me he'd killed his stepfather, I wrote it off as braggadocio, but his biological father came to visit on Thanksgiving and his father confirmed that his son had killed the guy. The cops called it self defense.

Did you kill your stepdad? o_O

Obsessed likes this.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Use whatever floats your boat.

These float my boat!

IMG_4725.JPG IMG_4840.JPG

Jim Dep likes this.

11. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Nothing like the wafting aroma of cat pee, mold, and cockroaches once the tubes get warmed up.

thegeezer, Jakeboy and Frodebro like this.

12. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    No step dad, but that means there are two of you out there in the world.:eek: Scary. ;):lol:

Newbcaster and blowtorch like this.

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Well, right, there wouldn't be ;)

unixfish and Obsessed like this.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Leatherman or Emerson CQC7?

Not talking about offing the step dad...

15. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

16. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I could never go back to just tubes or modeling. There is just something magical about a hybrid and how that whole circuit works from end to end that is just inspiring to play.

:)

-archetype, Super Champ X2 owner, being factious because he can

brobar and blowtorch like this.

17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    Hey, I have one of those!

As for amps, I have both tube (Super Champ X2) and solid state modeling (Roland Blues Cubes). In my opinion, it matters not what you use as long as YOU like your sound. Because when YOU like your sound, YOU play better, your band sounds better, and the audience will pick up on that. I don't think most pub patrons where my band plays care about tubes or solid state...

IMG_2795.JPG e whether I have

brobar likes this.

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I use tube amps, I use SS amps and I use modelers (direct to FOH and Monitors). As much as I enjoy my amps, I embrace technology and know how to use my modelers. They all have their place .... they all work well.

Jim Dep and brookdalebill like this.

19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    What are the Cheeto's for?

Johnson johnson likes this.

20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    These threads crack me up.

Love tubes? Cool - play 'em!
    Love Solid State? Cool - play 'em!
    Love modelling? Cool - play 'em.
    Love combinations of the above? Cool - play 'em!

I found what works for me - some of you may know what that is, but it really doesn't matter, because it works for *me*, and "me ain't you". KnowwhatImean? I sometimes think about buying "that other type of amp", but never pull the trigger. But it's still fun to look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.